HD Theater 1000 kit - curious specifications.

laager

Was just poking around the products page and saw this kit. I'm not interested in getting one (already have Heritage HT) but noticed something odd with the specifications of the kit.

Frequency response of the kit is listed as 35Hz - 20kHz. OK, so far, so good.

Frequency response of the centre and satellites (they are all identical) is listed as 150Hz - 20kHz.

Frequency response of the sub is listed as 35Hz - 120Hz.

By my calculation that means there's either a complete hole between 120Hz and 150Hz or very a significant dip due to roll off at each end of the gap.

Either there's a mistake in the cut sheet or folks buying such a kit are getting 'BOSE'd' with a frequency hole. Has anyone listened to this kit? Can you confirm or deny such a response hole? What makes it more curious is that the claimed frequency responses of the smaller 300 and 500 series kits does not have a 'hole'.

I emailed Klipsch Support because I'm looking at purchasing the HD Theater 1000. This was their response:

That is not a miss print. I have set-up two HD Theater 500's and the auto calibrate system in the receivers has set the sats to 140 Hz and the sub at same and they both sounded great, no hole noticed. I know you are asking about the 1000 system, and even though the sub sets no higher than 120, in house testing has not shown a problem at all with any frequency gap.

The Quintet system has been in production since about 2000, back in that time receivers would only allow for 80 Hz to the sub and the Sats went down to 120.

Only on a rare occasion would a customer ask about that and almost all the time they never heard the hole. This is something that may be found with all satellite speakers from all the other manufactures.

Speakers will play a bit lower than the suggested low frequency spec. Set the sub up to the highest Low-Pass setting and the receiver at 140 to 150 if capable, you should be fine