Do you have a plasma, and how old is it?

iTide

I don't watch much sports, but I can't wait to bust this thing out for my superbowl party :)

PARTY AT MICHAELS!!!!!!

I'll bring the chips, who's bringing the beer?

I'd offer, but there wouldn't be anything left by the time I got there BeerStick out tongue

just going to be a bunch of young hip 20 somethings, but you guys are welcome to come over with your bag-o-chairs, some beer, and a snack for all to consume. i'm filling the grill with dogs, brats, burgers and all the accoutrements to go along with it. gonna buy some of that crappy outdoor grass carpet, clear the living room and have a proper indoor tailgater .. shoot me a pm if you want to come and i'll send the address.

- michael

Thanks guys for all of the feedback to my question. To add another aspect to this thread, what do you all know about the SquareTrade extended warranty program. I know, there are many that believe the extended warranties are a complete waste of money. I too believe they are and that I will probably never need one. However, the SquareTrade warranty seems to be reasonable at less than 100 for the model I am looking at. At that price I am thinking I might sleep a little better at night knowing I am covered if something happens.

Personally I don't buy extended warranties. Shop right for good products and you should be fine, most problems occur before the original warranty expires or after an extended warranty ends.

If you buy a quality plasma, I would highly recommend a Panasonic, then it would be a 98% chance that you wasted $100.00 spending it on an extended warranty.

Pioneer 50" from 2004. Hard to believe it's 5+ years old already. Works perfectly. Cost $4000+ back then. No noticeable dimunition in brightness, no burn-in. This is an obsolescent set,1080i (not p) and with a rather awkward outboard control center that adds a bit of hookup complexity. But it does a superb job on standard DVD's and a very good one on Blu-Ray. Flesh tones,especially of the feminine persuasion, are especially sweet. I wonder whether 1080p would really be a significant improvement. IMHO plasma beats LCD hands down. LCD still is grappling with refresh times, off-angle dimming and various compensating measures such as vario-LED backlighting. While plasma just cruises along...

Thanks guys for all of the feedback to my question. To add another aspect to this thread, what do you all know about the SquareTrade extended warranty program. I know, there are many that believe the extended warranties are a complete waste of money. I too believe they are and that I will probably never need one. However, the SquareTrade warranty seems to be reasonable at less than 100 for the model I am looking at. At that price I am thinking I might sleep a little better at night knowing I am covered if something happens.

That warranty is a 3yr? about 10 cents a day maybe? I'd get it.No,I generally don't buy a warranty,cause they are too much $ and the math don't work.I'd have to say though I'd always buy one if they were cheap.I had a high dollar car radio,it broke 4 years,eight months into a 5 year warranty($20),I got a brand new nicer radio.I bought a 1k dvd audio player (warranty $30),3 years later it broke,they had to get special parts from Japan and cost more for parts than I paid for the player,I still have it 8 years later.So for a $2K tv a $480 warranty is out,but for pennies a day worth consideration.

On the plasma vs everything else,I think it's all in the eye of the beholder.I have both,I prefer a good lcd in my brighter room,little reflection unlike plasma which is like a mirror,especially with lighting.Plasma has a very nice picture under the right conditions,and the Panasonics are the better of them,imo.Search Samsung,LG plasma and you'll see plenty issues.I had a LG go sparkles,green,red blue at different times,I have an older LG that works fine.Search any model you consider for issues,regardless of type.

It appears that the Samsung 50" Plasma is my preferred television. I looked at the Panny S1 and G10 but they had a green tint to their screens. Now, I will admit I didn't necessarily see that come through on any of the shows I was watching but the Samsung beside them appeard to have a slightly better picture and did not have the green tint. I think I was looking at the Samsung 50B850 but it could have been the 50B860. Will look to have it delivered next week.

I looked at the Panny S1 and G10 but they had a green tint to their screens. Now, I will admit I didn't necessarily see that come through on any of the shows I was watching but the Samsung beside them appeard to have a slightly better picture and did not have the green tint.

Anytime you compare displays in a store you need to remember that no 2 sets are calibrated the same, or even calibrated at all. People frequently play with those settings when looking at the sets.

• Moderators

You guys are lucky. We bought our plasma (42", I believe) in 2005 and it died in 2008. I want to say Panasonic, but I'll have to look again - I could be wrong. Screen turned to tinted snow with a vague outline of the TV program. No recourse, no extended warranty. It's still sitting in the corner of the dining room, contemplating being fixed. Bought a larger Samsung LCD to replace it, mostly because it was SO MUCH LIGHTER and easier to mount back on the wall. That plasma was a beast. Expensive in it's day, too. The LCD picture isn't quite as pretty, and external speakers are a MUST, but I've liked it well enough.

I went tonight and checked them all out at the local store again. I have looked and looked and compared. I just love the look of the Plasmas in the store. May be crazy but I believe it is less tiring on my eyes. I am looking at the panasonic s1 series but that super thin Samsung is so nice. I believe it is the 860 or something like that. Thanks again for all of the replies.

• Like 1

Just wanted to chime in here...

Ive had my 50" Panny 50px5ou plasma about 5 years now... I paid an arm and a leg for it, (5k) !

It has certainly not been "babied" at all.. plenty of video games, left on all day.... used on a daily basis since day 1. Survived 2 moves (one trip from Florida to Maine in a moving truck)... And Im looking over at it right now and it still takes my breath away! I LOVE it.

I really always wanted a 60+" tv, but because of the cost I bought the 50". I still long for a bigger screen but I love this one.

I will say I have noticed some "ghosting" once and a while. (not permanent burn in) If something was left on for a while I have noticed the ghost image after, but it always went away by the next day... Most people probably wouldnt even notice though, I can be anal about those things sometimes.

My settings havent changed since day1 (actually about day 5 due to 5 days of fiddling with it)

I dont think its lost any of its brightness... still looks perfect to me.

I would not buy an LED tv.... IMHO plasmas are still the superior display (but lest not turn this into a comparison war)

If it broke tomorrow I would not hesitate to buy another plasma again. But I would only buy a Panasonic.. the new ones look nice....

I went tonight and checked them all out at the local store again. I have looked and looked and compared. I just love the look of the Plasmas in the store. May be crazy but I believe it is less tiring on my eyes. I am looking at the panasonic s1 series but that super thin Samsung is so nice. I believe it is the 860 or something like that. Thanks again for all of the replies.

Go to a store that carries the Panasonic v series. the pic is amazing and the display itself looks so cool with the solid piece of glass and no bezel.Ive yet to find one thing I dont like about it.check it out

I will do some searching and see if I can't find the V series. I don't believe anyone in my area would carry that series but I have a trip to Atlanta planed in the next couple of weeks and I am sure I can find it there. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

50" Panny- top of the line back then- paid 3500 floor sample- retail 5k- it was the must have TV for about 2 years. Still freaking amazing. I would upgrade but i do not see the reason to do so. People look at it and see all of the monster Heritage speakers and stacks of amps and assume from the other components that it is the latest greatest model. Their jaw drops when I tell them that it is a 5 year old 720 plasma

I really dont see the difference- not because it is mine- I wil replace it when it dies

Note- I use the high dollar large blue Audioholics studio grade HDMI cables to connect it to the receiver- I think that they make a difference.I cringe when I see someone buy a new 3000.00 TV and use a 15.00 walmart POS HDMI cable to connect it.