Groomlakearea51

Cameron's latest effort, "Avatar" is really good. Finished work last night and we drove about 40 miles to Port St. Lucie to see it in a "Rave" theater (3D, giant screen and comfortable seats).

It was worth it. In the past, 3D effects seemed to be limited to the usual things "flying out" at the audience, and general "out of focus" for the remainder. This one, however, was different. Much different... No "cheesy" 3D here. Cameron used 3D properly to show a realistic perspective and extremely accurate "depth of field". 3D glasses were also better than the normal cardboad crap. looked like, felt like and fitted like real specs. I wear specs, and they fitted over my glasses without too much bother. Next time however, I'll be wearing contacts.

Effects and graphics were extremely realistic, and with his new CGI technology, you will really think the "blue tribe" are real. Very real. The devil with CGI has always been in the details.... Not this time. Regardless of where you look in the "field of view", details, depth of field, focus, etc. are there. The integration of "real" actors and CGI generated "sets" is seamless.

The plot is predictable, but not in a bad way. Cameron allows the audience to be in a "plot comfort zone", and pay more attention to the graphics, which I believe was his intention. The story can be told in 2D, but in this latest CGI 'd 3D, it makes all the difference in the world.

Some unhappy parts, certain folks get whacked, but it's in keeping with the story line. It's politically correct, properly villainizing big corporations who would rather wipe out indigeneous populations in search of profit, etc.

I rent few DVD's during the year for previously released movies, buy even fewer, and rarely ever go see a movie in the theater twice..... Avatar? It's one of the very few I can count in my lifetime that I will watch again. Next weekend, for sure. Nice dinner with my wife and son, and back to the Rave; this time wearing contacts, and to really watch the details.

Have fun, it's well worth it.

I have not yet seen the movie, but judging by what you have told me it was a really good movie. I was reading that 3d movies that are currently only avaliable at theaters such as Rave, will soon be avaliable in the home theater enviroment within the next year or two. I understand that the only type of media that can support this will be the blueray DVDs.

PS.

Since we are jumping into Star Trek themed avatars, I thought that I would contribute.

I saw it yesterday with my boys at our local IMAX in 3D. The movie looks and sounds great. The blending of CGI and live action is
extremely realistic. Unfortunately (IMO) the story line would be well-suited for a Saturday morning cartoon, and it is overtly political (big corporations are greedy and evil). None the less, I recommend sitting through this 165 minute long movie for the technical merits.

• 2 weeks later...

Cliche'd plot or not, I also through this movie was really good. I saw it just this past friday. For me to go se it 3D, I had to go all of a 1/4 mile (I can actually see the theater from my place!). I very rarely go to the movies much any more (the last one was for the new Star Trek), but this was one that I thought was well worth it to go see on a big screen. In addition, they made some really nice renovations in the theater, including using KLIPSCH for the audio!.

Yes, the plot has been done before. Yes, the big bad meany corporation going in and wiping out indigenous people/animals in the name of the all-mighty dollar, but the indigenous people won't take it. However, in this case, I thought it was actually very well told and the setting was just jaw-dropping beautiful to see, especially in 3D. As fantastical as it was, it just look so realistic. As though this place could actually exist.

I think this one will go down as a classic.

This is one that I may seriously go and see again myself. This may actually get me to use my PS/3 as a Blu-Ray player!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see it during the Christmas break with family and in-laws and we all really enjoyed it. The story may not be great literature, but the visuals, especially the excellent integration of the CGI and the live action, were really worth the price of admission. The 3D was effective but not overstated, as it should be.

Pandora is a really beautiful place to visit. Did anyone else find the movie had a bit of Lord Of The Rings feel to it? For me, the movie was as much fantasy as sci-fi, and I mean that in a good way.

This is one that you have to see in the theater. The plot is so done, but the effects and incredibly imaginative world and creatures pulls you in so you're not even thinking you've seen it all before.

side note: Tell me, why is Sigourney Weaver always portrayed like she's a goddess when she's not attractive?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is one that you have to see in the theater. The plot is so done, but the effects and incredibly imaginative world and creatures pulls you in so you're not even thinking you've seen it all before.

side note: Tell me, why is Sigourney Weaver always portrayed like she's a goddess when she's not attractive?

Thank you for the information.

• 5 weeks later...