Klipsch crossovers

Bacek

@mustang_flht

@001

The mid and tweeter sections between CIII and H111 should be identical except for Resistors' values. We know that the 50 ohm Parallel Resistor in mid section in CIII is 20 Ohm in HIII. Makes sense it is lower since HII needs more series attention so parallel value is Lower than the CIII.

The Tweeter section, based on a past CANT's post, there is a series 3 ohm resistor which takes up the empty space marked R4 in the CIII network. But this does not make sense since we need L-Pad not just a series Resistor.

Surprised HII Xover has not been really addressed in this forum in spite of it being out of production for a few years now.

Do you think we could get Klipsch themselves to reveal the schematic in this forum?

Cheers

53 minutes ago, radiogram said:

@mustang_flht

@001

The mid and tweeter sections between CIII and H111 should be identical except for Resistors' values. We know that the 50 ohm Parallel Resistor in mid section in CIII is 20 Ohm in HIII. Makes sense it is lower since HII needs more series attention so parallel value is Lower than the CIII.

The Tweeter section, based on a past CANT's post, there is a series 3 ohm resistor which takes up the empty space marked R4 in the CIII network. But this does not make sense since we need L-Pad not just a series Resistor.

Surprised HII Xover has not been really addressed in this forum in spite of it being out of production for a few years now.

Do you think we could get Klipsch themselves to reveal the schematic in this forum?

Cheers

For Mid: I d'on't Know

For Tweeter section Yes like @CANT: a resistance of 3ohms no Lpad

Here is a picture of a network of HIII with R 3Ohms

NB: I had shown someone on the forum how to put an 8.2ohms resistor in parallel to make only 2.2Ohms, because the guy found their tweeter too weak!

1941258350_NetworkH3.jpg.b867154ab3ad09318d503f0942f6bae1.jpg

@mustang_flhtbut won't that change the freq response? I believed That between CIII and HIII mid and High section the only difference will be around 3dB more attenuation compared with the CIII as HIII is 3db lower than CIII.  But if you have HIII Tweeter circuit with just a 3 Ohm Series Resistor then the freq response is not going the the same as CIII unless you do a proper L-Pad. I am confused.

10 minutes ago, radiogram said:

@mustang_flhtbut won't that change the freq response? I believed That between CIII and HIII mid and High section the only difference will be around 3dB more attenuation compared with the CIII as HIII is 3db lower than CIII.  But if you have CIII Tweeter circuit with just a 3 Ohm Series Resistor then the freq response is not going the the same as CIII unless you do a proper L-Pad. I am confused.

The difference must be really minimal, but nothing prevents you from making an Lpad for tweeter of 8ohms and - 3dB

You can test both Lpad and R 3Ohms, and listening the difference!

Lpad for 8 ohms = R 2.3 Ohms serie and 19.4 //   (use realy 2.2 and 20)

http://www.mh-audio.nl/Calculators/att.html

Hello

I need help with these RF82-II crossovers.

Measurements for L2 and L1. Both coils look burned and plastic has melted somewhat.

Maybe someone has those measured in ohms or can help me out with replacements numbers

Thanks in advance

Miku from Estonia

Some interesting information on capacitors on this forum:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/capacitor-upgrade-in-crossover-is-it-audible.12287/

A few takesways I noticed--

1. Differences in the sound may be dominated by differences in actual capacitance values when "upgrading" capacitors

2. Effective series resistance of electrolytic capacitors is typically higher than film capacitors.

3. There are three parts to the review and it's worth looking at this if you are contemplating renovating your crossovers.

I did some other poking around the question of capacitor reliability. Whether "old" capacitors need replacing, if at all, should be significantly affected by the time they've spent at elevated temperatures. If your speakers have lived in the house at temperatures comfortable to you, the capacitors will probably last a long time. If they've been in long-term storage in a hot attic or garage or shed, then maybe they need renewal.

I'm old and my hearing hasn't improved with age. Still like my '72 Khorns and a new Elekit 8600S with Western Electric 300B tubes.

Peace be the journey.

A question -- did we ever learn what capacitor brand JEM/Klipsch use? Maybe the moderator deletes any postings with that information, yet we know what Crites uses. It would seem fair to know what JEM/K uses for comparison, and cost difference for upgrades.

Peace be the journey.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:02 AM, Little Dj said:

Hello

I need help with these RF82-II crossovers.

Measurements for L2 and L1. Both coils look burned and plastic has melted somewhat.

Maybe someone has those measured in ohms or can help me out with replacements numbers

Thanks in advance

Miku from Estonia

Hello, you may want to post a thread on the subject. Thread here intended for schematics.

Thanks and welcome...do a search of forum meanwhile, if you want to.

5 minutes ago, pnort said:

A question -- did we ever learn what capacitor brand JEM/Klipsch use? Maybe the moderator deletes any postings with that information, yet we know what Crites uses. It would seem fair to know what JEM/K uses for comparison, and cost difference for upgrades.

Peace be the journey.

Tecate Industries, think.

@mustang_flht, @Donkeyshins, @CANT, @ccwarrior

I have figured out the HIII mid and high section network. We already know from @CANTthere is a 20 Ohm resistor in HIII in place of the 50 Ohm resistor in CWIII. This is the mid section parallel resistor. With 20 ohm parallel, if I reverse calculate what should be the Series Resistance for 3 db lower, it comes to 51 ohms.

So for HIII schematic, take the CWIII network and for mid section - simply swap out the 50 Ohm resistor with 20 ohm and swap out the 30 ohm series resistor with 50 ohms, and for high section just add the inline 3 ohm series resistor.

It is possible bass section may be same because both the K33 and K28 are 4 ohm drivers. But I could be wrong here.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:18 PM, pnort said:

Peace be the journey.

they are marked "T.I." & some have confirmed what that brand is, but no further info is ever provided on jem caps quality or comparison to other popular brands like sonicaps or even the same type of polyester caps as jem/klipsch, so far all we get are ambiguous comments with no real data or explanation...  or the subjective opinions from a guy that has never tested or probably even owned the caps or other products he bashes. 

i agree & im sure many others do too, that some type of info on quality or comparisons of jem to other caps would be nice & probably even help the sales of their caps if they are as good as some say or their price suggests... 

• Like 1

Heresy III / CW III : 25 Watts Resistor really needed??

Having recently figured out the resistor values in mid and tweeter section for H III Xover, now I am going to convert my CW III Xover to H III Xover by substituting the resistors. These resistors are all spec'ed at 25 Watts. Where I live I can only get 10 Watt Daytons. So only option is to buy two 10 watts resistors of half value and use them in series (to get up to 20 watts) which I rather not do as physical layout will not be a simple swap of resistors.

Do I really need 25 Watts resistors for mid and highs? Can I get away with 10 Watts? 

Thanks