ProMedia 2.1 speaker problem buzzing/rattling sound

My ProMedia 2.1s speaker without the sub/volume controls is making a buzzing/rattling sound. I've had them since October 2007. This is the second time that I've had this happen to a set of ProMedia 2.1s. The first time this happened around a week after I started using them. Klipsch exchanged the defective set for a new one and I haven't been having any problems until now. I just sent a message to promedia@klipsch.com and we'll see what they say. Here's a copy in case your interested:

"Hello,

I purchased a ProMedia 2.1 system from Klipsch.com on October 7, 2007 Invoice # 8137553. The system was defective and Klipsch quickly sent me another. I believe the The RA # was 70223 on October 16, 2007 for that. But now, that system is having a similar issue that the other one had. The speaker without the sub/volume controls is making a buzzing/rattling when it produces sound. This system has never been abused physically or sonically beyond it's design. It is not operating the way it should. Is there anything that you can do to help fix this problem?

I appreciate your help. Thank you!"

Klipsch used to be a company whose products I really really enjoyed and trusted for quality. But, I have had to make claims on my Custom 3s twice and now my ProMedia 2.1s twice. I hope my RF-7s and RSW-15 don't start acting up on me too! I know that the Reference line is in a way different league from their computer speakers. But, I don't expect my speakers to start falling apart after 2 years either.

I'd like to hear anyone's opinions. Criticism is appreciated. Praise is also nice. I like [:D] too.

• 1 year later...

I know this post is old but google brought me here. I am on my second set of promedia 2.1's as well. The first set had what seemed to be a faulty volume knob that cause the audio to fade to the right channel when it was near zero. My second set (which I just unboxed last night) has some semi-random static coming out of the left channel of the amp (doesnt matter which speaker is plugged in) that is easily audible when the room is quiet and no audio is being played. This really disheartens me because these are great sounding speakers when the work properly. I have the 2 year replacement plan on them from best buy so I am debating on getting another set or going with the logitech Z623 (which is one ugly set of speakers). There are a ton of good reviews on these speakers out there so I'm hoping I just got 2 bad apples of the bunch.

QC on these has improved on the newest models.

I suggest getting another set. They are STILL the best 2.1 speakers for computers around.

Good Luck. (FWIW; I have my original set that I have had for almost 7 years. I really pushed these HARD and they are still working).

• 9 years later...

I’m sorry to hear about your problems @jdcountryboy91 and @DannyBoi808.  My experience with two sets of ProMedia 2.1s has been excellent.  After many years, the near field SQ while working at the computer is stunning.  If they died tomorrow, I would replace them immediately with more of the same.  After many years, they owe me nothing.

Does anyone know the warranty on these things?  This thread made me curious. I was unable to locate a warranty on the Klipsch site.  @Chief bonehead @Chad