Help me decide!

Mark5

I would like to upgrade my yamaha rxv 630 to a newer receiver with hdmi and all the new bells and whistles. I have searced around and the same receivers are always reccomned. But of these which will match my speakers the best. Rf3 II, Rc3 II, Rs3 II, Ksw10. The price range is under $600 but $500 or less would be better.

Onkyo 607

Pioneer 1019/ vsx 21

Denon 1910

Marantz 5003

Yamaha 765

I'm also partial to Marantz, although from your list I've only owned Onkyo and Marantz of the brands listed.

From personal experience and what I've read of other's experiences, this is the order I'd recommend them in:

Marantz

Denon

Yamaha

Pioneer

Onkyo

Some newer Blu-Ray players, TVs and other devices that use HDMI might have handshake/compatibility issues with early HDMI versions. My Marantz is HDMI 1.2 I believe and almost without exception if I go into the receiver's menu and then go back to any HD source then I lose the picture until I turn the receiver off then back on, or change inputs to a SD source for a few seconds and then go back. It is annoying but its something I live with.

Some newer Blu-Ray players, TVs and other devices that use HDMI might have handshake/compatibility issues with early HDMI versions. My Marantz is HDMI 1.2 I believe and almost without exception if I go into the receiver's menu and then go back to any HD source then I lose the picture until I turn the receiver off then back on, or change inputs to a SD source for a few seconds and then go back. It is annoying but its something I live with.

So, wuzzer, you would still recommend the Marantz SR 7001 for the right price? What do you think would be a right price? I am interested in getting a Receiver that has the HDMI connections but don't have an arm and a leg to pay... maybe just an arm... ;-)

Used on eBay they sell for $375-450.

Accessories4less.com has an eBay store and they have them factory refurbished for $499.99 + shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-SR7001-110w-x-7ch-THX-HDMI-HD-Ipod-2nd-Zone_W0QQitemZ370326356830QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item56392bc35e

Here's a couple more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-SR7001-HDMI-THX-7-1-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ400099473285QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item5d27c97785

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-SR-7001-7-1-channel-Receiver_W0QQitemZ220546539975QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item33599921c7

I believe they originally retailed at $1399.

The only way I'd sell my Marantz is to upgrade to an Emotiva UMC-1, which I'm very seriously considering.

Used on eBay they sell for $375-450.

Accessories4less.com has an eBay store and they have them factory refurbished for $499.99 + shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-SR7001-110w-x-7ch-THX-HDMI-HD-Ipod-2nd-Zone_W0QQitemZ370326356830QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item56392bc35e

Here's a couple more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-SR7001-HDMI-THX-7-1-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ400099473285QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item5d27c97785

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-SR-7001-7-1-channel-Receiver_W0QQitemZ220546539975QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item33599921c7

I believe they originally retailed at $1399.

The only way I'd sell my Marantz is to upgrade to an Emotiva UMC-1, which I'm very seriously considering.

Ok, I will take one for a test drive... just bought one on EBAY for $345, including shipping. Seemed like the right price and a good chance for me to get a replacement for my older model Denon. Thanks for the info, I will let you know what I think in a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I will take one for a test drive... just bought one on EBAY for $345, including shipping. Seemed like the right price and a good chance for me to get a replacement for my older model Denon. Thanks for the info, I will let you know what I think in a week or so.

Ok, I have had my Marantz for a couple of days now. I have to say that I am very disappointed... no, not necessarily disappointed with Marantz, just this particular receiver. I have identified two problems: one the HDMI in for the TV doesn't relay the signal to the HDMI out and second, I hear a static like pop every so often through my speakers during movies or television. I can't remember if it does it during a blu ray, I might need to take a closer look at that. Otherwise, I am very pleased with the sound from the Marantz. It seems to utilize every speaker and fill the room with sounds that I never heard from the early model Denon. It seems fuller and crisper but I haven't really had that much of a chance to play with it. I will play with it more this weekend but I am planning to return it because of the less than excellent condition in which I received it. But, I do like the sound and will plan to buy another.

Mark this year the Pioneer 1019 stands out in front with its sound quality at the price point. Not to mention its apple certified..Comes with ipod dock, has great up conversion and abselutly sounds better than anything else this year in this price range.

The forum members are giving great advice but some are a bit bias to there previous ownerships. Beleive me the market at this time..The pioneer 1019 is the best buy @ 500

- Monty