Klipsch Southern Spring Gathering

CIGARBUM

lots of options are possible...sure is different from the days when they had stereo shops...

Evidenced by the pictures above, if you go to Bob's house you might get treated to a slow dance. A visit to my house might get you paired up with a leash or two and some of my dogs to walk in the field....

[:o] [;)]

I was really amazed by the Mac 250s- very warm and tube-like. Typical of the early Mac SS amps- love them

I bought the leftovers from Bobs k horn project. My horns sound almost identical to his. I have not closed my bass bins in yet- they sound a little different but I have really good corners and I cant decide to do it or not. We ran the two top sections side by side. I have slightly different JBL drivers- mine are 4420s. We could hear little or no difference in the top sections. The horns- crossovers and tweeters are the same. This 2 " wood horn mod is truly an OMG difference over the stock stuff. I highly reccomend it to anybody who is considering it.

Bob's korns and DBBS blew everybody away.

Well, Hell, if everybody had a good time lets do it again next year, God willing and the creek don't rise, same time, same station.

Because we change audio equipment like we change underware (if you wear any) don't know what I might have then.

CigarBum

It was awfull- I came home smelling of cigar smoke- My head was pounding from a mixture of adult beverages-Everybody knew more about the gear than I did-A bear chased me when I tried to take a leak in the bushes. Somebody poured moonshine down my throat while I was passed out on the couch. I have permanent hearing loss from a bunch of loud music. Does that sound like fun??????

Ok- JK- when is the next one-- Next week would be nice[:D]

Hoping for a report concerning ongoing projects

Hey - If it is held next year - I am coming, and I will be bringing some equipment with me - I want to seehow these 120 watt monoblocks I have stack up to those 250's and the VRD's...I am just curious. AND, I have been looking forthat damned whisky since I have ben there...I am on a quest apparently. I ahve been dissatisfied with my system for the last 3 weeks, and have had to find other things to do with my time - lest I dump it all and try to imitate Bob's system - thanks a lot gentlemen.

I know Terry asked me a question about the hum that I was hearing and told ya'll about, but I coudln;t find his post specifically so I will answer here - YES, I did get a cheater plug and try the system into two prong, by passing the ground - and sure enough I think it *was* quieter - the hum is still there, but no whre near as prominent. That really pisses me off, there must be a ground fault somewhere - I have been having a weird anamoly with my electric in this house - every now and then there will be a -blink- in the electricity, meaning that one circuit, one half of the house - the lights will go off, my clock on my night stand will reset and blink, etc. Funny thing is that my wife's clock on the other side of the bed, does not blink - AND it is not during a storm, and on the last 4 occasions, it was a sunny mid day, no other things (like TV's or stereos or air conditioners, etc. ) are on - and there is no apparent reason for the glitch. I can't explain it - but I need to find the source, and fast. Any suggestions?

Hope you guys in Hope are having a good time - I am missing being there in a big way.

Bruce

Bruce- gotta tell you- I totally enjoyed the back and forth conversations and analysis on the OT subjects- Guns and the state of present conditions. Also your analysis of Avitar. I left with a smile on my face after listening to you.

My comments as to your present system. You have the BB and the jolida I am not familiar with the 120 w monos to know itf they are the right component. VRDs are a no brainer if they fit into your plan. I know that a set of modded K horns with the 2" treatment would fix things or the double BBs. My system is a mirrior immage of the downstairs K horn system with the upstairs electronic components- top section built with Bobs leftovers.I also have cornwalls which please me when I pull them out from surround systems and play some old blues on the Peach/VRDs. I think I know where you want to go and a large pair of Hertiage speakers be it Jubs- Modded K horns- or some DBBs like Bobs is your ultimate fix. I have been down this road for the last 18 months and ended up finding that advice from the senior forum members was correct. My 2 cents worth. Best of luck in your quest. Look foward to seeing you next year.

Well thanks man, I usually talk too much - an occupational hazard - so feel free to just tell me to shut up; shoot I talked poor Richard's ear off all the way don and back, even the 120 miles out of the way we went when my GPS shot us up the Dragon, only for it to be closed due to the rockslide! I always enjoy the company and conversation of intelligent folks, don't have that opportunity near enough.

Everytime I have been to Richard's and heard those Jubilees - I have to control my urge to jump at any Klipschorns I see - knowng that I will never be satisfied with anything less than the Jubes...I have the space measured and set aside, and will have the same set up as Richard's one of these days...but a new kid on the way, career and lifestyle changes have set the time frame back a bit - but never fear. I have been hoping I can weedle Richard's jubes from him, still working on it - ;)>

I am satified with what I have here so far, but...there is always room for improvement - now I know - LOTS of room...

Bruce

• 10 years later...

post-13095-13819597816758_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of forum member Cigarbum (Bob Greene.......with forum member JWC..........from 10 years ago).  This thread was the start of some fine times..........us guys getting to know Bob and going to his house (for this party...........and many times after this party).  Bob took to audio and Klipsch quickly and in heavy doses.  He was very smart, an excellent craftsman, and an all around great guy.  He built some great two channel systems as well............and to this day the very best pair of Khorns I ever heard.  I learned some things from Bob. 

Unfortunately............tonight Bob's wife Teresia called to inform me of Bob's passing on June 6, 2020.  The last time I saw Bob was last summer and he was doing pretty well at that time.  He was diagnosed with liver cancer in January this year.  Very sad............

Bob...........we had some great times that I won't ever forget.  Thanks for it all.  It all ended too soon my friend.

• Sad 6

Sad news to hear.  We lost a true Klipsch fan and a friend.

If you didn't know Bob, I'll sum up to say he was intelligent and witty.  He certainly focused on doing the things that made him happy.  An example would be his love for sitting on his front porch and gazing over the Georgia mountains.  It was there, I got to hear past renditions of his life in places such as Vietnam and the Railroad industries.

I have yet to tell this sad news to my son who really took a liking to Bob.   My son has a love for the past and you could walk around Bob's house and ask lots of question of the historical items/ collectibles he has scattered about.  Each item had a great story.  He had a prized possession...."the Bell".

I wish I had met him sooner and I wish I my own life wasn't so dern busy that I could have made more trips to visit him.  My son asked for this time and time again.
I'm gonna find some photos and such to post here to share memories.

RIP Bob.  Teresia, thank's for your lovely hospitality.

jc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jwc said:

Sad news to hear.  We lost a true Klipsch fan and a friend.

If you didn't know Bob, I'll sum up to say he was intelligent and witty.  He certainly focused on doing the things that made him happy.  An example would be his love for sitting on his front porch and gazing over the Georgia mountains.  It was there, I got to hear past renditions of his life in places such as Vietnam and the Railroad industries.

I have yet to tell this sad news to my son who really took a liking to Bob.   My son has a love for the past and you could walk around Bob's house and ask lots of question of the historical items/ collectibles he has scattered about.  Each item had a great story.  He had a prized possession...."the Bell".

I wish I had met him sooner and I wish I my own life wasn't so dern busy that I could have made more trips to visit him.  My son asked for this time and time again.
I'm gonna find some photos and such to post here to share memories.

RIP Bob.  Teresia, thank's for your lovely hospitality.

jc

48 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Great times with a great guy. Here he is with my son giving gun safety lesson.

6954B845-160B-4E2C-9EE0-035B3C65B04F.jpeg

I had the pleasure to meet Bob and Teresa when I picked up his closed back Klipschorns both were very nice and even with his health issues he wanted to help with the loading of those very heavy speakers.He told me he was having trouble hearing and that is why he sold off all of his equipment, I still have a Yamaha PF-800 I bought from him and I play it everyday.Rest In Peace Bob and thoughts and prayers to Teresa 

• Like 1

I am terribly sorry to hear this, my condolences to his family and friends that knew him well. I remember Bob more so when I first joined the forum back in 09. I really enjoyed his posting.

His post of his systems always seemed intriguing and were inspiring.

Heres to Bob and his contributions to life.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bkwa1959 said:

I had the pleasure to meet Bob and Teresa when I picked up his closed back Klipschorns both were very nice and even with his health issues he wanted to help with the loading of those very heavy speakers.He told me he was having trouble hearing and that is why he sold off all of his equipment, I still have a Yamaha PF-800 I bought from him and I play it everyday.Rest In Peace Bob and thoughts and prayers to Teresa 

RIP

CIGARBUM

• Forum Veteran
  •  
  • CIGARBUM
  • Regulars
  • 700 posts

• Moderators

Sorry to hear this, really a nice guy and not shy to tell you what he thought about things which is the way to be. Wish I could have known him better. I love that picture, i remember he had put a few from his deck, cool looking view from his place. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A service for Bob is set for Saturday October 10 at 1PM at the historic Crescent Hill Baptist Church in Saute Nacoochee, Georgia near Bob's house and just outside Helen, Georgia.  Teresia waited until it seemed right due to the covid to share a celebration of Bob's life.

https://www.hrcga.org/church/crescent-hill-baptist/

My wife and I will be attending and spending the night in Helen................which is an entertaining little town near Bob's house in the mountains.  If anyone plans to attend please let me know and we can have a drink and some conversation in Helen.