So why can't Klipsch (Cornwalls) be driven with high powered amps?

tigerwoodKhorns

OK, so I have them at my disposal until he comes and gets them or they get shipped. So I am powering them with a Musical Fidelity KWP preamp and Classe CAM 350's, rated at 350/700 wpc and tested as being able to exceed these numbers by Stereophile. The preamp probably has enough power to drive the cornwalls.

SS equipment no less (the preamp is a hybred with metal military tubes in it). So they should sound bright edgy etc. because of the high powered SS right. I can attest that they are a smooth as any tubes with this front end, and not a hint of grain. Morover, they actually sound quite laid back (at least with the laid back music that I have been playing - New Allison Krauss/Robert Plant, Beatles Let it be Naked).

The monoblocks are 80 wpc in pure class A then go A/B for the remainder of ther powerband. I actually find the midrange to be recessed or off, but not horny or nasal at all, just somehow lacking in some detail or "boxed in". Not a huge degree, but I definately notice quite a bit because I am used to my other speakers. I am guessing that this is the 30 year old x-overs and exponential horn.

Anyway, my point is that very high powered SS can power these properly, as long as it is good gear. And my complaints are not the result of the high powered amps, it is the speakers (no offense, but it is commonly discussed here that the tweeters and midrange have a lot of room for improvement).

Anyway, my point is that very high powered SS can power these properly, as long as it is good gear.

Absolutely! I currently don't own any high power amps but I have never, ever heard any top tier system without using plenty of power.

Thanx, Russ

P.S. The more the better (especially if you are using a borrowed pair of special Cornwalls).

Thanks for the photos Chris...they are Persian Nutwood...the bastard step-child of Ramblin Rose haha (but the only known pair of Klipsch in PNGL finish). Glad to hear they are working as well. I run my current cornwalls on a G-9700 with 200 WPC...granted I would like some tubes some day, but the headroom is nice...I only need 3 clicks on the volume knob to make them about as loud as I need. The only immediate plans are a crossover refresh, grills and a repair of the laquer once the weather warms up in IL.

Anyway, my point is that very high powered SS can power these properly, as long as it is good gear. And my complaints are not the result of the high powered amps, it is the speakers (no offense, but it is commonly discussed here that the tweeters and midrange have a lot of room for improvement).

A few years back, some of us here in Nor cal gathered & compared amps. I brought my Adcom 585 & put it up against different tube amps. If you want to read about our shootout, read HERE

Actually, I probably never made it past 75 or 80 db.

I dont remember anyone saying Cornwalls couldn't be powered and sound ok with high powered amps. We just said they couldn't be played at high volumes with high or low powered amps. And I dont considered 80 dbs loud. At 110 dbs these things will cut your head off with that squawker. And the bass will begin to rumble with zero control. They make for an excellent Jazz speaker maybe one of the best just what you were using them for. Put some metal to them and crack the throttle on those amps and report back. Sorry Ace not trying to get your beauties blown up. But with the quality of gear that Tigerwood has it would be impossible to hurt anything.

Some Klipsch speakers remain smooth and well controlled and some others go crazy. I believe there were different design goals in mind with the different models. But then again this is all just my opinion so take it for what its worth.

A few years back, some of us here in Nor cal gathered & compared amps. I brought my Adcom 585 & put it up against different tube amps. If you want to read about our shootout, read HERE

Bryan, I still wish I had made that one! We've gotta do that again. I'm tellin' ya, it's a great group of gentlemen (...and then me[;)]!)