Another Thread about the Anti-Cables

Ocnorb

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I read all (well most of them) posts about this subject and thought I would post MY findings with MY equipment and MY ears.

Congrats Ocnorb. You've read some of the very many controversial threads on cables and you still decided to post your findings here... brave soul. As you say "I would post MY findings with MY equipment and MY ears." No argument there. Who can dispute what you've heard or experienced in your own room? My findings, albeit with different cables, were very similar and led me to yet another discovery in this mysterious hobby. Cables, in my experience, can sound very different from one another and are a very important link in the signal chain. But like everything, "Your mileage may vary". Thanks for taking the time and courage [;)] to post your findings.

thebes, that looks like coat hangers in disguise.

Don't need none of those fancy spades, they might interfere with the whatits from getting to the whoseits.so, simply cut off some of the skin and give them a bend and they are ready to install!

post-13167-13819538451874_thumb.jpg

post-13167-13819553741594_thumb.jpg

post-13167-1381956664669_thumb.jpg

Who can dispute what you've heard or experienced in your own room?

Why I can, of course.

An illusion, is an illusion, unless it's an illusion.

Indeed, if the Forum rules didn't disallow it, my feelings on this subject are so strong I would have to launch a raging personal attack, alluding to your suspect parentage, halitosis, excess body hair, abject moral degradation and obvious lack of book learning.

It is my understanding that the typical Klipsch crossover round copper dohickey thingy has about 127.3 miles of copper wound around it. So how, or why, or could, a few extra feet of "magic carpet cables" possibly affect anything but our natural predilection towards self-delusion.

Now granted this discussion revolves around speaker cables only. Interconnects are a different animal altogether. Those guys need to smidge of extra insulation to prevent against inadvertent ground loops, hums etc. and I have been know to spend up to $10 for a set of those. Now if I lived next door to the high tension tower coming from, say, a nuclear power plant, I might be willing to go as high as $20 , but no more.

Look, let is be known that I bear no animus towards the original poster. I mean some people have been know to root for the Chicago clubs and delude themselves into believing said Cubs are an actual baseball team. When said people are in my house, I feel it to be incumbent upon myself to turn on a Yankees game and correct this glaring error in their ways,.

In this case, my mission is also equally obvious.

Thanks to all for the dialogue on this and to Groomlakearea51 for the link to the roger russels info.

It has been informative and entertaining (thankyou thebes) at the very least.

I am, however, going to stick with my findings of the new wires sounding noticeably better

but

after having mulled things over for a while I will surmise that it is probabley due to oxidation between the wire and wire ends on the old cables and my not so good job of trying to crimp wire ends onto the new wire as opposed to the anti-cables which have ends high pressure crimped onto the wire, are free from oxidation and that changing the cables back and forth and "really" making sure the anti-cables were tightend to the binding post has removed some oxidation from the binding posts as well and the cleaner tighter connections are most likely responsible for the improvemant in sound I experienced.

It does make sense to me, as I do know that a good cleaning with deoxit in the pots and switches of my vintage equipment has dramatically impoved the sound quality as well

Again.... thanks to all

Jim

What! That's it!

A reasonable, balanced civil reply.

A mea culpa and a promise to do better?

What's this joint coming to.

Pah, if you think I'm just going to slink off until the next cable thread comes along, you've got another thing coming,

Boy, gotta admit though, that Jim's a real nice guy, the rat beautard.

"It is my understanding that the typical Klipsch crossover round copper dohickey thingy has about 127.3 miles of copper wound around it. So how, or why, or could, a few extra feet of "magic carpet cables" possibly affect anything but our natural predilection towards self-delusion. "

The interesting thing about your question is that whilst it is often posed I rarely see it answered in any way other than - it can't.

This may, or may not, be the case - but how about a quick search for possible reasons - you know - real ones that are based on such accepted principles as impedance, capacitance, noise, oxidation etc.

FWIW (which isn't much):

External cables

1. Are often not nearly as well shielded as you would think.
  2. Often lie in close proximity with other similar or dissimilar cables (power, speaker, patch, antenna).
  3. Can be subjected to physical stress (not quite long enough - chewed by the dog, kicked and trodden on...)
  4. Can be exposed to (sometimes) enormous static problems from carpeted floors.
  5. Have physical connectors at both ends which can oxidise or simply not fit all that snugly.
  6. Can be subject to quite dramatic temperature variation along their length (I do not know what effect this might have - just something I have observed).
  7. Do have pysical limits on the distance they can carry a signal at all. Ergo - reduction of signal strength as a function of length.

There are probably more reasons than the above - off the top of my head list. I do not think that there is anything there that is magic based and I have experienced many of the above first hand.

MY most recent experience was item 2 above. I suddenly and without warning started to get serious noise from my TT - a hum beyond that of the tubes in the pre-amp. It took a serious investigation to find out what the cause was, which, as it turned out, was coming from the amplified TV antenna signal cables that were actually encased in the wall. We had been using them without amplification and installed the amp only to boost signal strength and improve the picture.

As it happens the solution was fairly straightforward - I simply moved the cable so that its orientation relative to the antenna cable was at right angles rather than parallel.

Point of all this? Cables do impact the sound for all sorts of basic fundamental reasons - but this has nothing to do with needing exotic, big $, cables in place of well put together reasonable cost ones.

And this from a man that spent $2,000 on a pair of Synergistic Silver speaker cables which now reside in a drawer in my desk - but that was a long time ago - when $2000 was still considered a lot to spend on cables. [:S]

I woud much rather come upon something that sounds better and then puzzle through the reasons why it does than something that says it is supposed to sound better and then puzzle through the reasons why it does not.

JMHO

Jim

Well, sometimes the "they did sound way better" is an illusion...sort of like a placebo effect...you know how the mind play trick on you.

Well, regardless of the reasons. they did sound way better and that is all that matters to me.

cheers

Jim