HDMI's planned & organized obsolescence

Coytee

I've been shown a couple things and thought it might be worth discussing, especially for those of us who might be burying some HDMI wires inside our walls. If you do not do so then it's pretty irrelevant from that perspective because you can always change out your wires easier than I could with mine buried.

Also, and more insidious, the way I understand this is, in about a year, the higher standards of HDMI will kick into place and will essentially render the prior versions useless (relative to using HD) as you will be restricted to using them in a basic lower resolution format.

Read page 96 of this attachment (as counted from page counter on LEFT side of page, or scroll down to page "E-16" I've copied what it says. I obtained this at http://www.aacsla.com/license/ I'll underline what I think is very interesting.

The entire document is attached if you want to read more stuff. As I understand this... this is the epitome of planned obsolescence which, (referring to HDMI cables only) if you have easy access to them might not be a huge deal. If however, you have buried them in your walls then it seems upgrading to a CAT 6 pair of wires would allow you to use the same set of wires as this upgradeitus proceeds.

2.2.1 An analog output of audio, or of the audio portions of other forms of Decrypted AACS Content; or

2.2.2 An analog output of video delineated in Table A1, AACS Analog Authorized Outputs, in accordance with any associated restrictions and obligations specified therein and in the Agreement, and subject to the following sunset requirements:

2.2.2.1 Analog Sunset – 2010. With the exception of Existing Models, any Licensed Player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall limit analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD Interlace Modes only. Existing Models may be manufactured and sold by Adopter up until December 31, 2011. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Adopter may continue to manufacture and sell an Existing Model in which the implementation of AACS Technology is a Robust Inactive Product after December 31, 2010 provided that when such Robust Inactive Product is activated through a Periodic Update, such Periodic Update results in a Licensed Player that limits analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD Interlace Modes only. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to override limitations or obligations stated in any other section of this Agreement.

For purposes of this section, “SD Interlace Modes” shall mean composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video.

2.2.2.2 Analog Sunset – 2013. No Licensed Player that passes Decrypted AACS Content to analog video outputs may be manufactured or sold by Adopter after December 31, 2013.2.3 Digital Outputs. A Licensed Player shall not pass, or direct to be passed Decrypted AACS Content to a digital output except:

2.3.1 A digital output of audio, or of the audio portion of other forms of Decrypted AACS Content, in compressed audio format (such as AC3) or in Linear PCM format in which the transmitted information is sampled at no more than 48 kHz and no more than 16 bits.

2.3.2 An output delineated in Table D1, AACS Authorized Digital Outputs in accordance with any associated restrictions and obligations specified therein and in the Agreement.

AACS_Content_Participant_Agrmt see page 96 or E16.pdf

The sound of the information seems to be that the industry is building machines to limit analog output quality to make it harder to copy. It was originally planned to use and Image Constraint Token in the software to tell the player to limit analog video qiality. Software is easily defeated, so now it will be done in hardware.

The deal with HDMI is that v. 1.4 is already upon us. Next will be 1.5? Large conduits should be used for inwall installations so new cable can be pulled.

Bill

The way it was presented to me is if you do not have the proper hardware by the time this is fully implimented, your current hardware "will go dark". As I understand, "going dark" is to mean your fancy HD tv or your fancy blue ray player will only play in the lowest resolution format, not in HD.

While discussing it, I said "it shouldn't matter to people like me who already have a working setup... if the standard changes and I don't buy the upgraded hardware for my Blue Ray player, I'll still be able to play what I have"

I was told that I was wrong. (I might mention that I think this is exclusive only to blue ray technology?) Seems part of the agreement is actual DVD's or things you might put into the system can have some code embedded into them that will render the hardware back to the lowest resolution and there won't be much anyone can do about it.

What I personally find interesting is it was my quest to find some longer HDMI cables to bury into my wall that led me to the suggestion of burying Cat 6 wires instead. A little confused, I turned some more rocks over and was once again, directed to some of the stuff posted above. Now I'm glad he suggested I use Cat 6 in my walls because as we go from HDMI 1, HDMI 3 to HDMI 53,590 I can simply change the wall connectors up to the limits that Cat 6 will work for me rather than discovering after this blackout event hits us that my HDMI 3.27 cable that is buried in my walls, is my weak link, killing my HD signals.

Not to sound like I'm crying wolf, but I have to wonder if everyone here actually realizes (or cares?) about the implications of the above.

I could be wrong but it sounds to me like the players will no longer be allowed to output composit info after this takes effect. The HDMI has built in handshaking from what I understand and only if both ends of the cable are talking to each other and gives the OK, will the signal be sent, thus aiding in the anti copy protection in the hardware. HEY, I could be wrong but that is the way I read it..

As to running cables in the walls etc, I am a firm beleiver in conduit. I don't like romex when I install wires. With a conduit, you can change the wire at will with no hastle, just pull more wire. This is old school and costs more money in the install and thus is the reason most homes are not wired with conduit but in fact are wire stapled in place making change much more difficult. Spend the few extra dollars and run conduit in the walls, you will thank yourself later when you want to add a new wire or change the old ones to something "bigger".

• Moderators

Your equipment will continue to work as long as you don't upgrade to the latest and greatest. My PS3 will continue to play through my HDMI to my projector no matter what changes are made within the industry. It is a given fact that every technology eventually becomes outdated, some faster than others.

My PS3 will continue to play through my HDMI to my projector no matter what changes are made within the industry.

Perhaps it will. I was certainly of the mindset that existing hardware would continue to perform as currently installed. I however, have been told I was mistaken. Evidently, part of the initial agreement of HDMI is this ability to control the hardware and in essence force people to upgrade over time OR force them to accept their signals at no more than 489i resolution.

Note: (presuming I found the right part) Digital Outputs. A Licensed Player shall not pass, or direct to be passed Decrypted AACS Content to a digital output

I do not interpret that to say some or most or those of our choosing won't pass decrypted content to a digital output, I infer it to say "A Licensed Player" which means any player capable of playing this AACS content.

I'm not an attorney nor am I a techno-geek so I might not understand all the details... I'm just reporting that which I've been told and have read for myself, trying to understand it as I go along. I think Cal hit it right on when he said "it sounds to me like the players will no longer be allowed to output composit info after this takes effect. The HDMI has built in handshaking from what I understand and only if both ends of the cable are talking to each other and gives the OK, will the signal be sent, thus aiding in the anti copy protection in the hardware"

If you have something in that food chain that doesn't do a proper hand shake, you will be stuck with either the lowest resolution format or worse, no signal passing. That's my take anyway.

The way it was presented to me is if you do not have the proper hardware by the time this is fully implimented, your current hardware "will go dark". As I understand, "going dark" is to mean your fancy HD tv or your fancy blue ray player will only play in the lowest resolution format, not in HD.

While discussing it, I said "it shouldn't matter to people like me who already have a working setup... if the standard changes and I don't buy the upgraded hardware for my Blue Ray player, I'll still be able to play what I have"

I was told that I was wrong. (I might mention that I think this is exclusive only to blue ray technology?) Seems part of the agreement is actual DVD's or things you might put into the system can have some code embedded into them that will render the hardware back to the lowest resolution and there won't be much anyone can do about it.

What I personally find interesting is it was my quest to find some longer HDMI cables to bury into my wall that led me to the suggestion of burying Cat 6 wires instead. A little confused, I turned some more rocks over and was once again, directed to some of the stuff posted above. Now I'm glad he suggested I use Cat 6 in my walls because as we go from HDMI 1, HDMI 3 to HDMI 53,590 I can simply change the wall connectors up to the limits that Cat 6 will work for me rather than discovering after this blackout event hits us that my HDMI 3.27 cable that is buried in my walls, is my weak link, killing my HD signals.

Not to sound like I'm crying wolf, but I have to wonder if everyone here actually realizes (or cares?) about the implications of the above.

Is it any wonder that consumers are generally not happy about the way that standards and technology is constantly being changed and nothing is ever 'upgradeable'? HD for me has been a white elephant. Even with supposed high-def content from your provider, there is the constant bait and switch.

Ever have the pleasure to watch a SD program on an HD channel, when you are paying for HD content? Boo...providers and big companies should be shamed for doing this, but the average person doesn't have a clue, they are told they have the latest and greatest.

VHS / Beta : SACD / DVD-A: HI-DEF DVD / BLU RAY:

Is it any wonder? Format wars doesn't help consumers or companies.

• Moderators

I forgot to mention that I don't have cable so people that do, it might make a difference for them because the cable company has the ability to change formats (hardware) on their end at any given whim and it forces users to "upgrade" or change out their hardware to comply.

I really am not worried about it though. I really doubt there is a way to lock up any consumer equipment after the magic date. I think it is sort of like the Y2K bug everyone was worried about. Cars will quit running, aircraft will fall out of the sky etc etc etc. Those things never came to pass and I doubt that any equipment that you have in your system that is happy playing together now, will have problems after that date.

I sort of see it like the switch to HDMI from composite. If you buy NEW equipment, you will need to upgrade enough of the chain to get things working again. You can't send analog signals down a digital cable (well you could but to what end?) and when the connectors are only digital and not analog anymore you need to revamp the main units to get them to play happily again.

If I were you I would put in a cat6 and a 22g HDMI. Why? When you convert the video to your projector you slow it down, so now it can lag to your audio. It may not happen on every thing but if the sorce is all ready close to being out of sync you can put out. I fought this in the tv station. Things are coming in all the time with different lip sync so why slow your video down. It's not so cut and dry. It's not the cable that is changing, but the HDMI conversion in the electronics. Always run a extra cat6 just in case, it's safer.