Anyone here get a Emotiva UMC-1?

carbon summit

Dear Fishy,

"Considering the source?" Nice fish boy...... I know you are, but what am I? I know you are, but what am I?

If you knew how to read, I stated "not rebadged" but they are VERY similar in design. You're right, Emo makes good amps....but not great. If someone wants to spend $2,000 more for a VERY similar product/amp, god bless - it's a free country. But I do think it's fair, for someone to know all the facts before spending a ton of $$$$$.

Fishy, when you grow up and can have an adult discussion about audio, let me know. Until then, go ride your little motor bike and listen to your Wal-Mart HT system. I will give you some credit, atleast you have Klipsch speakers.....

Too funny,I was just thinkin' you must be a kid,but I don't want to insult any kids,we have a few pretty good ones here.You've made my case better than I ever could..................."Fishy,Fishboy",wow you are witty,did ya think that up by yourself?By the way,I'm listening to some Frampton Comes Alive on sacd though the UMC,man it sounds sweeeet...........

Let's keep this conversation about the UMC-1 and refrain from calling each others audio setups a "Wal-Mart HT system." It is an unnecessary insult. Just agree to disagree. People have different views about the same equipment... but there is no need to be rude about it. This thread is about the UMC-1.... let's keep it about the UMC-1 and cut the nonsense....

Daniel

JW = Just another Klipsch lover like yourself.....

Fair enough...

I only spent roughly 1 hour with my UMC after getting everything hooked up yesterday. I've also had the LMC and MMC as well. First impression is that the UMC is light years ahead of the previous processors! For $699, there are layers of options. More versatile than any of the higher end receivers I've seen. Sound quality was very smooth right out of the box. By no means am I a emo fanboy. I'll tell whether it's good or not. I think this is a real winner and I'll give more opinions of it in a few days.

Hey Bob,most of us here are Klipsch lovers,that's why I thought it very rude to jump a member for(junking up the forum) asking a question.Glad you like the UMC,I'm no fanboy for any gear,but if it's good it's good.I've had plenty post here over the years,doggin' some gear and praising others.You also get 40% off next time around,pretty hard to beat.Let us know how it works out.

Fish, are you saying that if I buy something else from Emo I get 40% off?

Emotiva has a processor upgrade program.

Below is from Emotiva's website:

"processor upgrade program

1. How does processor upgrade program work?

Any original owner of an Emotiva processor can purchase a next

generation processor at 40% off the standard, listed price (sale

pricing, special promotional pricing or special offers do not apply

unless specified by Emotiva.). This is applicable for one purchase in a

generation, per customer. It cannot be used for a second processor

purchase within the same generation, and does not go towards an

'upgrade' to a higher level processor within any generation. It does

not apply to stereo preamplifiers or amplifiers, only home theater

processors. This is is not a 'trade in' policy. You keep your original

processor.

An

example...You are the proud owner of an LMC-1, and you wish to upgrade

to the new UMC-1. As the original owner, you are eligible for 40% off

of the standard listed price. If you wish to wait for the XMC-1, or

another model in this generation, or a following generation, this is

your option, as there is no time limit on the offer. You will not be

asked to return your original (or previous generation) processor. It is

yours to keep or sell, without restriction."

What does "...and does not go towards an upgrade to a higher level processor within any generation" mean?? Does that mean something dramatic (ie, a new dolby or DTS code needs to be invented)? I was wondering because I was considering the UMC1, figuring that maybe if I wanted to upgrade to their subsequent offering (XMC-1) that had more musical/stereo enhancements that I could always by the XMC1 at 40%, and not be out the cost of 2 full processors. I'm glad you posted, as I'll need to confirm that with them before deciding. I'll check their site, but I would have assumed upgrading was the point of the program - looks like it's more for major changes (ie, prologic to dolby digital, DD to True HD, 5.1 to 7.1, etc.). Must depend on what they define "generation" as.

• Like 1

What does "...and does not go towards an upgrade to a higher level processor within any generation" mean?? Does that mean something dramatic (ie, a new dolby or DTS code needs to be invented)? I was wondering because I was considering the UMC1, figuring that maybe if I wanted to upgrade to their subsequent offering (XMC-1) that had more musical/stereo enhancements that I could always by the XMC1 at 40%, and not be out the cost of 2 full processors. I'm glad you posted, as I'll need to confirm that with them before deciding. I'll check their site, but I would have assumed upgrading was the point of the program - looks like it's more for major changes (ie, prologic to dolby digital, DD to True HD, 5.1 to 7.1, etc.). Must depend on what they define "generation" as.

The umc is the current generation of prepro,the lmc and so on was the last gen,When Emotiva releases a new line or next generation of prepro you get the 40% off any of that lineup.I had a lmc $499,I just got the umc for $419 and keep my lmc.I can sell my lmc for a few hundred bucks if I want and you see the savings are enormous.

I know of no others that have this plan,it is the ultimate in customer appreciation.

Thanks Fish. I understand the concept, but since you purchased the UMC-1, would you be eligible for the 40% discount on the XMC1 (when it comes out)? That's the model upgrade that has a few upgrades from the current, but is it in the same generation? Thanks

I think the best way to have that question answered would be to ask Emotiva directly. I haven't any idea what Emotiva considers a "generation" and if the UMC-1 to XMC-1 is considered by Emotiva to be a generation upgrade or not. But it is definitely a very nice way of Emotiva to show appreciation to their customers.

Thanks Fish. I understand the concept, but since you purchased the UMC-1, would you be eligible for the 40% discount on the XMC1 (when it comes out)? That's the model upgrade that has a few upgrades from the current, but is it in the same generation? Thanks

The xmc is the same generation,just a "nicer"model.So I can pick only one upgrade,my choice of models,the umc or xmc or any model soon to come out.Any model in or soon to be in production is this generation.When a 3rd generation comes out we'll all know.It would have whatever is the latest greatest newest set of features and capabilities,likely 2 or 3 years.

He may have meant 60% of original price.On another note......I know I've sure been enjoying the umc,I've not listened to my system this much since I bought my speakers in 02.There are a few bugs,only one effects me,the video resolution setting sometimes goes back to 480i after turn off.There is a firmware update to come soon and it's not been a big deal anyway.I'd like to get it updated so I can give a review of it's capabilties and performance.I loved the sound right off the bat,and still do.

You're right on about the sound quality Fish! After just several hours of listening, it does sound real sweet. And dare I say smooth. This is the first time I've been able to bit stream DVD-A or SACD from my Oppo and how great it is. My analog 7.1 inputs also sound very, very good. I think the UMC is also first rate on the analog side of things as well. I can certainly attest to this since I've been using my Oppo directly into my amp for several months now. It doesn't get anymore 'analog' than that. I've ran into several bugs that are not of any real issue seing that a firmware update is coming next week already. That is first rate customer service as well. The only bug that really bothers me is that the EMO-Q is quite a ways off in determining the speaker calibration. I have set everything up manually, but it would be nice if the EQ option would respond correctly. Especially the sub portion of the EQ. As it stands now, the sub EQ portion is non-responsive until the firmware upgrade next week. When the sub EQ works correctly, it will be impossible to find this much at the $699 price.

Listening so far:

Eric Clapton. 461 Ocean Blvd. SACD: mmmm smooth!

Norah Jones. 2007 Austin City Limits DVD in DTS: The range of her voice can put everything through its paces. Great performance.

Yes. The Yes Album CD remaster: I played this through both the analog inputs and bitstream. Clarity out the wazoo.

Moe. Live at the Fillmore DVD in DTS. Sorry, currently listening to this as I type.... very nice indeed.... [D][H]

Hey Bob,glad to hear you like the analog section.I can't comment on emq cause I haven't tried it.Of all the units I've had I've never used the auto set up,long.I've set em' all up manual,I did try it on an hk,and an Onkyo but ended up just going back to manual.This would be a great feature especially for those that use it,I will give it a try when corrected.Enjoy the MOE.