Klipsch crossovers

Bacek

4 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Keep your old brown capacitors in a drawer so you can go back 😉

Type D.JPG

that looks exactly like a type e crossover -- except the polarity of the mid-horn doesn't appear inverted like in a type e.

Thank you, great to hear you have seen these before. I will check for other holes in the board and update.  The soldering and all aspects of the currently installed capacitors looks quite neat. I do count 3 holes more or less vertically aligned to the left of the current capacitors and 4 holes to the right of the capacitors, 3 in a triangular orientation and 1 off the bottom right corner of the triangle per two pictures below. I don't know if these line up to the PIO mounts or not.

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 2:28 PM, Patrick D HiFi said:

Thank you, great to hear you have seen these before. I will check for other holes in the board and update.  The soldering and all aspects of the currently installed capacitors looks quite neat. I do count 3 holes more or less vertically aligned to the left of the current capacitors and 4 holes to the right of the capacitors, 3 in a triangular orientation and 1 off the bottom right corner of the triangle per two pictures below. I don't know if these line up to the PIO mounts or not.

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

Serious question... are the steel clamps a problem over the caps?

On 6/25/2022 at 10:12 AM, radiogram said:

Cornwall III Schematic

Cornwall-III-Xover.png

Are you sure it's Cornwall 3 not Heresy 3 (k28 seems to be 12'' woofer)? For now I have 3 different schematics and don't know which one is valid

• 3 weeks later...

Several months ago I replaced the ALK networks I had in my lascalas with the original AA networks and recapped the originals with the Klipsch approved JEM caps.  I can say this was a very good change for me and my lascalas sound like they used to again.  Hard to describe, but just right.  I recommend giving this a try if you want to have the original factory sound.

I liked the change so much that I just did the same thing to my cornwalls about a month ago.  I removed the ALK networks and installed the original Type B networks and recapped them with a JEM cap replacement kit.  It's not been very long but I could tell right away the balance was back and it's nice to know they are back to the original factory spec.

These were easy changes as well as the kits come with a schematic and all the mounting hardware.

This was a good idea for Klipsch to take the time to figure this out and offer these kits.

If you are not confident in making the changes yourself, look up DeanG.  He can do it for you.

In my case I have older speakers and the networks were fairly simple.  Not too many parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Several months ago I replaced the ALK networks I had in my lascalas with the original AA networks and recapped the originals with the Klipsch approved JEM caps.  I can say this was a very good change for me and my lascalas sound like they used to again.  Hard to describe, but just right.  I recommend giving this a try if you want to have the original factory sound.

I liked the change so much that I just did the same thing to my cornwalls about a month ago.  I removed the ALK networks and installed the original Type B networks and recapped them with a JEM cap replacement kit.  It's not been very long but I could tell right away the balance was back and it's nice to know they are back to the original factory spec.

These were easy changes as well as the kits come with a schematic and all the mounting hardware.

This was a good idea for Klipsch to take the time to figure this out and offer these kits.

If you are not confident in making the changes yourself, look up DeanG.  He can do it for you.

In my case I have older speakers and the networks were fairly simple.  Not too many parts.

Very nice that you confirm how sensible it is to use the right capacitors. You describe a point that in my view is the most important. "The balance was back“. From my point of view, this is exactly what is important when listening to and enjoying music. Everything else is downstream.

• 1 month later...

@net-davidThanks for your post. I have been looking for H III schematic for quite some time. I am currently using CW III network for my H III upgrade from H 1.5 and bi-amping to reduce Mid & Tweeter level by 3 dB. I hope you get to measure the inductors and post a complete schematic so that I can mode my CW III network to be exact H III one.

BTW, I thought the mid & high section will be identical (except for level matching resistor) between CW III & H III as they use same drivers and crossover points and I am surprised they are a bit different in terms of component values.

Thanks