Yusuf's Cafe' (Cat Stevens)

Coytee

I had some Cat Stevens LP's years ago, when I stopped playing LP's and switched to DVD's I lost many of my old albums. I had not had any of Cat Stevens music in years and this thread has got me thinking about him again.

His music was a little different than what I normally listened to even back then but there was something really nice about his music, I guess I need to go find some of his old music that I liked first then maby try something new from him. He did have many really good songs now that I think back.

I think you'll have fun! I picked up his "Greatest Hits" CD from 1975, the CD release was 2000 and it didn't take long before I was digging out my Lp's. Tea for the Tillerman, Teaser and the Firecat, Catch Bull At Four, Buddha and the Chocolate Box and I realized how good he was/is.

Dennie

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo Coytee did you get to listen to the second half yet??

I put it on again last night. Wife was babysitting with her 2 year old (endless energy I might add) nephew so my experience was more of chase him around the house (literally) while having it play in the background! We ran (he ran, I walked) countless circles through the kitchen, 2 dining rooms, foyer and living room in a big endless circle, over & over & over & over ad nauseum. (freaking little energizer bunny!!!!!)

Yusuf's / Cat's voice is still easily recognizable, I did notice it breaking once/twice, especially when he tried to hit a couple lower notes on something like "The Wind" (unsure but I think it was the correct track)

I'm a bit confused on one track, "Don't Let me be Misunderstood" (by The Animals). I think he does a great version of that song. He was almost to the chorus of it while I was sitting there thinking "I know this song.... " What I mean by that is he didn't do a carbon copy of it, he did his own version of it. I think he did a very nice version. I'll admit I was wondering if he used that song as a plea to others in his religion telling them to not misunderstand him.

I might add I REALLY like the setting. Seems it is in a pretty small, intimate place, presumably in London (?) Video is very nice.

Oh...a song on there that clearly has something behind it, "The Little Ones" First time I heard it, I didn't hear what he was saying, just heard more of the tune and really liked it. Played it back again and realized it was a darker song than I anticipated.

I have family visiting this weekend, I'm looking forward to a day next week when no family is here, no nephew is here and I can add some volume to the system and give this a nice listen.

I really think any Cat Stevens fan will enjoy this. To tell you the truth... (how to say this without it sounding kooky?) I was outside walking my dogs just yesterday, thinking about this DVD. The only way I can think to put it is, now that he's released this, it now feels like some things are back where they should be. Almost like there has been a hole in music with his absence over the years and now part of that hole is filled. Kind of weird but that's the best way I can think of describing my thought. Perhaps like meeting up with an old long lost friend is a better way to put it.

You brought up the religion subject.

If you are basing your decision for not wanting to hear his music on his becoming Islam it's a sad mistake.

Islam is not a religion. And lets not get into religion discussion.

This is about Cat Steven's not religion.

No one is twisting anyone's arm. But collectively, you all think that it's a mistake not to listen to him. It's a mistake to think so that way.

Let me repeat myself again, never heard of him or any of the songs listed! Lets it be an end to that.

No one is twisting your arm to participate in this thread Wink

Funny just a month ago I bought Greatest Hits and Back To Earth off ebay. Both are sealed. One has a sticker on the front that says 2for$1.00Indifferent I paid $10 each.

That's funny and so ture. I buy used vinyl and most of the time I pay more than the price tag on the album! LOL

Believe me, I try to get it for the sticker price! [;)]

Dennie

You brought up the religion subject.

No, from your remarks it appeared this was why you would not want to listen to his music, maybe that's wrong but that is how you made it appear by your remarks made after the posts before them. Regardless of whatever Cat Stevens religion is, his music is great, so is his songwriting, he's very talented. From his music and all I have heard of him he is also a very good peace promoting man.

His own performances of his songs were great and there have been many other performers who also have had very successful and very good versions of his songs. Some of these versions were so successful someone may think it was the original music of the artist performing it. It would be very hard for me to image not hearing any of Cat Stevens music if you listened to ROCK/POP music in the 70's, 80's 90's or 00's if you never heard his name or him performing you probably heard someone else performing a song he wrote..

If you are unfamiliar....buy the greatest hits...One of last artists with the hard edge minstral style with some truly tuneful emotional stuff....you"ll swear it all rhymes, but it doesnt...he is having a hard time carrying a tune these days, so I would'nt recommend the new offerings...

A few versions of "The First Cut is the Deepest" performed by many artists of many genres from the 60's to current. This was one of Cat Steven's earliest songs he had written in the early mid 60's Cat Steven's main fame came in the 70's. A beautiful song with so many versions.

Rod Stewart

Sheryl Crow

Keith Hampshire

P.P. Arnold

Leona Lewis

Duffy

Linda Ronstadt

James Morrison

Leona (American Idol)

Papa Dee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMU4zVXfgw

Kashief Lindo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NenlTxi2B6o

Norma Fraser

Joy White

Hortense Ellis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9QmsQiRSZk

i roy TROJAN

Richard Dunn

Geraldine Addison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gLSgNzXJdU

Cat Stevens (very old original 60's version)

Thanks Rich, I never knew.

When Crow is introduced in that YouTube clip, the announcer says " here is Sheryl Crow, with her song "the first cut is the deepest"...

I thought it was hers, as well.

lol

I loved the cat back in the day (60's 70's) but I missed TFCITD.

I admit to removing him from my "buy the next CD" list when controversy overwhelmed my perception of him as an artist.

The old stuff WAS wonderfull...

N

Rich, you have your opinions and I have mine. I have nothing against Stevens. I just choose not to listen to his music. I loose nothing and you loose nothing. Now, can we please move on?
Almost feels like Batmans Robin is back.... [:^)]

I bought his MagiKat dvd and really enjoy it. I think it was his last tour before he walked away from his career. He has since then, made a mild comeback and today, I saw/bought "Yusuf's Cafe'

Thanks for the info on these 2 dvd's, I will have to pick them up. I have heard his music before, growing up on the radio, and I do like it as a matter of fact I have 2 albums that I just listen to last week.

James

Rich, you have your opinions and I have mine. I have nothing against Stevens. I just choose not to listen to his music. I loose nothing and you loose nothing. Now, can we please move on?
Almost feels like Batmans Robin is back.... Huh?

Now that's some funny stuff.......

James

From his music and all I have heard of him he is also a very good peace promoting man.

His song Peace Train would be a good indicator of that...

As for preferences, my favourite Cat Stevens' material is Side Two of Mona Bone Jakon, one of his earliest albums. Peter Gabriel plays the flute on one of the songs.

Side One is pretty good, too.