Do you have a plasma, and how old is it?

iTide

I am doing my research on Plasma and LCD tvs. I am leaning toward a Panasonic Plasma for the basement and an LCD for the bedroom. That way I can give them both a try. I would love to hear from people that have had a plasma for a few years and see how you feel about it. Do you still feel it is as bright as new? Who has the oldest? Just curious what you all have. Thanks

We've had our Panasonic Plasma since February 2003 but only use it for DVD movies. I haven't noticed any loss of brightness, but even if there was a loss of brightness I couldn't have noticed it as it must of gradually happened. However, I haven't changed any settings and it seems just as bright as it was new.

I bought my 42" Toshiba Plasma about 4 years ago. It has been the perfect TV, never had a lick of trouble with it and still has a very bright, clear picture with great color. For the life of me, I don't understand why Toshiba exited the plasma television market! If they had one out there now it would be one of my first options!

I, apparently, am a plasma man. I recently bought an LED LCD and will be returning it this weekend for a plasma. It has a wonderful 1080P picture and all the picture adjustments I could possibly want to tweak a great picture. But, you get HDTV on it or football games (except the NFC game on Fox last night looked relatively good) and I completely lose the detail I have been used to seeing over the past 4 years! Add the limited viewing angles and it is simply not workable for me. So, I am going back to look for a 50" plasma. I know what I am gettign with a plasma and I know I like it!

Let me run this by you all. Have any of you ever noticed any burn in with your plasmas? I know it is not a huge issue anymore but just wondering if you have ever had any worries with your older models. I am not a gamer but if I happened to get a system someday should I be worried about burn in after playing a couple of hours. I don't expect to ever get one but just incase.

42" Samsung Plasma for the last 4.5 years.

No problems, no fade, no burn in.

Only used for no more than an hour or two a day (or less.)

I think i am going to get a 46 or 50" plasma to replace a 32" Sharp LCD next.

The Sharp has given me no problems for the last 5 years but there has been a little fade...

The Sharp has been in use for 6 hours a day, most every day.

I think I might expect the plasma to have a harder time with 6 hours a day...

Noah

Two years ago I bought my first plasma, a 50 inch panasonic model th-50pz700u for my living room. I was so happy with it that a year later I bought a newer model 47 inch panasonic plasma for our bedroom. The living room set gets used anywhere from 3 to 8 hours daily. The bedroom plasma maybe 10 hours a week. Both continue to have bright, clear pictures.....especially for sports! I use a blu-ray player with the living room set and it is awesome! About the only thing I do not like about the plasma sets is the power they consume.......my 50 inch eats up over 600 watts when on. It does get warm.....but the picture remains clean and sharp. Also, the panasonics have a optical digital audio output that make connecting to my yamaha AV rcvr easy and cuts down on cable clutter.

from my understanding the plasma industry is going out of production this year or next year. Because of the energy consumption they will discontinue them all together. '''maybe thats why you start to see companies going out of that industry. Im not sure... this is what the salesman told me when i went in looking for tvs recently. I also notice a very very limited selection of plasmas..I was very hesatant after he told me that.. I have the LCD now

Yes, I have heard that from a source or two, but I am not sure. I was watching a show on the 2010 CES and the reporter said that for 2010 that all tvs came in under some new electricity usage guideline. You will have to forgive me, I don't remember what it was called exactly but they made a big deal about the plasmas being so energy efficient for the coming year. Makes me think they may be getting it under control.

• Like 1

I bought a sammy plasma for christmas and love it. As a new set, it does have a tendancy for IR, but that typically goes away with just a few minutes of full screen watching, scrolling bars, etc. It should trail off dramatically as more hours on the set are logged. Only annoyance is a buzzing issue, which has been beaten to death by over zealous perfectionists at avsforum ..there's pretty much a solid chance that any replacement I get will have the same problem, and the PQ is just too awesome to consider a different make/model (with probably their own issues). It's only really noticeable when there isn't any sound, i.e. loading a disk.

there are times when i love the crispness and look of an LCD/LED LCD/etc but for movie watching you just can't beat a plasma. I don't watch much sports, but I can't wait to bust this thing out for my superbowl party :)

About plasmas going away anytime soon... I really don't see it.

Panasonic is about to launch an entirely new line of plasmas (G2's). They are using Pioneer's Kuro technology that they bought when Pioneer decided to stop making plasmas. Plus, Panny is using a new technology in most of their new models that makes them substantially more energy effecient (NeoPDP).

Word of warning... The G2's are going to be pricey! However, if their pictures rival the old Kuro's... It just might be worth it!!!

My $.02

About plasmas going away anytime soon... I really don't see it.

Panasonic is about to launch an entirely new line of plasmas (G2's). They are using Pioneer's Kuro technology that they bought when Pioneer decided to stop making plasmas. Plus, Panny is using a new technology in most of their new models that makes them substantially more energy effecient (NeoPDP).

Word of warning... The G2's are going to be pricey! However, if their pictures rival the old Kuro's... It just might be worth it!!!

My $.02

I agree, plasma displays are not going away any time soon. It is a shame that so many false rumors seem to get started by salesmen who are just trying to make a sale.

As for me I have owned my plasma a Panasonic TH-50PH9UK for exactly three years this month. I still have 2 years left on my free 5 year warranty Panasonic was offering as a special promotion at the time. My display is still just like new in every way, it still has one of the very best pictures of any I have seen. I could not be any happier with my choice and I am very glad I bought this display.

Thanks guys for all of the feedback to my question. To add another aspect to this thread, what do you all know about the SquareTrade extended warranty program. I know, there are many that believe the extended warranties are a complete waste of money. I too believe they are and that I will probably never need one. However, the SquareTrade warranty seems to be reasonable at less than 100 for the model I am looking at. At that price I am thinking I might sleep a little better at night knowing I am covered if something happens.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all of the feedback to my question. To add another aspect to this thread, what do you all know about the SquareTrade extended warranty program. I know, there are many that believe the extended warranties are a complete waste of money. I too believe they are and that I will probably never need one. However, the SquareTrade warranty seems to be reasonable at less than 100 for the model I am looking at. At that price I am thinking I might sleep a little better at night knowing I am covered if something happens.

Can't help you there. I'm a firm believer that broken components are divine intervention when an upgrade is needed.