New LPs

hart11b

Mike,

You might be able to use the Nikko as a preamp. I'm not familiar with the Nikko but it might have "pre-out/amp-in" RCA connections on the back. If so, they'd probably be blocked with "U-Connectors" that look like U-shaped nails. Even if it doesn't, there might be another way to do it. Maybe someone else can chime in if you get to that point. That way you can hook up a tube amp and use the Nikko's phono stage/preamp section. It's really nice having the MM/MC option built in! I used my old Kenwood receiver as a preamp with a Mac 240 for a while and it sounded really good.

Gary,

The Nikko doesn't have L/R pre-out or main-in, or I would have done it. I do have a Harmon Kardon 330B or something receiver that does have pre-out and main-in. I could try it and see how it goes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same comment. I have bought quite a few really bad sounding new albums. It seems like a craps shoot on albums that cost $20 to $50. And I am ot just talking about mastering, surface noise too. Really bad sometimes, where I have many silent used LP's.

I don't understand why current state of the art can not produce as good or better sounding vinyl product. I don't think "they" want to.

On related rant Independant record stores are droping like flys. I have had four of them close in the last year in my market. A sign of the times maybe. But if we have the opportunity and joy of shoping in a real record store shop there first. If not soon our only choices will be Best Buy and the internet. A few more years and it may be only the internet and WalMart!! (I think I almost threw up there. Sorry.)

If you ever get down Tallahassee way, there is a place on the corner of Pensacola and White called Vinyl Fever(vinylfever.com). I was in there 6 or 8 months

ago and they had new and used vinyl, but the ratio of one to the other I couldn't tell you,but if your ever in the area you ought to check it out.

If you ever get down Tallahassee way, there is a place on the corner of Pensacola and White called Vinyl Fever(vinylfever.com). I was in there 6 or 8 months

ago and they had new and used vinyl, but the ratio of one to the other I couldn't tell you,but if your ever in the area you ought to check it out.

I'll be passing through Tallhahasee in a few days and I'll have to check it out. Thanks for all the info everyone, I learn something new all the time.

A lot of used book stores have LP sections, usually hidden somewhere in the back. I found one just the other day that had hundreds of NM jazz LPs along with lots of rock and classical, all for under $10 and most for $6.99. There wasn't anything I wanted since I have about 1,000 I'd like to sell myself but for someone with a sparse collection (like me 7 or 8 years ago), it might have been a great find. With the internet, the days of finding that rare $1,000 Blue Note in a stack of LPs is pretty much gone. Most people know what they have and set aside the good stuff to sell on ebay.

I have the same comment. I have bought quite a few really bad sounding new albums. It seems like a craps shoot on albums that cost $20 to $50. And I am ot just talking about mastering, surface noise too. Really bad sometimes, where I have many silent used LP's.

I don't understand why current state of the art can not produce as good or better sounding vinyl product. I don't think "they" want to.

On related rant Independant record stores are droping like flys. I have had four of them close in the last year in my market. A sign of the times maybe. But if we have the opportunity and joy of shoping in a real record store shop there first. If not soon our only choices will be Best Buy and the internet. A few more years and it may be only the internet and WalMart!! (I think I almost threw up there. Sorry.)

Low production quantities makes a profit more difficult. Hire cheap labor, I visualise a truck pulling up outside of Star Nursery and gettign a bunch of day laborers, and no quality control and there you have it.

Some companies have really stepped up. When the Doors box set came out with problems, the manufacturer gave free replacements, no doubt with a dispute and threatened lawsuit with the subcontractor. I was just listening to my copy last night and it is outstanding. The few Japanese pressings that I have are silent. But they should all be silent when new.

I actually prefer used right now. If it is a gem, great, if not, I can use it on my other table. Sad state of affairs.

I still had a functioning TT when I lived in Madison... but I was on the other side of the capitol on Gorham St. Finally moved out to outside of Waterloo. THose were some great times (not that they're bad now...)

Bruce

There's always something around to be amazed about. Sometimes, dont even have to look. I am still having a hard time understanding why you guys are playing with those big black frizbees. The tube amps, now I understand that. Is it just because you can? Am I missing out on something? No offense please, I just dont get it.

There's always something around to be amazed about. Sometimes, dont even have to look. I am still having a hard time understanding why you guys are playing with those big black frizbees. The tube amps, now I understand that. Is it just because you can? Am I missing out on something? No offense please, I just dont get it.

Because with the right setup, vinyl just sounds better (to my ears anyway). In some cases, WAY better.

Where does Matt 1970 live? If you're ever in the DC area, stop by and I'll give you a demo. We can a/b some albums (CD vs LP) and you can judge for yourself. It can't be just coincidence that so many audiophiles prefer vinyl.

Matt lives in good ol' Central Missouri, dont make it out east often. If I go east it will be N. Carolina. Hit the mountains and not leave.

I just remember how much work was involved in spinning vinyl from when I was a kid. Thanks for the info. I dont know any one around here that could turn me onto some quality vinyl sounds. I really dont know anyone else around here into high end audio. you guys are my current information besides the local shop and it always costs me a bit o change every time I walk thru the door.

I like the articles that state that we like vinyl because of nostalgia and the extra work and surface noise and pops and clicks is why. Nice misinformation there. If I had to put up with these things I would get out of vinyl.

Oddly enough, not to start a debate over an old subject, but after having tubes in the past I don't get the tube thing. They sound great, but quality SS sounds just as good without the headaches. If you heard my current system you would swear that it is a tube system because of its qualities but it is all SS except for one of the phono stages (I use 2 of them for 2 TT's).

No Sugar Shack, I live in Columbia, Missouri. We do have a Gorham St. though...I am not sure of any Madison or Marvel near by. I have lived here all my life, love it. I am a pretty outdoors person and there are endless possibilities for adventure here. Although, my Klipsch have managed to keep me pretty entertained this winter. Is Columbia the area that you meant?

Tubes have never been a hassle for me. My 299b has not had a problem in the 7 years I've owned it and other than the fun of tube rolling, my VRDs and BBX have been working perfectly for years and years.

As far as vinyl, I happen to enjoy the process. If it is too much strain to get up after 25 minutes and flip over an LP, maybe an Ipod would be a better option. Who cares about sound quality if it means spending 90 seconds turning over an album and performing all the strenuous activities like using an anti-static brush and setting down a tonearm. Those cue levers can be downright exhausting![|-)]

Interesting on the tube thing. I have tried a few ss options but have not found anything that engages me as much as my tube set ups. Probabky havent tried the right ss.

Josh

Josh,

There is a lot of SS that does not do the trick, I definately agree. But here is an example, I have a Tercel and use the internal phono stage on my SS preamp (actually a hybred but I think that is just a gimmik, great preamp anyway though). I'm not sure which one is better. The Tercel is outstanding, but my SS phono stage is also outstanding so the tubes are not an advantage. Being able to change tubes in the Tercel is a huge plus as I have tuned it, but it is no better than the phono stage in my preamp. BTW, don't take this as a knock on the Tercel, I actually have two of them, a I and a II (The II is on loan to a good friend).

Here are a few other examples that have caused me to change my opinion.

I had a tube preamp and played with very expensive vintage tubes for a while and got tired of the hassle and expense. I went with a SS Preamp and it had the same "tubelike" sound plus was dead quiet. Now, this particular preamp was intentionally voiced to sound "tubelike" and 2 times as expensive as the tube preamp, so that has to be taken into consideration. It was also recommended by Kevin Deal at Upscale and his comment was that it sounded better than other premamps that were much more expensive than this particular model, so we are comparing an SS model that was several steps up the ladder from the tube preamp.

Next is a friend that has a system that is all new VTL gear and Wilson MAXX II speakers. This is just an awesome system and tuned in, room treatments, the works. It is spot on and sounds awesome, but it definately does not sound like tubes. When we compare, my system has the "tube" warmth and bloom (mine being all SS) and his is more analytical (not to take anything away, it is just an awesome system and one of the best that I have ever heard).

I also have a friend that went from a tubes to SS and his system now sounds more romantic and tubelike (he is using my original SS preamp mentioned above).

When I go to audio shows and dealers, their tube system also tend to sound like mine. This is just my experience.

Gary,

I agree. Getting up is not a big deal at all. Honestly, if CD's had the same quality, without the cleaning, huge storage space, huge expense where a good cart cost as much as a high end CD player, and never any pops or clicks even when buying used CD's, I'd much prefer CD's, but that does not seem to be the case so I am 99% vinyl and hesitate to buy CD's, even if it is something that I want because I may not play it much (Ex. the new Doors live box set, or the Beatles box set that I could have gotten for $99 on Amazon but waited too long because I didn't think that I would play CD's).