Problem with new Panasonic Plasma Television

D-Rex

I see you have a Panaasonic 50", which model? I am having a very difficult time replacing my Toshiba Plasma. I felt like it was a 42" 720P and since Plasma's had dropped so much, it seemed to make sense to make a move now.

I returned the 46" Panasonic for excessive green color and it didn't seem to stay clear during action movies or, most importantly, during football games. Now, I am on the verge of pulling my hair out (what little is left) because the LED I purchased has an amazing picture most of the time but I can see distinct blurring during movement. I can't see it all of the time but it leaves a trail like there is a magic portal following the action. I don't know what it would be called, a halo effect, or just movement blur but I am certainly close to returning this TV as well! It's a shame too, the non action picture is fantastic and it has alot of picture controls to try and get the perfect picture. But, I can't put up with the blurring!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i love my 50" X1 which i paid $650 for.

after properly breaking it in and applying service menu tweaks, per directions from the AVSforums. I can honestly say that it looks better than the 52" samsung LCD 6xx series that my father in law paid $2,000 for.

have you ever seen the 120hz being active on an LCD? it looks like people are stuttering in the pictures - very unnatural.

i still firmly believe LCD/LED is not the best display option for sports and fast action movies, compared to a solid and properfly calibrated plasma.

if you can get your hands on a g10/15 or v10 panasonic. give that a try. i think you might actually like the panny brand of plasma.

I found an interesting article yesterday that pertains to this subject...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/news/2010/01/19/Panasonic-Uses-Pioneer-Kuro-Tech-to-Make-5M-1-HDTV-Line/p1

If I was in the market right now, I would probably hold off for one of these models. If they end up being even close to the Kuro's then they will have the best picture in the market.

D,

To answer your question, I have the S-series. Basically their entry level plasma at 1080p and 600hz. I was on a pretty tight budget when I got mine, but I had still done about 4 months worth of research (LCD, LED, and Plasma). I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I do know that my picture looks better than ANY on my friends TV's, including a $2800 ToC Samsung LCD that my friend just bought.

To your point about the picture being too dark at times, I'll agree with you. At first (after the break-in) I really had to sit down and tweak the settings. I don't run any of my video through my AVR, this gives me the ability to set different picture settings for the different things that I'm watching. For example, My TV/cable picture is substantially brighter than my movie picture because, like you, I watch tons of sports. However, I want my movies to be as true to color form as possible, so I use a calibration that I found online that gives me the best (most true) colors and the deepest blacks. I've NEVER had motion-blur, and I own an older LCD, so I definetly know what that looks like.

One thing that I think is very true about tv's, especially Plasma's, is that there HAS to be a break-in period. I waited 200hrs before touching ANY of my picture settings. It was hard, don't get me wrong. But, now I have what I consider to be a very solid picture.

Hope this helps some, please feel free to ask me anything else.

I have four Panasonic plasma televisions and all work very well

one 50", one 42" and two 37" ( yes the 37" are plasma )

maybe the issue with the 46" series ?

I would have suggested that as well, especially since the one I returned was the lowest quality series (U Series) Plasma Panasonic makes. However, I saw the same issue when I was watching the 50" S Series at Sears. I will look futher into the other Panasonic Plasmas. I just don't see me keeping this LED with the blurring I am seeing. That is very disappointing to me, because everything else about it is great, but action movies and sports are 70% of my viewing habits. With that said, I saw the blurring occurring in non-action sequences as well. Just makes me sick.

i love my 50" X1 which i paid $650 for.

have you ever seen the 120hz being active on an LCD? it looks like people are stuttering in the pictures - very unnatural.

i still firmly believe LCD/LED is not the best display option for sports and fast action movies, compared to a solid and properfly calibrated plasma.

if you can get your hands on a g10/15 or v10 panasonic. give that a try. i think you might actually like the panny brand of plasma.

I have stayed away from LCDs for this very reason! But the LED LCD seemed different in the stores although they never seem to have them connected to "live" television. From now on, I don't buy a TV unless I see it with a live feed, period!! (actually, double exclamation point but you get the picture. ;-)

I love my old Plasma with the only reason I was replacing it was I thought the 1080Ps would be even better. I am having a hard time finding one better though.

jrod,

The original Panny I bought was the display model so it easily had 200 hours on it. Even the 50" one I saw at Sears I would expect it to have over 200 hours on it. I just couldn't get the green out of the picture and Panasonic didn't give me many adjustment options to fix it.

You have come to the right place for knowledgable assistance! I first arrived several years ago, after I had bought a synergy center channel from Best Buy. After visiting here I promptly returned it and bought an RC-3 off EBAY for about the same amount of money. I have been dabbling here ever since!

Thanks, D

Whoa cmdridq, if I didn't know better, I would think you were trying to get rid of me forever! ;-) Talk about information overload!

I have never liked the picture on an LCD. That is why I initially bought a Plasma and never had any issues with it at all! But, I thought the LED LCDs were different than yesterday's LCDs, better. Well, I think I am right, they are different and I do think they are better but they are not good enough for my viewing habits! Luckily, my wife has begun to see what I was seeing all along. Even during an innocuous episode of House, my wife could see a halo of blur around Chase walking down the hall. She about came unglued as she said, "I understood when I could see it during a football game but this is unacceptable!" Ha ha, so my football games can look like chit but not our House!! LOL! Seriously, if every Samsung LED has this same halo of blur as frequently as we are seeing it then I don't understand why everyone of them hasn't been returned! I will admit, it displays one heck of a Blu-ray picture but I expect I will find a plasma that can do similar without the halo, blurring of my action movies and football games, and the foggy picture when you go 40-60 degrees off center. I want to be able to see my picture from anywhere in the room and simply put, the LED LCD doesn't do it for me.

So, I will be returning the LED and restricting my options to Plasmas. I know everyone here loves the Panasonics, I am going to take a close look at the G10 but there was a very slim Samsung plasma that caught my eye at Best Buy. Regardless, the cheap plasmas got me in the market but I am realizing not all plasmas are created equally. My quest continues, so expect to hear back from me soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo! My Samsung 50" 850 Plasma has just arrived!! I am just hours away from returning this LED-LCD TV I bought last month! No more pixelated movements, faded side views, or halos of blur!! For my eyes, give me a Plasma over any LCD anyday! Now, bring on Lost, Survivor, House, Private Practice, etc.! ;-)

I am so unbelievable giddy right now!! :)))

D

Also, do you have your Marantz yet? If so, how are you liking it??

No, it was just shipped on Wednesday, I don't know if I will get it before the Superbowl but I am even more excited to give it a whirl! I haven't bought a replacement Receiver in over 4 years! I really like the Denon, I am really just replacing it for the HDMI capability. If the Marantz sounds even better than the Denon then that probably means my days on this Earth are drawing to a close! LOL ;-)

I will hunt down the Marantz thread and give my opinion of it a few days after I receive it.

Oh Arky, what happened?!? I mean it is obvious it fell and that you apparently installed the mounting bracket. Did you not find a stud and think that would be good enough? How heavy was the plasma? The mounting bracket looks like it should have held, so I am assuming you didn't use a bracket not made for such a heavy plasma.

I have my 42" Toshiba I plan to mount on the wall but it is at least 80lbs or more. I would cry if it went that way!

So, were you in the room when it fell or asleep or what? Come home from the store and then see the carnage?

Dang, that hurts just looking at it!

The mounting bracket came from Assia mounts. They make heavy duty quality mounts. It was rated at 250 lbs I believe. Tv weighed about 80 lbs. I wanted it centered over the fireplace mantle for aesthetics. Problem was the studs weren't centered so a builder friend who was helping me bought some sheetrock sleeve thingies & it was tight when we mounted it. I guess after a couple days my subwoofer must have shaken it loose cause one night I hear a bang & go investigate to find the mess. I felt more stupid than anything. Oh well, life goes on.

I am sure everyone here already knows this but buying before the Superbowl is the BEST time to buy a TV! I paid $1299 for the Samsung 850 Plasma and 4 days later they have it priced at $1899! I am so pleased I traded in the LED when I did!! I would be heart broken if I had waited until after the Superbowl! And, yes, I am so much happier with my Plasma than I was with the LED-LCD it isn't even funny!! Thanks for everyone's input here!

D

Try going to tweak my tv entering your model # and trying there calibration settings to see if it makes it any better...I have a v10 it was pretty nice out of the box but after break in i went to tweak my tv and it was nite and day for me.

Thanks for the site. I checked it out but wouldn't you know, they don't have tweak recmmendations for my model. I really have the 46" but all I saw listed was the 50". So I check it out and there were no tweak recommendations for it either. It was a nice try though!

Try www.avsforum.com