The price of Propane

peshewah

Good gosh I just had my propane tank filled. For 325 gallons ir cost me $665. And there was a waiting list. Everyone wants propane. Darn this cold weather. The last time I got propane I gave $1.25 a gallon for it. I think that was late summer. I guess its supply and demand, heck I don't know. But atleast my speakers will be warm. Ha.

Here in Maine, it is about $260 per gallon delivered to a tank at least 100 gallon size, or "pigs" as we call them. I worked a deal with one of the suppliers for my condominium subdivision that I've been building for the last five years, and there are underground tanks and metered services to each unit, and the cost per gallon there is about $1 less, or $1.60 per gallon. Restaurants in the area spend less than $1 per gallon sometimes.

Oil is the primary fuel choice here for heating homes, and it costs about the same right now, maybe just a bit more per gallon, but there is a difference in the amount of btu's you get from each gallon. Propane is about 1/3 less btu's per gallon, so the cost appears to be a lot more for heating with propane than oil. But the equipment that burns propane is a lot more efficient, and it doesn't need the be cleaned every year like the oil burners do, so in the end, it's a wash.

I prefer propane because the equipment is quiet, small, efficient, and much cleaner. Almost all of it is sealed-combustion now too, which means the units do not burn indoor air, they don't unbalance the air pressures inside the home, and they don't backdraft pollutants into the home, which all results in better air quality inside the home.

That's your mini heating/fuel lesson for the day! [:)]

Greg

About 40-50 years ago my family would visit my grandmother who lived in the semi-country part of town. She heated with propane and the whole house smelled of it.

We heat with fuel oil and when it came time to change out our furnace we decided to go with the same fuel. Still wasn't a bad desicion around here because not too many people use it. HOWEVER....this year as had it's own blessings. A little over a year ago we had the remants of Hurricane Ike coem through our town and took out at least 90% of the electrical service for 150 mile radius. With it, it took out a bunch of trees and I'm sure the price of firewod fell because of its abundance. Along with that it took out two large trees of ours and since we really use our fireplace insert (not just for vanity or ambience like most people do) we totalled up about 9-10 cords or wood at a minimum.

We have a 250 gal. oil tank and it's still reading 3/4 full and it early January. It would normally read 1/8 to 1/16th of a tank by this time.

We also cook with propane in the house but we only pay about $80-$90 for a 100lb. tank and it lasts about 10-11 months.

http://thriftypropane.com/

quality propane at the best prices. I have natural gas but everyone I know that buys propane has switched to this company if they service your area. You need to try and get a tank large enough to get you from November to April if possible and make your purchase typically in September to get the lowest price that will be available.

Up here in the mountains, you really don't have a choice. My tank (400 Gal) was filled yesterday, price $2.79.9 per gal. I do have a nice big fireplace, to have a cord of wood delivered, about $225, I'm sorry, these folks don't know the difference between a cord, face cord or anything that equates to 128 cu ft of burnable wood, oh well.

CB

I sign a purchase agreement with the local propane compay so I'm paying about 1.40 / gallon for this year, regardless of the month. My 1,000 tank is down to 30% so, I'm about to get hit with big invoice. However, I'm heating a very large space. I run a Woodstock Soapstone wood stove 24/7 for 5 months of the year. It has lowered our propane usage by about $2k / year. Wow, I could buy some nice speakers with that, couldn't I?

Greg, looks like it took about $70 in electricity to heat the workshop to a constant 55^ this December. I'm pretty happy with that, it's 1500 ft2 with two big garage doors (R10). Nice and comfy with just a sweatshirt while working out there. Thanks for your help with the hydronic in-floor system.Gotta keep all that Klipsch inventory from getting damaged. The in-floor heat is very comfortable and there are no drafts or burnt air to contend with!

Meanwhile this 1950 stone ranch with no insulation in walls and steel frame windows, will run about $400 in natural gas and I'm keeping it at a somewhat chilly 67^.

Hello everyone,

Since the cancellation of my reality TV show, there was a need to raise prices on propane and propane accessories. I apologize for this, I don't make very much in residuals for the reruns of "King" so it was necessary.

Thank you very much,

Hank Hill

Arlen, Texas

Hello everyone,

Since the cancellation of my reality TV show, there was a need to raise prices on propane and propane accessories. I apologize for this, I don't make very much in residuals for the reruns of "King" so it was necessary.

Thank you very much,

Hank Hill

Arlen, Texas

"I've got propane in my urethra."

[from spoof of KotH on Family Guy, or was it Southpark?]

My sincere thanks to Pinkard & Bowden for this......

(cue Eric Clapton music)

When you're down on your luck, here comes that big truck - Propane

When you're freezin' your @ss and you're needin' some gas - Propane

It's so hot, it's so hot, it's so hoooooot - Propane

Tom

Tom, you ever thought about putting those words to music? Might make a good song.

Steve