Best Bang For Buck Receiver 2/5.1

Ironsave

So, Here is my question......

I am wondering what the best receiver for (relatively cheap) the money is.

I get this is subjective. I think my receiver is decent, but am wondering what the best all in one receiver is for under $300. (See siggy).....

I want something that can do 2 channel and 5.1 nicely.... I want something that is better than my current Kenwood. I am probably asking for a lot, but I respect all of your opinions.

This could be a used model, as I realize there are huge savings over new......

Opinions?

Well.....

I do have a 52" 1080p sharp tv, and also have my pc hooked up as a media center. hdmi not necessary; but would be nice.....

My goal here is a receiver that maximizes the sound quality. Something that is definitely better than what I have; and will not cost me an arm and a leg. I get that tubes can outperform ss very often, but I need something that does great 2 channel AND good 5.1 as well....

Side note..... I have 80 gigs of music and slowly have been re converting to at least 320kbs mp3s; as anything less loses a lot of depth and clarity.... I knew about lower mp3 quality = less sound quality, but this really became apparant after I got my Heresies.... :)

It

I install HT systems, and have had experience with several.

Onkyo, known for years to have good products, have recently been troubled by poor QC.

Can't go wrong with Denon.

I just installed a new Yamaha RX-V365, running 4 Heresy's, VC-25 center channel, SW-350, and it rocks the house.

Also check out the Pioneer line, including VSX-819H-K and VSX-519V-K.

• Like 1

Craigs list,at least in my area, Mpls, is loaded with people selling there 5.1 receivers ,sometimes for dirt cheap. People upgrade to 7.1's or whatever and they want to get rid of there older stuff. Bare in mind if you have an older 2 channel kenwood it's going to be hard match that sound quality, but you never know. Check out Craigs List.

My Kenwood is a VR407; does DTS and Dolby; currently running a 5.1 setup and 2 channel for music. (100w/channel x5)

My sub connection (on the amp) is not functioning..... Hey; it was free..... :)

I am looking for input for its replacement; but I am going to see if the sub connector needs resoldering.....

Always checking CL; thanks!

Well, I was able to pony up $140 for a used Onkyo Receiver on CL.

It is an Onkyo TX SR702. 7.1; Dolby; 100wX7, Dolby, DTS, etc etc.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR702&class=Receiver&p=i

This thing is a tank!

My surround is seamless now. It allows me to set so many parameters my Kenwood did not.

(Xover frequency to sub is a good example).

The 2 channel stereo trumps my other receiver as well.....

This thing is in mint condition; sold for $750-$900 in 05-06 when was new.......

I wanted to thank everyone for their input......... :)