Tube amps

BerserkNitro

Ok...Ive been pulling my hair out of my head looking at alot of tube amps/intergrated ones! My question is what would you guys do?

Budget of $500-$700. And i will be using them with my chorus 1's and once in awhile with my RF-7's.

SET Amps? Push Pull Amps? Ive read alot of people like SET amps with there Klipsch.. I dont mind if its vintage or newer model suggestions. I might be interested in a DIY too.

I dont have a dealer to go and do a A/B comparison (thats why iam as here) lol...But would love to hear your opinions! Sorry if this has already been asked a million times!!! If this is in the wrong section please forgive me...Having a bad day..

There many variables but for your budget, and to pair with Chorus, and esp. if this is your first foray into tubes, I'd suggest a Scott 299 integrated. I've been quite happy with mine for several years. Admittedly my ears are not as sensitive nor my budget as healthy as many who might consider this an all too obvious entry-level solution. Your budget is just about what you'd expect to pay for a nice one rebuilt. I also have a factory Eico HF-81 which was all the rage when I first got into it and the Scott has better dynamics and cleaner high-end in my setup. I have been quite satisfied with the Eico paired with Heresy IIs as a secondary system. I finally feel that I hit low-cost nirvana by adding a SVS 10" foundation under the Lascalas. I have friends with tens of thousands invested and they all say it's amazing what I have put together for under $2k.

SETs are really interesting and I am tempted to give them a try myself, but you have to be willing to accept the limitations and I doubt that the Chorus is the speaker for that experiment, especially if you listen to music that needs punch at times. And good ones would probably require a bigger budget. Cornwalls and SETs are said to be a good match for jazz.

I'd suggest a Scott 299 integrated. I've been quite happy with mine for several years. Admittedly my ears are not as sensitive nor my budget as healthy as many who might consider this an all too obvious entry-level solution. Your budget is just about what you'd expect to pay for a nice one rebuilt. I also have a factory Eico HF-81 which was all the rage when I first got into it and the Scott has better dynamics and cleaner high-end in my setup.

============================================================================================

Start at the very beginning it is a very good place to start....

Modest tube HIFI started with stereo tube integrateds. Some people like the Scott tube mono integrateds in pairs. SEADOG as I recall hadf a pair of Scott 99s.

If you start there you know what the early 60s HIFI DUDE (SCHREWW the audiophile moniker) was emotionally attached to.

As many of my cohorts of debate have read my frirm position, the Scott vintage has the best phono sections. Even my NOS Valves rebuilt AMPEX pre was a step behind in phono performance. AMPEX was the best of tape, tape machines and other professional grade analog components. BITD

I think SPL desires and room size are the biggest factors in SET apreciation. My room are big and I like to ROCK out at times.

Good luck on your path!

Rick

I'm using the Scott 99ds (two integrated) with Heresy's and really like the sound. Paid $400 for two of them (w/3 telfunkens each) about 6 years ago - reliable as hell. Economical way to go, I think. I even think I paid a little more than normal at the time, or so I'm told, but they were in chicago and close!

You can se them in my avatar.

• Like 1

Get a JWN tube amp and thank me later (google "JWN amps"). Jim Nichols make tube amps on the side, his day job is an electrical engineer. I bought one of his amps because of it's extensive features and low entry cost. Great guy to talk to and knows how to build solid tube amps.

Here's my review from Audio Asylum:

"I’m writing this review after a recent purchase (second hand) of a tube amp from a very low-volume, custom builder. Prior to my purchase, I had never heard of or read anything about his offerings. I bought the tube amp for several reasons: reasonable cost, quality of parts, extensive feature set, and the ability to switch between outputs: speaker terminals and a built in ¼” headphone jack.

A little bit of background on my limited exposure to tube amps that I’ve had the pleasure of having in my 2ch system. I’ve had two completely refreshed/rebuilt vintage push-pull tube amps in the form of an EICO HF-81 and a Scott 222C. I owned a John Hogan 6sn7/27/2A3&45 SET amp and still own a John Hogan 6sn7/76/300B SET amp. All four of these tube amps were a true eye-opener to how great music can sound with a tube amp. It convinced me that tubes need to be somewhere in my 2ch system from now on.

My current configuration:
- EAD CDP (custom modified)
- Audio Mirror DAC (modified by TRL)
- Tube Technology Tube Preamp
- Promitheus Transformer Buffer
- JWN 6AQ5 Tube Amp
- Meadowlark Swallow 2-Way or Klipsch Chorus II
- Audio Magic Matrix (modified by Audio Magic)
- Two dedicated 20amp circuits for audio equipment only

My 2ch system has come a long way, both in the quality of components and in the complexity of the system. I think that each component elevates the performance of the system and careful thought has gone into each component and what benefits and synergies it brings.
Prior to inserting the JWN tube amp, I was rotating through a number of other fantastic amps that I have. Two are chip amp from the genius of Stan Warren, one ICE-based pair of custom mono-blocks from Audio Magic, and my John Hogan 6sn7/76/300B SET amp. Each one of these amps are truly exceptional in my book and are keepers for the long haul. So with this level of incumbent amps, I was not too sure how the JWN tube amp would fair.
I’ll get right to the verdict – FANTASTIC! What a great little tube amp, it just makes music sound very good. I will not be letting go of this tube amp! The combination of being able to produce music that sounds very good, reasonable cost, quality of parts, extensive feature set, and the ability to switch between outputs: speaker terminals and a built in ¼” headphone jack. All the reasons of why I bought it were validated and it delivers on the reproduction of music. It clearly is both complimentary and commensurate with the rest of my components.

The sound is rich with a soundstage that has plenty of air and separation between vocals and instruments, details, layering, and good extension on top and bottom. Bass is strong and tight, better than what I’d expect to hear from a tube amp, midrange is real and present, and the highs are clear yet not offensive. All together, a very coherent and involving sound that captures and engages you. I would recommend that you consider a JWN amp if you want a tube amp that delivers in spades – price/performance."

• Like 1

Bob Latino has a ST-70 kit that would fit your budget and give you 35 watts per channel, more power than a SET amp. The Reference Series speakers require a bit of power to sound their best, so I'm not sure a SET amp would be a good choice for you. If you bought a kit, you would have an amp with all new parts, plus the satisfaction of building your own equipment. If you don't want to build your own, there are some great deals on ST-70's on A'gon.