New LPs

hart11b

Very cool, Marvel. My wife lived on Gorham St when we were dating in '98. Yep.....definately great times. I love this area. Exclusive Co, Ear Wax Records, and Sugar Shack records are still around. Go local Biz!

Were you going to school here in Madison?

I was working for a small weekly paper in Monona, doing production work. I think the paper has closed. The owner retired just after I left and had sold the paper to another publisher. We moved to Madison in '80, out to Waterloo in '85. Had a house out on the Crawfish River just outside of Waterloo. In '88, we moved back South to the Chattanooga, TN area where my late wife's family lived.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually prefer used right now. If it is a gem, great, if not, I can use it on my other table. Sad state of affairs.

I've been buying a lot of used right now. Some of the originals, or re-issue's for that matter, sound better than some of whats coming out new. I just ordered Julie London's "Julie Is Her Name", 2-45rpm Lp's and from what I've read, the sound quality is outstanding. PMSummers has it and said the same. So, I expect it to be good. I also ordered Norah Jones' new one on 180gram vinyl, but that one could be a crap-shoot, I've got my fingers crossed [:^)]

Dennie

Dennie,

I love Norah Jones music. If you don't have it, get her doubel live album, it is about $25 and it just great. I listened to some samples of her new album and I think she sold out. It's not bad, but I love her jazz and it definately is a different animal. Her music is very well recorded though.

Her double live in Austin Tx? Yes, I have that one and love it!

I've heard a lot about "The Fall" and I hear the vinyl sounds good, but the romantic break up of her and her long time bass player really had a lot to do with this album. Different is what I keep hearing and for $20, I thought I had better check it out. I too love her jazz and I hope there is something I like on the new album. We'll See.

Thanks for the input. It is threads like this one that can help us find the "Good" vinyl! [;)]

Dennie

I think the Fall is her best LP to date. It has really grown on me. While her previous lps became boring after a number of listenings this one gets better at least that is my experience.

Tigerwoodhorns- On the SS thing. What preamp/power amp are you using? Just curious.

Josh

One reason I play old vinyl is because it is cheap! I checked out a consignement store yesterday and picked up about 20 lps for $20.00. I know that that is a little more than 0.50 or 0.25 at a garage sale but the vinyl in these were in good shape. The covers not so good. brought them home cleaned them and I'll have 12 to 15 hrs of entertainment for $20.00. Buying old vinyl is a crap shoot. You can visually inspect it but there can still be skips and clicks. I was lucky with most of these. The Deeep Purple Machine Head does have a skip in it. O well, it was a buck. I've throw away a buck on a lot less.

Dennie,

I love Norah Jones music. If you don't have it, get her doubel live album, it is about $25 and it just great. I listened to some samples of her new album and I think she sold out. It's not bad, but I love her jazz and it definately is a different animal. Her music is very well recorded though.

Her double live in Austin Tx? Yes, I have that one and love it!

I've heard a lot about "The Fall" and I hear the vinyl sounds good, but the romantic break up of her and her long time bass player really had a lot to do with this album. Different is what I keep hearing and for $20, I thought I had better check it out. I too love her jazz and I hope there is something I like on the new album. We'll See.

Thanks for the input. It is threads like this one that can help us find the "Good" vinyl! Wink

Dennie

Norah Jones fans......

I'm not a huge fan but I like her first album. I recently bought the Classic Records single-sided Clarity Vinyl 200 gram 4-LP box Set. They sell for $50 at any of the usual places (Acoustic Sounds, etc.) and let me tell you, it completely changes the way I perceive that LP. It is truly an amazing pressing. I own about 7 of the Clarity Vinyl sets and all but one just blow me away. I highly recommend you give one a try if you can afford the $50. I sold a few of my original Blue Notes and used the money to buy the CV albums.

If you like Norah Jones, you MUST buy the Lorna Hunt box set. It might be my favorite of them all. I'd never even heard of her until I bought the set!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/61182/Lorna_Hunt-All_In_One_Day-45_RPM_Vinyl_LP

They recorded this in an old empty theater and the sound quality is excellent. They also do a couple really nice covers - "Whipping Post" and "Piece Of My Heart." I'm really surprised so few have even heard of her (myself included).

Thanks Gary! I have not heard of her either, but I added the album(s) to my wish list.

lcla1015c.jpg

Always great to get recommendations from people we trust! [Y]

Link to Music Direct-----Click Here

Dennie