How bout a Jubilee top?

That looks great,,,Thats what i have been screeming about for the last couple of years,,,Taming down the look of the WartHog Maw,, with a sane tophat,, Good work ssctrojan,,, Some one pass him the medal of good design..

That light was coming straight across the front so it really showed it. But it really isnt that noticeable or that bad. But then again i do see it when the light hits it. Probably gonna come off to day and gonna go ahead and put in frame.

Yes, pics can be deceiving. I bet it looks nice with a frame though. I still like the idea of cutting them in an arc (> like so. It's a nice design contrast to the straight edges of the bass bin.

What type of wood horns are you useing ??? The 402 conical didnt sound that great to me,,I thought I was the only one...

Pssst......Maron........your ignorance is showing again. Kind of like when you thought a K403 was a K402...even though you had claimed for so long to have heard one...! [;)]

Hey ssctrojan1980

I hope you appreciate the fact that their are people on this forum who claim to have done something that they haven't so a healthy attitude of "show me" is called for sometimes.

You've made a claim that you have listened to your Wood horn versus the K402 and came away prefering the Wood horn and thats OK if it's true and you are certainly entitled to your opinion but for me to understand how you reached your conclusion I will need more information.

So for us to understand how your opinion was formed could you give us the informational details of how this comparison was performed (ie: A/B test performed in the same room/location at the same time?, What Drivers were installed on the two horns?, Were they both matched to your Jub clone during the test?, What about detailed information on the crossover/balancing network for the two horns/driver under comparison?

What would also help alot in understanding how you reached your opinion would be if you could provide some performance measurements on your Wood horn. To be adequate we need both amplitude/frequency plots on axis, amplitude/frequency plots averaged over a listening window and detailed polar plots over the intended operating bandwidth of your horn.

Please understand.....I'm being very genuine in this request... because as I've said before in this section of the forum so many things are being offered as facts when in reality they are just opinions and unfortunatly I'm afraid many of these opinions have been formed with inadequate controls to make them even close to valid or repeatable.

mike tn

Mike.

Here how the test was formed. First of all, obviously, i put 1 402 in 1 corner and 1 of my different horns in the other. They were in the same room at the same time. I tried a few different drivers. I listened to some community m200s. i then listened to some jbl 2425. i have listened to jbl 2452. They were on a pair of my jub clones. As far as where i was crossing over the mid range, it changed for different drivers. The m200 can were crossed at not allowed to go below 400 and the bass cab was crossed at topped at 400. The jbl 2425 were stopped at 800 and my cabinets were brought up to 800. I even turned off tweeters and cab so i was just hearing horns. Its not that i didn't like 402. It is a nice horn. I had heard people say once you hear that you wont listen to anything else. So i had to see for myself. In "my opinion" here is what i think. I think my horn was about just a little louder. But that could be cause its half a 402. I can here vocal differences between the wood and the fiberglass. The 402 is very smooth. I think the wood is a little brighter in some instances. The 402 is a nice horn. But for the size it was gonna have to be better than mine and it isnt. On a scale of 1 to 10, if the 402 is a 9, then my wood horns would be a 9.1 or 9.2. My horns just didn't blow it out of the water. I am in process though of making a custom 402 out of wood. It will be a few weeks as i am doing other projects. As far as measurments on my horns... i will just show you a picture of 1

post-36140-13819526111828_thumb.gif

Hey ssctrojan1980

Thanks so much for responding to my post in this manner..!

At least describing the method in how you formed your opinions helps everyone to understand what it was based on.

So am I to conclude that few if any measurements were performed to assist in optimizing either horn/driver combinations?

Please understand IMHO, conclusions about either horn with any chance of certainty can't be learned by others (as well as yourself) from what you have done so far because of the large variables that haven't been addressed.

I have to ask are you searching for accurate reproduction and/or is your goal just production of a pleasent sound you will enjoy?

mike tn

Mikebse2a3,,,Is our local crumungin,,as usual he has his facts wrong,,,I had both the 402 and 403 to compare,,,The 403 I recieved from Mike Klemintovich,,(auther of Paul Klipsch Bio.),, The 403 was poorly constructed,,,Horn throat shape & flange was warped,,, That horn came from Valery Klipsch to be delivered with the Golden Jubilee,s to Klemintovich... Then sent to me for evaluation,, A friend of mine has access to a anechoic chamber in St Louis at CID where plots were performed,, Dont believe the lies from certin Crumungin troll who listen to his Jubes in a room lined with glass mirrors,,,,, Keep up the good work on Your wood horns they look great,, You dont have to prove your capabilitys to any one..