Klipsch crossovers

Bacek

On 10/29/2010 at 10:22 PM, AJR said:

Hello,

I am new here, and I am the proud owner of the Heresy III. It sounds marvellous with my SE 300B amps. But I was thinking about to upgrade the crossover filter (I did that before with my Tangent EVO E45, and in there paper in oil caps and Allan Bradley resistors). But I can't find here the scheme of the crossover filter for the Heresy III??

I hope you can help me with that. Is there anybody who has tweaked the filter maybe with beautiful caps and resistors??

Regards,

AJR

Holland

Another item is the factory tweaks the crossover in the latest Heritage models without changing the specs or designations. There are two obvious crossovers for the La Scala II. Maybe more. The latest dropped a resistor. The values might be different also.

The delays in getting the AK-6 out is crossover design. They are very serious about getting it dialed in.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a pair of CF-2, probably v3's.  Here's what I was able to trace off the PC board.  Unfortunately, there are no values printed on the inductors (visible), and I don't have a way to easily find that value from testing the device.  Basic 3rd-order with resonance LCR compensation.  Also, not new to electronics, but very new to LTSpice, ignore the superfluous square of wiring in the bottom left, please. 

CF-2 xover.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2018 at 10:14 AM, astrodany said:

Hello! 

I'm looking for RF-7 II crossover schema.

I've found here the attached schema, but it doesn't match with the components that I've seen:

Tweeter: L1 = 1.5 mH, L2 = 0.65 mH, L3 = ??; R = 39 Ohm (x2); C = 5.6 uF, C2 = ??, C3 = ?? 

Woofers: L1 = 0.75 mH; C = 18 uF; R = 1 Ohm.

Anyone has the schema?

Regards, Danilo

rf-7 crossover copy.jpg

This is not the MKII version.

For R7II the values are:

Tweeter R = 3R9 and R39, if I would touch the xover again, I would tame the tweeter down a bit. I.e instead of 39 ohms use 30 ohms or even less, which would reduce tweeter by 0.5 dB

Tweeter caps are 5.6uF, 3.3uF and 3.65uF

Woofer cap is 30uF and R1.0 

Didnt touch the Ls

see my mod with Mills and Jantzen + bypass caps.

Changed internal wiring (OCC copper in teflon) and speaker posts (WBT) as well.

091BDAA4-6C43-430A-BC39-E1B9084C63E6.jpeg

F1DA4197-9DE3-4D8A-9B41-3DA36263BD27.jpeg

Edited by EMW

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm in Australia and this is my first post here. I have a question about my 1985 Heresy "1.5" E-2 crossover network. I'm looking at replacing the caps. The black square ones are 2uF 250VAC. Do I really need to replace these with a VAC or will a VDC do? The Electrolytic 33uF 100V NP isn't an issue as my local electronics store has those, but I'm stumped in regards to these black square ones that are designated VAC. Can anyone clarify this for me please? Many thanks.

IMG_3909.JPG

VAC or VDC is fine. To calculate voltage equivalency, you would divide the VAC rating by 1.4 to calculate an equivalent VDC, or multiply the VDC rating by .7 for an equivalent VAC. Crossover caps typically have lots of headroom where voltages are concerned, and if you go to from, say a 250 VAC cap to a 250 VDC cap, you've increased your voltage headroom.

7 hours ago, Blvdre said:

VAC or VDC is fine. To calculate voltage equivalency, you would divide the VAC rating by 1.4 to calculate an equivalent VDC, or multiply the VDC rating by .7 for an equivalent VAC. Crossover caps typically have lots of headroom where voltages are concerned, and if you go to from, say a 250 VAC cap to a 250 VDC cap, you've increased your voltage headroom.

Excellent info, many thanks Blvdr, much appreciated!

Cheers

Bruce

On 1/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, Blvdre said:

To calculate voltage equivalency, you would divide the VAC rating by 1.4 to calculate an equivalent VDC, or multiply the VDC rating by .7 for an equivalent VAC.

Haha!  Assuming you're looking at the peak-to-peak for AC vs. RMS.  A funny thing about what you actually said, though, is that you've gone the wrong way with "multiply the VDC rating by .7" :)   Should say either divide by .7 or multiply by 1.4.  All in fun, and all!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

RB 81-II Xover mods done.

Parts values:

W - C3  = 33uF

T - C1 = 7.5uF (5.6 +1.8 + 0.1 + 0.09);   C2 = 3.3uF;  R1 = 10R;  R2 = 4R (I used R3.9)

See attached pictures.

I'm happy with the results.

IMG_1482.jpgIMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

Next post you see mods

Edited by EMW
rearrange

RB 81-II Xover mods done.

Parts values:

W - C3  = 33uF

T - C1 = 7.5uF (5.6 +1.8 + 0.1 + 0.09);   C2 = 3.3uF;  R1 = 10R;  R2 = 4R (I used R3.9)

See attached pictures.

I'm happy with the results.

.IMG_1483.thumb.jpg.6e46485623472900d7d86bc7b0e9beb9.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All,

UPDATE:

Brain must not yet be engaged :(   Forgot to attach a schematic I found (iirc on audiokarma.org). I added the notes on the lower left from someone's comments...thus not sure what's valid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking to "refresh" the x-over caps in my KG 2.2s (I'm original owner). I was wondering if there was a "real" schematic out there for these spkrs (might also be for KG2.5s since they are somewhat similar...or maybe not).

I've come across a couple of schematics but some cap and res values are different (old saying: "A man with no watch never knows the time. A man with 2 is never sure."...I'm a man with 2 :)

Thanks in advance...cheers....

KG2.2 Crossover Schematic (maybe).pdf

Edited by stepher
added schematic

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, stepher said:

Hi All,

UPDATE:

Brain must not yet be engaged :(   Forgot to attach a schematic I found (iirc on audiokarma.org). I added the notes on the lower left from someone's comments...thus not sure what's valid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking to "refresh" the x-over caps in my KG 2.2s (I'm original owner). I was wondering if there was a "real" schematic out there for these spkrs (might also be for KG2.5s since they are somewhat similar...or maybe not).

I've come across a couple of schematics but some cap and res values are different (old saying: "A man with no watch never knows the time. A man with 2 is never sure."...I'm a man with 2 :)

Thanks in advance...cheers....

KG2.2 Crossover Schematic (maybe).pdf

The only way to be sure is to pull the xover and see for yourself, maybe @BECcould help.

13 hours ago, Alexander said:

The only way to be sure is to pull the xover and see for yourself, maybe @BECcould help.

@Alexander

I have yet to do that. However, the individual on audiokarma.org forum said he'd done that and a couple of the capacitors (iirc, the LP electrolytics) were unmarked (except for "Klipsch" stamped on them). I suppose I'll have to open one up and see if mine are different. Is @BEC on this forum very often?

Thx and cheers......

Also, for those who might be interested, I have pdf copies of the KSW-100/150/200 and SW12/15 subwoofer service manuals if anyone needs any of them. I got them directly from Klipsch.

Cheers.....

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, hachuelo said:

Hello fellow Klipschers. Does anybody has a crossover diagram of RF62II ?? Thanks in advance.

so far as I am aware the RF62 ll has the exact same xover as the RF62 the difference is in the wire used to hook up internally and the cosmetics like the feet. Perhaps someone who has owned both and compared the networks can confirm this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 10:13 PM, stepher said:

@Alexander

I have yet to do that. However, the individual on audiokarma.org forum said he'd done that and a couple of the capacitors (iirc, the LP electrolytics) were unmarked (except for "Klipsch" stamped on them). I suppose I'll have to open one up and see if mine are different. Is @BEC on this forum very often?

Thx and cheers......

Also, for those who might be interested, I have pdf copies of the KSW-100/150/200 and SW12/15 subwoofer service manuals if anyone needs any of them. I got them directly from Klipsch.

Cheers.....

Just wanted to follow up on my interest in getting tech info on my KG2.2 (or KG2.5, if that's what you have) speaker crossovers. For anyone else looking for this info, I actually found it in this forum in another thread (YaaaY!). Here's the link:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/146749-help-with-kg-25-crossovers/

For better or worse, now I'm a man with "more than 2 watches" :(  (See previous posting).....

Cheers.....

Edited by stepher