What's been keeping me busy for quite a while (project pics)

superedge88

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's beautiful!!!! so what kind of driver are you going to use in it? What size ? How are you going to power it? i am sure exteranl amp how big and what kind? Sorry about all the questions but that really gets the imagination going. I tryed it once but the pro audio amp i used did not do well with HT gear the best i could figure it the signal strength is much higher in Pro Pa gear and is not as sensitive.

that's beautiful!!!! so what kind of driver are you going to use in it? What size ? How are you going to power it? i am sure exteranl amp how big and what kind? Sorry about all the questions but that really gets the imagination going. I tryed it once but the pro audio amp i used did not do well with HT gear the best i could figure it the signal strength is much higher in Pro Pa gear and is not as sensitive.

Horn subs are crazy efficient, and this being a very popular one to build I have gotten a lot of guidance on how much power is needed. I am using this Driver

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?vReviewRateForm=1&vReviewSource=E&orefer=reviewEmail&vReviewRand=690620222477&Partnumber=295-190

and this amplifier

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-811&source=googleps

This amplifier has some features I really liked, though I really wanted the O-audio 500 watt amplifier which is unfortunately on backorder through the middle of January. So I decided to go with the Dayton which has the same features, a little more money, and has been bench tested at being able to put out a clean 500 watts without even breaking a sweat.

This horn and woofer combo never really needs more than 100-200 watts of power, so I will have a nice amount of headroom.

and this amplifier

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-811&source=googleps

This amplifier has some features I really liked, though I really wanted the O-audio 500 watt amplifier which is unfortunately on backorder through the middle of January. So I decided to go with the Dayton which has the same features, a little more money, and has been bench tested at being able to put out a clean 500 watts without even breaking a sweat.

Took my advice, did ya? You're welcome. [:)]

It seems that a box that large could easily accept two 18 or 15 inch drivers in a ported configuration. The build looks extremely complex. How low will it go? I would think that for HT, you'd need more depth than SPL. Don't flame me, I'm just curious why you decided on that configuration. Was it expense?

The expense wasn't too bad, I paid about $700 for the total package including amplifier. It goes down into the mid teens typically, even lower depending on room gain. Made it because it is crazy efficient, massive amount of head room, and probably one of the best bang for your buck subwoofers you can build.

About 18 months ago, I was seriously considering buying Bill's downloadable plans for a whole range of subs and getting one made by a local cabinet maker. Then a DD-18 walked in front of me. Can't say I'm unsatisfied. Neverless, there is still an itch I'd like to scratch by having one of these horn loaded subs made up. Then again, Danley's DTS-10 kit looks pretty interesting.

Bill's site:

http://billfitzmaurice.com/index.html

Just fired it up last night, unfortunately things got pretty late wiring it up and fastening down the access panel. I didn't get ready to fire it up till 2 am. so I had to be gentle. First impressions even before being able to crank it- This thing just OOOOOOOOOZES BASS! I wasn't even cranking it and this Tuba was producing some of the sweetest bass so effortlessly it was amazing!

Well this thing officially POUNDS. I now have it all dialed in with my Dayton SA1000 amplifier. It simply laughed at War of the Worlds, the lightening scene and the machine emerging out of the ground scene............WOW!! Now I have my Klipsch SUB-12 in the bedroom 2.1 home theater, so I upgraded both of my home theaters with this move to the Tuba HT. Very happy!

A horn loaded sub thissize will pound a Sub-12 into the ground ,not much of a competition.For impact,efortless quality this is a great way to go. The driver moves very little to produce substantial SPL at the horn exit.

Good project. And complexity(construction) is all the more rewarding when it works great

Congrats on what looks like a job well done !

A horn loaded sub thissize will pound a Sub-12 into the ground ,not much of a competition.For impact,efortless quality this is a great way to go. The driver moves very little to produce substantial SPL at the horn exit.

Good project. And complexity(construction) is all the more rewarding when it works great

Congrats on what looks like a job well done !

Thank you very much! It is almost scarey what this subwoofer does with the power being given to it!

• 3 weeks later...

So I have had a while now to dial this sub in, and to really put it through all the motions... really a talented sub! Just when I thought I had it dialed in pretty good it started getting louder. So evidentally I had not broken in the woofer enough, and now that the woofer is broken in... I really can't believe the headroom. This sub produces high SPL so accurately and effortlessly it is awesome! Can't recommend this subwoofer build enough, very low cost for what you get in performance!