Advice - Which Blu-Ray player?

Saturn5

I've got a bonus program through work where we get points to redeem for merchandise. (yeah, basically Greenstamps).

Anyway, they some Blu-Ray players that I have enough points to get, but I'm not sure which one to go with. I have a limit of 1400 points. The players they have in that range are:

Sony BDP-N460

Sony BDP-S560

Sharp AQUOS BD-HP22U

Those are all between 1300-1400 points. They even have the Oppo BDP-83, unfortunately it's 3500 points and the program is ended on 1/31/10, so I have to spend what I have on something by then or lose them.

I just started doing some research on these models, but if anyone has any recommendations, let me know.

What a shame I can't save up more points for later. If I had 31,000 - I could get a John Deere Tractor. [:o]

Buying someone else's points is a good idea, but unfortunately it takes 2-6 weeks for the transfer to go through and I have a deadline of 1/31 to use or lose all of my points.

One of these can hold me over until I get the Oppo, then I can sell it to one of my friends who don't have BD yet. That or I'll just wait for the Oppo and use the points to buy some computer upgrades.

• Moderators

The 24hr video rentals and movies for sale thru the PS store are much better audio quality than Direct TV PPV.

I still haven't tried the video rental feature of the PS3. I'm curious myself how the HD stream compares to an actual bluray.

The players they have in that range are:

Sony BDP-N460

Sony BDP-S560

Sharp AQUOS BD-HP22U

I just got the S560 &, so far, like it. Mine's not much of an informed opinion, though. Its a huge step up from my former consoleTV & DVDP so I expected to be, & have been, "wowed". Its my first exprience with Blu-ray & I'm playing it through an Onkyo HTIB into a new Panasonic plasma. I'm just getting my HT together so I haven't had the time to even set it up properly. HDMI makes it almost plug-n-play though! Also, I've only played Blu-rays, no older DVDs yet.

HTH,

Frank W.

Out of the 3 you have to pick from the Sony BDP-S560 seems the best choice with the built in WiFi.

Although my PS3 is hard wired via ethernet cable.

I am currently watching Star Trek purchased thru the PS3 PS store. The only difference is the lack of special fetures found on store bought BDs. I seldom look at them anyway. The picture and audio quality appear the same. Saved a trip to the store, gas & time& costs less. I can watch over and over I don't have to dig thru the drawer of discs either. I need to figure out how to load all my discs on the PS3 since I upgraded my PS3 to a 250GB for both movies and audio.

Sony N460 by far. In fact, if you are in the states - Costco has them for $200 with HDMI cable in the box.

Not only does it have wired connection (very important when we start talking streaming HiDef movies), but it also has a ton of internet services in the player. I have a Sony Bravia LCD TV with the same features as this BD Player, and it is awesome!

So far I've been able to find out:

n460 is newer than the s560 and is priced between the s360 and s560.

n460 includes streaming internet video (Bravia internet content) - s560 doesn't

s560 has wireless LAN - n460 doesn't

Other than that, I haven't found any real differences between them.

By the way - costco has BDP-BX2 for $110 right now with backlit remote and HDMI cable in the box. The unit is network ready with ethernet port for BD-Live content.

I will probably be picking one up for my parents, sinc ethey are getting a new HDTV. In fact - i would get one for myself, but Sony BDP-N460 is in the mail from Amazon.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11480950