Any opinions on the LED HDTVs?

D-Rex

My understanding is that the term LED in TVs is more marketing than quality of picture and refers to the back lighting. I agree that best bank for the buck is Plasma, but the way that I look at TV purchases is I decide what I'm willing to spend and then, what's the best decision based on the budget and factoring in reliability of the specific unit. A good friend of mine uses this phrase all the time...................You buy leading edge, not bleeding edge! IMO

LED back lighting is either from the side (very vague) or from the back (has many more 'areas or zones' of LEDs to turn on and off. I just bought the 'cheap' Vizio VF551XVT back lit model and it's great. I have Vizio plasma, Vizio LCD/LED and Vizio LCD. I decided long ago that unless I have a pure, dedicated, no holds barred theater room I was not going for the gusto and then it would be a projector. I tend to watch 1080i satellite much more than I watch 1080p BlueRay.

The LED's have better blacks with longer longevity. Roughly 960 LED backlights (40" 1080P) to 2million LCD pixels. After about 3 years a conventional backlight system will start to lose its brightness and you have to tweek it up a bit.

JJK

To be able to get the Biggest TV for a reasonable price, just go with LCD TV'S................

LED versions are to expensive , but in about 2 years prices will tumble.

Samsung is the Model I like and they have a great picture and good Price Point............

i agree with bill, just get a lcd samsung-sony tv or you can wait like i'm going to do for the new 3-d sets that are coming out in a few months. early reports say they will only cost a few hundred over what prices are now. i looked at the new led's and couldn't see any picture improvement.

i have 4 lcd flat panels from samsung and sony. can i tell the difference in picture quality. no

i may not own an LED screen but i do own a CC backlit lcd and have done some reading about it. Hands down, overall, the LCD tv set beats plasma out in almost every category except blacks being that deep black.

The Sidelit LCD panels are a great invention but its slimness leave it shorthanded in some ways. The side lighting doesn't allow enough of the proper dimming to give you those deep blacks. The trade off is its amazing slimness. Backlit LED panels are great because they allow for more localized dimming aka less pixels per LED which allow for great dimming effects but then again, the dimming can only be so accurate since there is only 1 LED responsible for so many pixels.

Ontop of the backlit LED's you need to read further to find out how its backlit, individual color LEDs or tri-chip LEDs where sony has chips with RGB whereas other have individual LEDs with different colors. Sony has their HDNA which comprises of a single chip with multiple colors on it. Either way you still deal with the localized dimming effects.

Bang for the buck, plasma is better, LED tech is still new for TV's and if you got themoney and want it bad enough may be worth buying but CC backed LCD's still arent bad. Just keep in mind LED sets are at minimum 40% more energy efficient i think it was than CC backed tv's or plasmas.

I'm at work writing this, i'll have to double check later on sony's chip, i think its tri or quad color, i have a blip about it in one of my sound and vision magazines.

I own two plasma's and an lcd and have spent a lot of time watching a led/lcd set.

plasma's have better blacks, yes. thats true. but they also have much better shadow detail. where led/lcd sets are able to get darker than traditional lcd sets, they achieve this by giving up a significant amount of shadow detail.

the deep blacks give the plasma's more saturated colors and details in the picture. plasma's have more dynamic gray scale ranges which will help render the more "3d" effect to the picture. they also more steps in the tonal range as the difference between black and white is greater.

plasma's deliver better color accuracy as they can render deeper, richer colors, and they can blend tones better than lcds, which generates a larger color pallet.

plasma's do not suffer from motion issues like lcd sets. and plasma's also have much better viewing angles than lcd sets.

and if you plan on doing any gaming, plasma is a much better choice because of all these factors.

and i almost forgot, plasma's have longer lifespans than most lcd sets on the market. panasonic plasma's are rated at 100,000 hours. thats over 11 years if you leave it on 24/7

here's a link to read up on:

http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Plasma_ShootOut.htm

Yes, I think there is no comparison plasma gives a much more realistic and cinematic picture where LCD has always looked very false to me, with less detail LCD gives a somewhat animated look by comparison. Actually LCD does produce a better animated picture, but I don't watch much animation, so I prefer the much more realistic picture of plasma.

Well, I think the LED is going back to the store. Our viewing habits can't get past the loss of picture quality 40-60 degress of dead center, the blurring that occurs even during the non-action scenes, and the obvious pixilation that occurs during action scenes and football games. Now I know why they don't have regular HD programming connected to the LEDs at Sears or even at Best Buy.

I don't see any pixelation in HD mode on both my Sony 60hz LCDs (XBR6, XBR2) 1080P OTA or in DVD/Bluray mode. SD is another story and is not good. Keep in mind that banding, stretchovision, signal fading (pixelation) , focus changing (using widerscreen cameras instead of HD cameras because they are cheaper), minute oscillating focus changes (hunting--don't know who is to blame for this one) are broadcast tranmission problems, not the set. The quality of the local NEWS broadcast stations is exceptional inside the building, not remote. I don't see any of the "impressions" in the previous posts other than the deep black stuff.

JJK

I have an LG plasma,LG lcd,Sony lcd and a Sharp Aquos.I ended up with the Aquos lc60e77un in my main room because it has a fantastic picture with no motion blur or pixelation.I like the Sharp best of all my tv's,I would never have went to buy a Sharp but I found I prefered it to all the tv's under $2k,it was $1,749,list $2,999,street about $2k.