Cable matching with palladium P38F

apostolos

Any advice on speaker cable to be used with palladium p38 f and integrated amp e450 of accuphase.at the moment i am using a mogami cable (3404) but not satisfied.music sounding somewhat hard and causing tiring to the ears after some period of listening.anyway i think that all that magic of hi end gear is sometimes missing from my system.as source dp500 cdplayer of accuphase as well is used.power cables are used the ones provided by accuphase gear and no power filter used.any suggestions acceptable

I use Mogami interconects (quad mic wire) an have had great results. They make nice speaker wire too.

Your speakers should sound good with that cable. A cable change will probably not make very much difference and is mostly a shot in the dark anyway.

I don't know much about Acupase gear, but the Palladiums probably need a "soft" sounding front end. I have had great success using Musical Fidelity preamps and Classe power amps. Nice warm sound that is never fatigue-ing.

I would contact our own MaxG in Athens and get him to go to your place for a listen. He's very knowledgeable about Klipsch, and is a member of the local hi-fi society so there are plenty of good ears and good advice available to you right in Athens.

If you really think it is the cables, then I would seriously suggest just some regular 16 or 14 gauge speaker wire. IMO, anything else is just plain overpriced nonsense. If it's fatigue, it's probably do to volume or your just not liking horn loaded speakers.

I'd like to see some photo too. Palladiums are rare around here. Always like to see what they look like.

Thebes,

Mogami is very sensible wire. Check out their website. About $1 or so per foot in bulk and used in pro installations. Very high quality, heavy duty and not very expensive at all. Their really heavy speaker wire is about $2.25 per foot and you can drive a truck over it.

I like to buy from these guys in Salt Lake:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/browse_brand.cgi?brand=137

I spent a whole afternoon listening to classical DVDs on a P37 or P38 5.1 system driven by Aragon electronics at Klipsch HQ in Indy, and thought they were very accurate and non-fatiguing.

I wonder about a break-in thing: how many hours do you have on your speaks, electronics, interconnects and speaker wire? If some or all of these are still new, does it sound like things are still getting better?

What I have here for you is the ultimate speaker cable. Its TRUE. These cables will produce the most dramatic improvement in
your system, more than any single thing will, guaranteed!

I made these cables
by stringing together southern north pole magnetically petrified hardwood balls
of various sizes using tightly rolled up BLACK electrical tape. The entire
cable structure is completely suspended in Strawberry Banana Jello pudding
which also provides the shielding. I used common straight pins at both ends for
grounding. The cables are terminated using invisible gas filled (methane)
highly polished uranium rods. Maximum performance can be obtained from these
cables by suspending them precisely 0.003 meters from the ceiling or wall
surfaces (not the floor). For those of you not so inclined to take on a project
of this magnitude I can make these for you in any length up to 17” for
$1,000,000,000.00 each (US).
Additional lengths cost $1 per foot up to 5,280 feet.

Or perhaps you would prefer to do what Peter Walker of Quad
did when he realized they didn’t pack the speaker cables for the show. He went
to Home Depot and got some of that orange stuff. cheers

Artto, you stole my patent on those cables and you'll be hearing from my lawyer. You shouldnt joke about these cables, they ARE the real deal. The price you qouted doesnt justify the qaulity and comes in at a fraction of the cost of materials. [;)]

Sorry I'm in the camp that cables dont make a difference as long as they pass a signal.

OK, I'm the odd man. Cables can transform your system. I'm not an expert on Mogami cable but it looks like stranded coaxial? Anyway, I find most stranded cable a bit bright. I'd try some Audioquest Type4 for the speaker run and some Kimber PBJ or Timbre for interconnects. This stuff is not to expensive and should work for you if you are finding the system hard and strident.

Thanx, Russ

90% of the guys on THIS forum like lamp cord, I don't know why but I think they like the bite of horn systems and zip cord will certainly do that.

• Moderators

90% of the guys on THIS forum like lamp cord, I don't know why but I think they like the bite of horn systems and zip cord will certainly do that.

Cheap also comes to mind [:o] but PWK used lamp cord, BUT you also have to realize what was available 30 years ago.

thank you all in advance.i am new in the klipsch community and glad to find such correspondence.i got to find and i am using at the moment acrolink power cables for the source and amplifier as well as power filter magic blacknoise 1000.great difference in sound,more close to reality and more natural.such change differentiate the quality of power distribution?soon i am preparing some photos.

Are you using any acoustic treatment materials in your room? That's where I would spend my money first to solve the "tiring to the ears" problem.

Good one Seadog! That is exactly what I was thinking. If the room is not treated, you've got sound bouncing around and that can be fatiguing to your ears!

Dennie

Ya' know ... sometimes there can be simple cable incompatibilities that can make a particular wire sound tinkly and irritating in one system but OK in another. Therefore, it's not a bad idea IMO to try basic wire for a while to see how it deals with your issue.

HOWEVER, you should always let new wire break in until it stops improving (or changing). So don't form quick opinions in this area. I'd give it a minimum of 40 hrs.

AND, if you are switching back to wire that's well broken in, you STILL have to let it settle back in after moving it around! 5-10 hrs. probably would do it.

"Forgiving" wire IME has included Audioquest -- I haven't heard many other brands outside of Siltec (silver).

• 5 years later...