New Chorus ll's

nashvilletitans

I am a happy camper tonight. I traveled 200 miles today and bought a pair of 1992 Chorus lls. Walnut Oiled and in near perfect condition. I must admit this is my first experience with Klipsch in the home audio setting and I am very impressed to say the least. I have had several good Polk and Advent speakers from the 80s and 90s but wanted to see what all the talk was about Klipsch being paired with tubes. The Chrous lls are extremely clear on the highs and mids and the bass is incredible. I did not expect the bass to be so loud or punchy after reading many reviews of these models.Not muddy or swimming in the least and I only have them about 8" from the wall and nowhere near the corners of the room. The room is carpeted and I have drapes on the windows beacause this is also my Theater room in which I use a projector.This is one of the first speakers where ,even with a lot of bass response it is really easy to pick out the bass from the kick drum. I still need to play with placement some but corner placement isnt really and option in this room. The room is 23'x20' with the speakers on the 23' wall and my listening position is about 15' from the speakers. The speakers are about 10' apart.

I decided to try them out first with some vintage Rock just to see if they could hold up to the demands and WOW! 1st up-John Mellencamp The Walls Came Tumbling Down and Little Pink Houses, next up some cuts from Queen Jazz and on to some softer rock with Jackson Browne and James Taylor. Then on to some Acoustic Jazz selections and finally on to some Bluegrass. As you can see i played several different styles and several different volume levels and they seemed comfortable with everthing I tried. Very vesatile speakers.

I am using a Dynaco Pas2 preamp,a slightly modded Dyna ST-70 amp and a Pioneer PL-41 T-T with a Stanton Headshell and a Grado Green cart.

Like I said the chorus ll's are in near perfect condition and they look stunning. They looked a tad dry so I generously applied some good lemon oil and they now glow and look very rich and dark. I am IN LOVE....hahahaha.Thanks to all here for all the generous information I aquired from the posts and to the folks over in Hope AR for building such a quality product.

NASH

You will revisit all your music as I did because you just hear so much more. I couldn't even make it through full songs I was in such a rush to hear something else that popped into my head. My wife was thrilled............................................... I told her I have ADD. (I probably do but she wasn't buying it).

I have been matching amp's to my Forte II's and Cornwalls ever since. I share your enthusiasm. Only wish I had done it earlier. Congrats.

Haha Thats funny! I am doing the same thing,wanting to listen to all my old favorites. I notice I am listening to alot of other styles of music today as well.I cant seem to get enough of Norah Jones,Diana Krall,M Buble,etc. Piano and double bass is unreal on these things. I was listening to a song I had heard many times before but I am hearing the brushes on the snare drum so clearly now.Its so pronounced in the sound with the chorus' but was bearly noticable before. Thats just one instance and the list goes on and on. Tubes and Horns baby.... I am Hooked!

Nash

I was bouncing between Supertramp Crime of the Century and Bennett. If you like Krall, Buble, and Jones try taking some Sinatra, Fly me to the Moon or, Bennett, I wanna be around, out for a stroll.Those speakers love that stuff.

Way to go on the Chorus II. I have been dialing in a pair of industrial Chorus and I am having the same experience as you. All of my tired CD collection is suddenly interesting to me again! I have also added a few albums, including a Norah Jones - exquisite!

I have had my Klipsch set up in my new living room for about 2 months
now, passively biamped for about a month. Music has never sounded
better! The listening space is about the best I have ever had. My
amplification is also better than ever. Tonight, when I got home from
work, my wife was playing Fleetwood Mac: Greatest Hits. I sat down in
front of the stereo to eat some Taco Soup (yum!) and Sara came on. Oh
my goodness!

Now I have listened to this recording probably 50 times on many
different stereos. My best system to date had been my JBL 4410 powered
by an Alesis RA-100. I have heard a great deal of detail on this setup
before and have been very pleased with them. However, tonight, I heard
the multitrack layering on the harmonies to Sara like I have never
heard them before! I can hear Stevie, Lindsey and Christie
individually. The sound just gets so big, hits a crecendo, and then
collapses back to the simple rhythm and tune. It happens as Stevie is
singing about drowning in the sea of love.

I made my wife sit down and listen. She said that it is just like the
ocean's tide, the way the sound builds, then ebbs, and she is exactly
right. I have never heard the space and depth in this particular
recording before. My copy is on a CD, so now I am on the hunt for a
great copy of Tusk on vinyl. I also can't wait to get an active
crossover in the system and hear how that sounds.

My best system to date had been my JBL 4410 powered
by an Alesis RA-100.

That should be a good match up. The RA-100 is a real sleeper of an amp and you can find them cheap on ebay. I have two of them, one serving as the amp on my office system, and powering a pair of 4311s. I just put them back in place and removed some Alesis Monitor Ones.

But the Chorus IIs.... will really rock your world. Are you powering them with the RA-100?

Bruce

That should be a good match up. The RA-100 is a real sleeper of an amp and you can find them cheap on ebay. I have two of them, one serving as the amp on my office system, and powering a pair of 4311s. I just put them back in place and removed some Alesis Monitor Ones.

But the Chorus IIs.... will really rock your world. Are you powering them with the RA-100?

Bruce

You are right about the RA-100 Bruce. It is a very respectable, incredibly inexpensive, clean reference amplifier. I keep an eye out for them on CL, eBay, pawn shops, etc.

Not to threadjack, but I have a pair of Klipsch KP301-B-Br, the industrial version of the Chorus. I have them passively biamped with a Rotel RA-870BX integrated driving the horn stack and a QSC CX1202V driving the woofers. The plan is to purchase a good electronic crossover at some point this summer. Then, I will truly be biamplifying these babies. I will probably replace the Rotel (maybe with the RA-100) at some point. The Rotel really sounds good with the JBLs.

Nice! I am similarly happy today. About 14 years ago I sold my Klipsch Forte II's (oiled oak). I am buying them back from the guy I sold them to and will pick them up tomorrow. Yipee! The wood needs to be oiled, but otherwise they are in excellent condition. I am so happy to have recovered my long lost children, haha!

Nice! I am similarly happy today. About 14 years ago I sold my Klipsch Forte II's (oiled oak). I am buying them back from the guy I sold them to and will pick them up tomorrow. Yipee! The wood needs to be oiled, but otherwise they are in excellent condition. I am so happy to have recovered my long lost children, haha!

Thats a great story.....nice to have them back in the family again.