I just revamped my HT from an HTIB to invidvidual components which includes:

Pioneer Elite vsx-01txh

LG BD390

Emotiva XPA-3

Klipsch wf-35's

Klipsch rc-52

RPW-10

RS-42

I have a chance to buy a nice set of Epic cf-3 for less than $500.00 total. I thought I could use them as fronts instead of the wf-35's or just buy them an use them as part of a music only system.

Please advise. Are the Epics good? What about for HT?

Thanks! Mac

I would not buy the CF 3's to replace what you have. $400 would be my limit on a pair. I really like my CF 4's, but the only downside in my situation is the amount of space they take up. As a side note, I enjoy them for both music and HT, and they can produce nice bass if the recording has been produced correctly.

NP - JP - Nostradamus

Silver,

The Epics are very high output and can produce ground shaking, teeth rattling bass if paired up with a high output amplifier...Although ...the Epics are voiced entirely different than any other klipsch speaker..They are creatures in their own world. They would not timbre match your exsisting setup

I would +1 what Alex has said Dont buy them to fit into your existing gear.

I have a a pair of Epic CF3's, and they are a fantastic speaker. They use pro grade drivers with neo magnets, They are 100DB eff. and yet you can pump 250 watts continou s with 1000 watt peaks. They are pretty big at 41" by 17" by 17" which gives them a fairly large internal volume and produce tremendous bass and are also incredibly smooth. These are never bright. I am listening to the Blu-ray of Yes live at montreux right now and they as usual blow me away with concert level slam, and do so with ease. These will blow away the wf-35 and a great many others as well. Get yourself a kv-4 or a klf c-7 as I do for a center, and you will have a system that will leave nothing to be desired. Definate upgrade

I would love to hear another pair of Epic's. I remember 10-15 years ago (?) hearing a pair that absolutely rocked. That was before I ever really knew anything about Klipsch. I always thought they were KLF-30's but my buddy that was with me at the time still tells me they were Epic's.

I remember how awesome they sounded with Metallica cranking. [Y]

Some other great qualities of the Epics are the way they image. When I put a friend in the sweet spot while playing music and tell them the voice is coming from the big speakers only, they don't believe me and have to get up and see for themselves that the center channel is not on. Also, the horn section is big at 9" x 13". It puts out a very large sound that is never piercing but effortless and bold. You could put these in a movie theater, behind the screen and I bet they would do the job. When you hear Stan Getz's sax on these, you will smile, and the power of a drum strike on the Epics is slamming. LIstening to the Cream reunion concert with Ginger Baker on his drum kit will fill your room. I have heard alot of speakers in my life. Just recently, I listened to my music for about an half hour on a pair of Vandersteen Quatros, which were $7000 dollar speakers. They were definately nice, but they couldn't touch the fullness and power and slam of the Epics. Not even close.

they are top notch audiophile quality speakers no doubt..But not a good idea for silver to intergrade them into his exsisting system. He would have to revamp his entire system for surround sound. Ive had the CF 1s and 2s...Loved them..compared to alot of my speakers and they are smooth and have solid bass with lots of power

Silver if you can pick them up that cheap they would make an awesome two channel system...go for it

• 2 weeks later...

They don't have a lot of pull here on the forum, and having never heard a pair of LaScalas or KHorns, I can only compare them to lesser Klipsch speakers.

Of course I'll never own a $5000 amp and a $3000 CD player so the playing field is uneven. But with my $200 Phase Linear 400 (200 watt) amp and my old vintage Pioneer Preamp I absolutly LOVE my CF3s. They're positively sick and I will never part with them.

I also have a pair of Fortes and my brother has Chorus and Forte IIs. I have also heard Hereseys and many of the smaller speakers in the Klipsch line so that's all I can compare them with. Perhaps I have bad ears but I'm crazy about mine. And, I only paid $220 for them. hahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you ever get a chance to hear them, take along some Tragically Hip and listen to "Waiting for a place to happen". Turn it up and stand back.