RW-12d fuse blowing - plz help

Homecrunch

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me? You must have pissed the subwoofer gods off at some point in time. I can't believe your luck. Hopefully audio and 2010 will go much smoother for you.

wish i were ..and i must have. oh well, it happens. again, no arguing or crappy service from klipsch; I called up and immediately reached someone in the RMA dept (after hours, it seemed @ 4:30ish CST) ...there was a long pause after I explained and then she indicated that it had been re-opened, a new part would be sent, and a return label emailed for the incorrect part. Total phone time was under 5 minutes. it's good to know i can get this level of service without having to go through a dealer. :)

i as well,

came back from a week vacation, and find my sub not powering on. worked fine before i left a week ago...

so i go out and buy some fuses and try one, and as soon as i turn the power on it pops it.

pull out the receipt and find i am 10 days still under warranty. so i loaded it up and went to the dealer i bought it from, nov 2, 09......

as of 12/5/09 i was told the amp was on back order from klipsch, and that it would be mid Dec before Klipsch would get it in, and then i have to wait on shipment to the dealer and repair time.

I still do not have my sub back yet.

-------

What would you know.... My KSW-12 is doing the same thing - blows fuse as soon as you plug it into the power outlet. Even though it is in the OFF mode, it still does it.

I'm quite sure sub is out of warranty (at least i don't know where the receipt it at the moment).

I'm curious to hear from others on how their's are fixed.

What would you know.... My KSW-12 is doing the same thing - blows fuse as soon as you plug it into the power outlet. Even though it is in the OFF mode, it still does it.

I'm quite sure sub is out of warranty (at least i don't know where the receipt it at the moment).

I'm curious to hear from others on how their's are fixed.

call klipsch support with your serial# and problem description. they'll troubleshoot and provide you with cost to fix (probably a flat rate ..seems to vary depending on model), set you up with a return authorization, etc etc. Pretty smooth process from my experience.

called the dealer today, and they said the klipsch has still "yet" to ship out the amp. it has now been over 2 months since i brought it in for repair.

i thought that we pay good money and buy through "authorized" dealers so we can get top notch service for our "certified" products... hmmm....

The main amp cicruit is on a separate board. It is the one that has speaker leads attached to it and big capacitors. There are two electronic components that are a part of the AMP and are pressed to an aluminium heatsink plate (MOSFET transistors i believ. Part numbers: # IRF640 and IRF9640. They work in pair and are likely to both go out when one of them dies. At a wholesale - they probably cost less than a buck each,but when you need one fast and in town - $3 each will do [:D]

At least in my case that fixed the blowing fuse problem, but not guaranteed to work for others.

IRF9640

IRF640

Frustration is...getting a call to come pick up your subwoofer amp, its all fixed and ready for you. When I get there, the amp I was shown was for an rw-10 or rw-12 (volume pot and controls in rear for crossover). My amp is lost somewhere - they are making calls to figure out where. Then he suggested that I bring the sub in to the shop (implying that "I" didnt know what kind of sub I had).

...so again, I wait, confidence slowly dwindling.

From seeing these power issues, and in my situation where the gear is located at the shop as listed.

I have been powering all the gear off with the master on the Monster Power strip when I leave for a few days.

Being the subs of this type are sorta always on in standby mode, is this possibly the cause of

these power outage/fuse/amp failures.

I can't imagine sub amps blowing from max power applied, or you'd need to re-screw the

sheetrock back on. If I had mice, I'll bet the neighbors are dealing with them now.

Some Tv's used to have this problem in the early days of instant on.

By all means, I have no idea at what point the sub sees the signal from the A/V unit to come on.

At least this post lessons the shock value of what to expect.

>Case in point, but at $37k they finally figured out and reduced standby power by 95%.

http://hometheaterreview.com/krells-new-evolution-amps-save-power-in-standby-yet-improve-on-audiophile-performance/

Cheers

NEW UPDATE: I received a call yesterday that my rw-12d amp had arrived at the dealer, and was ready for pickup. I stopped by the dealer and got it yesterday. It appears that they just replaced the amp with a new one! The dealer was unsure how much to charge me, so they just charged me $25 for the shipping. They said they may call in 60 days (when thier billing cycle ends), and charge me for other repairs. Total turnaroud time = 44 days.

I'm not too impressed with the way the dealer has handled this. Multiply visits, actually having to bring the sub in so they could "look" at it, and getting the wrong amp back a couple of weeks ago. Now they dont know what to charge me. The amp came with a new power cord and a replacement LCD display. The dealer kept those 2 items because he said I didnt need them. My issue is: If I may have to pay for a new amp in 60 days, dont I get those items? I read in another post here, that Klipsch sends new amps with all that.

If the final cost is $25, then I'm extremely happy!! But if charged for a new amp, I think I should get everything sent.