In line fuse? RF-7 and Yamaha M-80

Matthews

I am running a pair of RF-7's with an Adcom 5400 (125 wpc). Last night I picked up a Yamaha M-80 (250 wpc) on e-bay. It has been suggested that I install in line fuses between the Yamaha and Klipsch. Is this something I need to consider? If so, can the supplies be purchased at Radio Shack or do I need to look elsewhere? I will using all the Yamaha has to give and dont not want to do any damage. A little expense now vs huge heart ache later? I like to push the Klipsch to near dangerous levels and need a little advice. Thanks for your time...

Thanks for your time...

(Sat, Jan 23 2010 10:12 AM)

Really?

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/130025.aspx

I had a simple question about an audio issue,
no response. I thought this was a place to share information and find
answers to common Klipsch problems. So I guess a person has to lie to
get your attention. Maybe you just need a horn put in an unpleasent
area to get some attention around here...Thanks for nothing!

(Sat, Jan 23 2010 11:22 AM)

Seriously, what the heck?

I am running a pair of RF-7's with an Adcom 5400 (125 wpc). Last night I picked up a Yamaha M-80 (250 wpc) on e-bay. It has been suggested that I install in line fuses between the Yamaha and Klipsch. Is this something I need to consider? If so, can the supplies be purchased at Radio Shack or do I need to look elsewhere? I will using all the Yamaha has to give and dont not want to do any damage. A little expense now vs huge heart ache later? I like to push the Klipsch to near dangerous levels and need a little advice. Thanks for your time...

Now, to answer your question, I have never heard of such a thing. Heck, I don't know how you would run fuses between the processor and the amp. If that is an integrated amp, I don't know how you would hook up fuses between the amp and speakers?!

I think a little common sense will be enough. If it sounds like you are going to damage something.........back off a little. If that is not something you feel you can do, I would look into pro gear.

Dennie

Looks like Matt is a cool dude:
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/130033.aspx

I agree with Dennie that you should use your ears as the throttle for the volume. The problem with fuses is that they don't blow fast enough to protect the drivers unless you way undersize the fuse...and then you end up sacrificing quite a bit of usable output.

When I bought my first Klipsch speakers in 1985 (KG4s) with a Yamaha receiver (85 WPC) the Klpsch dealer that sold the rig highly recommended a 1 amp in-line fuse on the (+) wire to each speaker. I installed the fuses, and I could listen at very high SPLs and never blew a fuse.

However, a neighbor dropped by to check out my new stereo, and while I was in another room, he cranked the volume very, very high - to the point of clipping the amp. Before I could get back to the room to turn down the volume, the sound went silent. When I entered the room, my neighbor had the look of horror because he thought he had killed my new speakers.

Without saying a word, I reached behind one of the speakers and removed the blown fuse. I told him these were installed to keep idiots like him from blowing up my speakers. No damage to the speakers resulted.

Fusing the speaker lines can be a cheap insurance policy.

When I was 18 or so I had some Infinity Qa speakers with EMIT ribbon tweeters. I kept blowing them. Infinity was good about fixing them, but once the warranty wore out, I put a fuse inline to the tweeter only. Never blew them again, until college when I blew the fuse and was too lazy to get a new 25 cent fuse. Used aluminum foil to bypass right before a party....That was the end of both tweeters. The good news?? That is when I went to Sound Pro in Indy and first heard Klipsch - bought Heresy's at Classic Stereo in FtWayne and still have them 20 years later... The infinity's went into storage. One day cleaning out before moving to Connecticut, I burned them in a bon fire = one of the stupidest moves I've made....The woofers and cabinets were fine. I'd forgotten about it until now... Thanks alot guys... [:'(]

• Like 1