Great Find

CIGARBUM

Look what I have found under a cabbage leaf in the back yard. Now I have caught them, what do I do with them. The person I purchased these from did not know a lot about the condition of the drivers. What I have is the following: (2) JBL 2404 Baby Cheeks, (2) JBL 2440, (2) JBL 2470, (2) JBL 2482, (2) JBL 2446. Now the work begins, I would like to refurbish the whole bunch and I have used for most or all of them. About the only thing I know about these drivers is they are supposed to sound real good and they are very heavy.

What I would like to determine and do is the following:

1. How do I determine if they work?

2. How do you determine if they have a bad diaphram?

3. I have heard that you should only replace the diaphram with a JBL diaphram, one of these cost more that I paid for all the drivers. What is wrong with all the aftermarket diaphrams, what difference will you hear? If they do have bad diaphrams where is a good place to purchase?

4. Has anyone had any success in the re-finishing of drivers, I know the factory has the baked wrinkle finish, does something come in a spray can that works well. Is there anywhere you can get the id disk that is on the back, a couple are missing?

I have searched the forum and can't find any associated post to help and I would like to do the work myself.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

CigarBum

post-32367-13819525378672_thumb.jpg

If the diphragm's are all shot you may have paid what they are worth if you plan on using original JBL diaphragms. Still a good deal though as you are now all set.

Check each with an Ohm meter. They shoudl measure about 10 to 11 ohms for the 16 ohm drivers and 6 to 7 ohms for any 8 ohm drivers (if any).

If the 2470's have new phenolic diaphragms like mine, I'll give you the $150 you said mine are worth for the pair. [:|] Sorry I could not resist. Here, I will make it up to you.

When I was at THE Show last year, I spoke to John Wolff of Classic Audio reproductions for a while and we discussed my K Horn project. He makes some awesome horn systems and just plain beautiful wood horns. Here is his website:

http://www.classicaudiorepro.com/

He told me that he does not like the Phenolic dirphragms in the JBL's that we are all willing to pay so much for. He said to purchase Radian replacement diaphragms that are aluminum.

http://www.radianaudio.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=20&Itemid=30

This is second hand news as I have never heard these before, but he has more knowledge than just about anyone on the subject.

The other concern that you may have is the magnets de-gaussing (sp??). You may want to google that. I don't even know how to check this.

Good luck and let us know what you use, especially if you use the Radions.

Have yoy had and wise cracks about your handle? Well I tested all the drivers and they all did very well except the 2470, no reading on the meter, I guess that means that the diapharams are blown. I will have to try the Radians and see how they do, if not, have to go with the real thing.

Your buddy sure has some find looking speakers, real pretty.

Been watching ebay and the 2470 are all over the place, as advertized, new diaphram and all $200-300, my offer wasn't that far off, times are bad

Thanks for the info.

CigarBum

Oh man, I am just razzing you. You may have not known that mine had new diphragms put in by the previous owner. I just could not resist, and it turns out that you were right, look at the deal that you got.

Anyway, the guy that I noted makes really awesome speakers. Find out which Radion diphragms that they take and let me know. I am going to THE Show again this year in early January. I can ask him any questions that you like as I believe that he will be there again. I'll see what he recommends. His speakers sounded great so I trust his opinion.

You may want to test the 2470 drivers with a small screwdriver (see if the magnet attracts it). If so, new diaphragms may be all that is needed.

If the other drivers are good, you have a MAJOR score. Congrats! [<:o)]

CB,

A major score indeed!

I have a pair of 2405's that came out of my jubals that I'm trying to incorporate into my Cornscalas as they sound fantastic. I think it would make sense to mount them outboard rather than try to squeeze them into the space where the Ct-125's fit. Don't know if this would help but check out this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Monitor-horn-Driver-2440-2441-Rear-BADGES-NICE_W0QQitemZ250541738514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3a55738a12

What do you plan to do with your haul?

Herb

With my tin ear, I'm not sure I could hear the difference. From what I have been reading on the web, a lot of folks like the Radian, the price of these things are all over the place, low of $85 ea. to $136 ea. From the reading, the JBL 2470 requires a Radian 1225 replacement diaphragm at 16 ohms.

Well the magnet is strong enough to ****** a screwdriver out of my hand.

The 2482 will go on a 225HZ wood horn DBB (12x24), the 2446 will go on a 260HZ wood horn Belle (.75x24), 2470 or maybe the 2440 may go on the wood horn in my Khorns,

I really wonder how some of the stuff will sound, intend to get crossovers for Khorns and Belles (ALK Universal)

I'll keep you tuned in to the progress.

CB

I have JBL 2446's and I am quite pleased with them.

When you measure the resistance (if you have a reliable meter), it needs to be within 10% of the specified value. These values are listed by JBL and are on the internet somewhere.

As far as aftermarket diaphragms .... not all are a good idea. For instance on the JBL 2446 and the newer 2450, there are some advances on the technology that will not be incorporated on the aftermarket substitutes.

Good Luck,

-Tom

With my tin ear, I'm not sure I could hear the difference. From what I have been reading on the web, a lot of folks like the Radian, the price of these things are all over the place, low of $85 ea. to $136 ea. From the reading, the JBL 2470 requires a Radian 1225 replacement diaphragm at 16 ohms.

I'll try to talk to the Audio Classic Reproduction gut at THE Show this year about those. For $200, if they sound exceptional that is a deal. The big thing will be the low frequency cutoff. They woudl be good for a Cornscala, Belle or LaScala if they cannot make it to 400 Hz.

I like the link to the badges. Kind of expensive but very nice.

Wow CB, great score! I'll be interested in your results with the JBL's crossing down to 400 hz. I don't think you will have a problem at all, especially if you use a "universal" type of crossover. I got mine from Gothover, and they sound fantastic. Hopefully I'll be able to hook up my new Selenium driven 210hz monsters this weekend for a trial listen.

Hey Bob,

Great score. As pointed out eariler, with a radian diaphragm will will lose the low end potential of the 2482 on the 225Fc horn. I don't know the specs on the radian, but The phenolic dia on that horn will crossover solidily down to 300 Hz. That just ain't gonna happen with the Radian. I would (and have) shell out the bucks for a JBL phenolic for the 2482's. For that driver it is worth it IMO. Good luck and keep us posted,

Jeremy

Hopefully I'll be in pretty good shape as all divers tested within the specified tolerance, except the 2470 and it will need new diaphragms.

Got to get the wood horns complete and the new crossovers, so it may be just a little bit before I can report back.

Thanks for all the help guys.

CB