Speaker Building: The Beginning

Hi Klipsch Forum members. I'm looking for resources on how to learn more about speaker building, so if you could recommend books, software, whatever that would be great. I've read stuff online but so far its either over my head or to basic to apply to speaker building, or it only tells you how to build a cabinet for one situation, instead of to design cabinets. When I say building, I mean cabinet construction, but you probably already knew that. I know a lot of it is just personal preference or situation but I need help to get started and was looking for some referrals on where to get information and what software is best for design (that isn't too expensive, preferably under $50 dollars, or free :) ).

My first project will be a car subwoofer to put into the back. I would like some recommendations on: whether this is a good first undertaking, and on how I should go about getting started.

My thinking for a car sub being a good first was: if its sealed, hopefully cabinet construction won't be do difficult. If it's ported, shouldn't be to difficult either. Only one driver to mess with, and no crossover or anything like that. If it doesn't turn out that amazing, its in a car, which doesn't have the world's best speakers in it to begin with. And I could always rebuild (or recheck) the cabinet till I get it right.

I want to build my sub for under $60 dollars (without amp). So I'm trying to use the partsexpress clearance sales to get a good but cheap 8" or 10" driver. Any recommendations for a cheap but decent 8" or 10" driver would be great. I'm looking for frequency response to go down to about 30 Hz, but I'll settle for 35 or 40 Hz if need be. Lower of course is better. I'd like the highest sensitivity possible for a small cabinet with a decent driver so I don't have to have as much amp power. I want the speaker to be able to take about 100 to 150 watts RMS. The main goals of this project are: fits in my car without to much a fuss (I'll get approximate measurements up, but I'd like to do this myself yet have a help resource at the same time so measurements aren't that important), goes down to about 35Hz, fills the car with clean yet powerful bass, is under $60 dollars without amp (the cheaper the better), and isn't to difficult to construct. Are these goals too lofty or too low or about right? Thanks in Advance!

This is a pretty detailed book, but it has a section on car systems and you'll find yourself rereading it as you're knowledge grows.

Sealed subs are pretty easy assuming electronic crossover is used. You just need to get the inside volume correct for the T/S parameters of the driver.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=500-035

Thanks for the info guys! I will probably buy that book. I read that it is not the most beginner friendly is that true? But I'm not a complete beginner since I have some knowledge about how speakers work and what makes a good one so it may not be a problem for me.Thanks again for the suggestions. Any suggestions on a more beginner friendly book if its true that Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is more for the intermediate and above level?