Record Storage Ikea Expedit - lets see photos of yours

tigerwoodKhorns

I have been using the Ikea Ivar modular shelving for the past 20 or so years

not fancy but very strong and functional

approx 1000 albums and room for more

And for ALL albums the discs are in custom sleeves and so are the record covers

I thought it would be a good idea at the time............ apparently I was right [:D]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered 200 more MOFI liners and 2.5 mil outter covers from Sleeve City. They are having a 15% off sale and I could not resist. I really like both of these.

OH - those dirty @#$%!@@ - now 17% off, I could have saved another $2 - I feel like the paperboy in the 1980's movie "Better off Dead."

Anyway, here is a link:

http://www.sleevetown.com/2009-final/final-2009.html

Here is the important stuff (I don't bother with acceassories for silver discs):

Here are the inner sleeves:

http://www.sleevetown.com/lp-sleeves-inner.shtml

Get the MOFI ones. They are only a few cents more than the house brand and are worth it. They have arrows and some printing on the inside so that you can easily find the opening. It makes a difference. They also have the paper sandwiched in the sleeve so it stays firm. These just work so well, I replace all of mine as I clean them.

I tried the round bottom ones, I do not like them. The MOFI's are just so much easier to use.

Here are the outter covers:

http://www.sleevetown.com/lp-sleeves-outer.shtml

The 2.5 mil 12.75" ones are the ones to get. Ther 13.5" ones are good for box sets or double albums. These are very slippery (they will slide over each other when stacked). Not good for stacking but great for putting on a shelf because they stay on really well instead of bunching up when you slide the album into the rack. They also are shinny and make even old ugly album covers look really nice and new.

These products have made a big difference and are really worth it if you like vinyl. Great sale too. If anyone out there does not already have this stuff, these are also great items that you should have (and pick up for a good deal while on sale):

1st, second and 4th brushes on this page.

First two for dry brushing after a record is clean. The first one is good for a light brush. The second is really good for getting into the grooves if things are a litte dusty.

Fourth for cleaning really dirty records with a machine or steam cleaner.

http://www.sleevetown.com/record-brushes.shtml

The second brush on this page is also good for a stylus brush (be careful!)

http://www.sleevetown.com/stylus-care.shtml

$329.43 for shipping? You're kidding, right?

Let's see,

$69.00 for the shelf

$329.43 shipping

32.95 tax

or an 8 hr round trip?

Wish I was kidding. That's from the shopping cart of IKEA. I guess I will have to wait until April when I take my son to the NASA/Cub Scout camp out in Houston as the Mom/Sister deal ain't gonna work, too heavy and big for them to carry and load.

• 2 years later...

Tigerwoodkhorns,

What IKEA record shelf unit did you end up getting?

AND what additional bracing effects did you add to it?

I am on the verge of making a decision to get one, but maybe a larger one OR two of the 1/2 units and stand them up sisde by side.

Actually anyone can chime in on these units.

Thanks,

I picked up a 5 x 5 Expedit bookcase and quickly filled it with LPs. I could use another one but don't have the space in my listening room. They seem very sturdy and quite capable of holding records w/o extra bracing. My only complaint is that the bins aren't tall enough to hold the Mobile Fidelity box sets (Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc.).

Also, I did find a quick and cheap solution to line up the records and keep them from sliding through. I found 5' PVC cable holders at Lowes for just under $5 each. Simply cut to size with shears, peel off the tape backing and press into place. Have fun.

BTW, we have several IKEAs in the Balt/DC/Philly area so these bookcases show up quite often on Craigslist and they are usually cheap (I paid $40 for a 5 x 5 Expedit case and I've seen them in the FREE section as well). I had to disassemble the one I bought but it didn't take long and I knew how to put it back together and that everything was there and undamaged.

No pix at the moment, but I have a closet full of them with some 2400 records and a variety of other audio stuff in my "music room to be" closet.

By far the most cost effective off the shelf solution I've ever seen...and not hard on the eyes, either. Even loaded with heavy 78's no sign of sag or fatigue.

[Y]

I still have quite a bit of "Niklas" which first purchased in the 80s in Singapore. While it ran for a couple of decades, it was regrettably DC'd a few years ago.

One of my "lesser" listening rooms, my library, is lined with Billy bookcases with the full length glass doors. Also a heckeva deal.

Dave

You can also get a number of the individual 5 cube tall by 1 wide units and line them up, very flexible and very sturdy.

If you wanted to add a backing, a 1/4 Masonite sheet should do the trick, you could probably fasten it into place with some screws and clear silicone adhesive all the way around.

Very sturdy

Wow, I really appreciate all the information. I feel better about considering them and probably pick some up this weekend.

During the build process do you add glue to the dowels or is this unnecessary? Anytime I see dowels I just want to add glue. The picture instructions do not show glue.

Thanks Again.

Wow, I really appreciate all the information. I feel better about considering them and probably pick some up this weekend.

During the build process do you add glue to the dowels or is this unnecessary? Anytime I see dowels I just want to add glue. The picture instructions do not show glue.

Thanks Again.

I would not glue the dowels, the units stay together as designed.

Thanks Again.

I haven't looked at the instructions since the first one. Takes about 15 minutes, no glue required. Just pay attention to how things are oriented or you get to do it again.

Dave

Not mine:

YHbTm.jpg

timberrr.jpg

BUMMER

IKEA lists the max load for most of their stuff.

If you use the 5 cubes tall by 1 wide side by side units; you shouldn't have a repeat.

I'm guessing the whole bottle of Elmer's wouldn't have made any difference.

Same load factors but the 5x1 would have had 8 more vertical load bearing risers.

Again, I would use a 1/4 Masonite or furniture grade plywood backing on each 5x1 shelving unit secured with 1 inch ring shank flat head nails ( aluminum roofing nails would work, you can spay paint the heads before installing them) and a fine bead of silicone adhesive all the way around. I would paint the backing (on both sides) before installing it. I would cut the backing about 1/2 inch shorter and 1/2 less wide than the shelf dimensions and be sure to paint the edges.

If you are like me and don't have the tools or the skills, pay a cabinit maker to cut the wood for you or the lumber yard may do it for a modest fee.

Product dimensions
Width: 58 5/8 "

Depth: 15 3/8 "

Height: 58 5/8 "

Max load/shelf: 29 lb

Width: 149 cm

Depth: 39 cm

Height: 149 cm

Max load/shelf: 13 kg

Product dimensions
Width: 17 3/8 "

Depth: 15 3/8 "