Klipsch KG 5.2 fix or replace

cjthor

I own a pair of KG 5.2's. I purchased them new in 1992. Through abuse by myself and others who felt the urge to see if they could turn the amp up all the way, they have become damaged. I am not sure how bad yet. My guess is that one off the woofers or maybe both are shot. One has been repaird once by a not so good repair person. I like the speakers and am looking for opinions on whether I should fix them or replace them. I have found a set of Hersey's that were made in 1983 as well as a set of Tangent 400's. They are both asking 425.

Thanks,

cjthor

The KG 5.x series are some sweet speakers, I'd hang on to them if its not too costly to fix.

One way to determine if its the woofer that's damaged as opposed to anything crossover-related is to swap the woofers out and see if they still sound distorted or whatever is telling you that they are shot.

Welcome. You'll like it here.

The 5.2's are great speakers that do best at least seven feet apart and toed in slightly. The Heresy's have a better overall sound but are weaker in the bass than the KG's and you should be able to fix the KG's for far less money than buying the Heresy's.

First you have to determine what's been damaged. Run some music through them and blocking the woofers with a piece of cardboard, see if you are getting sound from the tweeters. The tweeters are the most likely components to be blown out first when overdriven. If you don't hear anything you can order replacement tweeter coils from Klipsch parts for about $30. If it's the woofer, identify which ones and they are probably still available. If not you may find one on ebay.

Good luck and let us know what you have found.

The other thing I'd check is the Passive Radiators - they can only handle so much until they tear away. At least, that's what the "farting" sound was when I did it to my KG 3.2

BTW, the 5.2 is a GREAT speaker. Make sure you leave your bass controls "FLAT" and you should have no trouble bleeding your ears without damaging the speakers. I broke mine the first time I went from a Dolby Pro Logic receiver to Dolby Digital. I used like to add some bass on the old receiver, so set up it similarly on the new DD receiver not aware of what LFE was at the time. As soon as I played my first movie loud with a lot of LFE, I nearly had a heart attack, but my KG 3.2 didn't fare so well.

Thanks for your help. I have not had the speakers hooked up for over a year and am not sure what was wrong. Would you be able to assist me in the parts I am looking for? Specifically the woofer and the passives. I should be able to find the tweeter. My receiver goes in today. The last set of people to abuse it also some how managed to break. The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V795a. They triped some fuse I think. You can listen to it for a short time befor it shuts down. To many parties in my youth. I also did some reading about the receiver that suggusted running a powered sub woofer would be a good thing.

Thanks,

cjthor