Danley DTS 10 Subwoofer Kit

WPS

We built one about a month ago. LOVE IT!!! It's a wonderful match with our old Khorns - horn loaded all the way down to 11Hz.

Keep in mind it will probably only be available as a kit until the end of this month (rumor has it). Cost is just under $1000. Assembled version will be just under 3k (rumor has it).

Best to check out the thread at AVS as the other person mentioned. As of today it contains 105 pages. And you will find that there are lots of people grabbing the opportunity and everyone so far is extremely pleased with its performance.

Rod

Rod thanks for the imfo. I plan on using one with Khorns. What are you powering it with?

I'm just using the inexpensive Behringer EP4000 (the rebadged EP2500) as are several others with the DTS10. I also got a Behringer DCX2496 to use as a crossover and for equalizing the Danley. What is a big help is to get REW to be able to run sweeps and see them on the computer. I found that the sub was out of phase with the Khorns and that in my room crossing over at 50 Hz worked best. Also my old 2 channel receiver doesn't have a crossover so the Khorns are running full range. I think that helps to smooth the frequency response - a little like multiple subs for all but the very low end.

Good luck with yours! BTW I am 'nwboater' on the other forum.

Rod

I'm the guy who started the thread over on AVS. Truthfully I believe the DTS-10 is a good match with Klipsch speakers. The higher sensitivity of the Klipsch mate well with something that takes very little power to get it going. I'm in a situation right now with my mains in that they can't keep up. I have some little Athena bookshelf speakers and they just won't make the cut when hitting the peaks in movies. I'd LOVE to get some Klipsch mains to go along with the DTS-10. I'm hoping that a little extra cash with find it's way in my pocket and then into a Klipsch dealers hands. Either that or maybe I can find some good deals on used Klipsch items that will fit the bill for my system. We'll see what happens with that.

Overall I'm very happy with the DTS-10. Since getting it in my new placement I'm now getting rid of an Elemental Designs 18" very large DIY ported subwoofer. Even that thing won't hang with the DTS-10. I'm going to give my eD subwoofer to a friend of mine who needs some more bottom end and has very little cash. I'd recommend the Danley to him but he doesn't have that much extra money to spend on a new sub.

• Like 1

Can't comment directly on a DTS-10 vs DTS-20 since I've not heard the 20, but this thing was designed to perform with nearly the same output as the TH-50 but with better extension. It all started with a subwoofer meet I had at my house in April http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1127851. We had subwoofers big and small, diy and commercial, and cheap to expensive. They were all special in their own way. The commercial subs at the $200 or so price point have really come along in the past few years. The Danley stuff played last and the TH-50 surprised us all. Very high SPL's and very VERY clean sounding also. It was such a hit that shortly after the meet Tom Danley contacted myself and another AVS member (and klipsch owner BTW) at the meet saying he wanted to design something more home theater friendly that would meet todays demands for motion picture soundtracks. After a couple "feeler" threads for size and such Tom got to designing this and after a few months of back and forth emailing it came to life. Now, getting back to the subwoofer meet and another reason it ties in with my post here is that I've had a chance to hear several subwoofers in my room and none compare to this new DTS-10. With other subs I've heard from higher end companies like Revel, Wilson, JL, Mcintosh, Paradigm, etc none of them compare either. I'm now a firm believer in horn technology for subwoofers.

Wow...It's been a long minute since I posted here at Klipsch.[:$]

I'm one of the first 2 guys to get the DTS10 kit, along with Brandon. It's a really good deal. Very few people other than DIYers have probably heard real extension and headroom down into the 10hz range. It's very capable. It should be close to 2 DTS10's but with more extension. I'm using it with Klipsch CF-4's and it's a very nice match. Plenty of headroom all around. A bigger pro amp on the CF4's and a second DTS10 and I think that'd be good enough.

Brandon,

Getting some used Klipsch mains is a good idea if you don't end up doing a kit or something. Some big effecient floor standers are in order. Come to the darkside...

Brandon,

Getting some used Klipsch mains is a good idea if you don't end up doing a kit or something. Some big effecient floor standers are in order. Come to the darkside...

Oh no, it's the 'Illuminated' side! Used Klipsch Heritage has to be some of the best values in audio. And what a match with our DTS=10s! Keep stuffing those coins in the jar Barandon.

Good to see you both here.

Rod

I'm always looking for good used equipment. A nice reference line would be good but usually out of my price range for the ones I like. The synergy line is ok, but doesn't have the sound that I like that comes from the reference line. A friend of mine in Nashville is selling his 5 channel setup that includes RF-7's and those are very nice. I wants badly. Just not a good time for me though.

Hello, this is my first post in this forum. I own the DTS 20 and recently built two DTS 10s. The DTS 10 goes lower than the DTS 20 which falls off at about 19 Hz in my room. One DTS 10 has much more power reaches much lower than a DTS 20. In my 7000 cu ft room the DTS 20 would sometimes bottom out when driven hard. The DTS 10 has plenty of power and I could have probably got by with one but two do give me a more even frequency response. I'm selling the DTS 20 and keeping the two DTS 10s.

Now that I have the subs covered I want to find speakers that can keep up although I need to wait a year or so to replenish the bank. That gives me time to learn. I 've listened to JTR 12LFs, Seaton's Catalysts and have considered Danley tops but they are all pricey. I'm intrigued by horns and I've been thinking about used La Scalas or Khorns. I remember hearing a pair of La Scalas over 20 years ago. The big dynamic sound I remember seems like it might work well for theater although I also like to listen to music. I don't have the budget or room for both a music system and home theater so I need one system that can do both.

Saw the thread on HT Shack . Impressive .

Not sure if you meant the DTS-10 is impressive, or the thread at HT Shack. If it's the latter, the thread on HT Shack is 8 pages. The one on AVS is 116! If you meant theDTS-10 - yes it's very impressive. So glad we decided to get one!

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

can it be ordered online? I sometimes have some voice problems - is one cabinet enough to have fun? - how high can it work without noticable coloration?

I don't think they have an online ordering system set up. Remember this kit MAY only be available till the end of the month. My suggestion would be to send an email to Danley and explain that you have voice problems and how would they suggest you proceed. I found them to be amazingly good to work with and I also believe them to be an extremely ethical company.

Is one cabinet enough to have fun. Well, it probably has more output than any other commercially available subwoofer for the home market. A lot depends on how loud you want it. In our somewhat small 1800 cubic foot room I'm a little worried about structural damage to the house when I really crank it up. So it sure is enough for us.

Unless you have a really large room, or want to listen at insane levels one should be enough for volume. Where multiple are helpful are in diminishing room mode problems. We found that when we integrated our single with our Khorns that it really helped to flatten the frequency response. That's because the Khorns go fairly low on their own.

We are running ours crossed over at 60, but with the Khorns going full range. The DTS-10 does have a peak in the 50s and some other stuff a little over 100. With equalization I believe most people are getting fairly good upper SQ. Perhaps Brandonnash can address this as I believe his mains don't go very low.

Rod

I have two DTS 10s but one would have been plenty. In fact if I had heard one before ordering the second I woudn't have ordered a second. There is no way I can use all this power as I'm already shaking the gutters and roof tiles. KdAgain isn't kidding about the potential for structural damage. Danley used four slightly less powerful subs to drive a five story Chicago IMAX. I ordered two because it was cheaper per sub to ship two and, like you, I wasn't sure one would be enough.

I use a Velodyne SMS-1 to EQ the DTS 10s and cross my subs over at 80 Hz. After EQing the sound is very clean and powerful. I like KdAgain's idea of running the mains full range. My mains don't go that low but if they did I may have been able to get an even better frequency response.

These subs are incredible compared to others I've heard (Submersives, JTR Captivators).