Klipsch Southern Spring Gathering

CIGARBUM

Now I need to listen to some Jubilees....how much different do they sound than CB's KH bottoms??

You're welcome to swing to Knoxville and take a listen for yourself.

Although only in the conversation stage right now, someone is building a pair of Jamboree's and wants to compare them side by side with the Jubilee's. Yes, he might schlep them here from 4 hours away!!!

That got me thinking... and here is how the idea is forming right now.

Have a weekend event and anyone can come/go as they please. Have available outdoors in a large field:

LaScala with stock drivers (30 years old) and extreme slope crossover
JubeScala, above speaker with 400/77 bypassed and K402 on top with active crossover
MWM single with K402 (or LaScala if wanted) on top
MWM singles stacked into double with K402 on top
Jubilee with 402 (however these won't make it out to the field)
Jamboree bass bins with ??? on top

Make it a day or two of mixing/matching and playing as loud as desired in the field. Toss some burgers & dogs on the grill kinda thing.

IB. The photos are great.

We ran curves of the upstairs system (dbbs) and the khorns downstairs.

The downstairs system (Basemant) has serious gains on the low end. I was enjoying this. I didn't save the curves but from about 400Hz and below...there was a good +5dB. The Crites tweeters were wide open. We uped the taps on the squawker which is a 2" tractrix Fc260 Horn with a JBL 2446 to catch up some to the bass. C39 MAC preamp and MC275 V. I've never heard more solid bass from a set of Khorns. The backs he put on there I'm sure have a lot to do with it. Again the room contributing to bass was there too. I played heavy metal very loud, very late Friday night and made an A$$ of myself. Nothing brittle about that system with metal.... IBSlammin has displayed some heart here by not showing all his photos. I guess I won't ever run for public office.

The dbb's upstairs had some mids like I've never heard. VRD's, Peach. 223 Tractrix 2" horn with the massive JBL 2482 (new phenolics). JBL 2404 tweeters. The bass was weird in this room. No consistent walls with an upper loft above. What I think this did do was really open up the soundstage though. The speakers were somewhat away from the walls. This system had the spooky 3d stuff going on. More seductive than the Khorn system downstairs. The mids were a tad hot. Please remember....different rooms...I'm not making some kind of a statement here.

Later....after I licked my wounds the following day...we hooked up a super merlin with Dewicked monoblocked MC250's to the dbb sytem. Oppo CD Player. Now to me...this represent one of the best cost effective systems out there. Very warm and punchy. Mids were not as pronounced with these though. More balanced sounding.

We also dragged out the Belles into the basement room , with Beyma tweeters, Trachorns with JBL 1" drivers (phenolics I believe). Heck...they weren't even up against a wall and they had great bass below 50Hz. That was the first time I had heard the Beymas........nice.

I got to taste some vintage scotch friday night and drank another fifth of scotch. Yea...that didn't feel good the next day. Good thing I ate all those sandwhiches and shrimp. I had to drink a 12 pack of beer just to carry on a decent conversation the next day. Once I was back to base....i hit the wiskey.

Heck...after all that...We loaded up some cornwalls in my expedition and dumped my man at the airport.

What a weekend. Pleasures of scotch, cigars, music, audio gear and "male bonding" of some sort.

Thanks again Bob.

jc

The downstairs system (Basemant) has serious gains on the low end. I was enjoying this. I didn't save the curves but from about 400Hz and below...there was a good +5dB. The Crites tweeters were wide open. We uped the taps on the squawker which is a 2" tractrix Fc260 Horn with a JBL 2446 to catch up some to the bass. C39 MAC preamp and MC275 V. I've never heard more solid bass from a set of Khorns. The backs he put on there I'm sure have a lot to do with it. Again the room contributing to bass was there too. I played heavy metal very loud, very late Friday night and made an A$$ of myself. Nothing brittle about that system with metal.... IBSlammin has displayed some heart here by not showing all his photos. I guess I won't ever run for public office.

The dbb's upstairs had some mids like I've never heard. VRD's, Peach. 223 Tractrix 2" horn with the massive JBL 2482 (new phenolics). JBL 2404 tweeters. The bass was weird in this room. No consistent walls with an upper loft above. What I think this did do was really open up the soundstage though. The speakers were somewhat away from the walls. This system had the spooky 3d stuff going on. More seductive than the Khorn system downstairs. The mids were a tad hot. Please remember....different rooms...I'm not making some kind of a statement here.

Later....after I licked my wounds the following day...we hooked up a super merlin with Dewicked monoblocked MC250's to the dbb sytem. Oppo CD Player. Now to me...this represent one of the best cost effective systems out there. Very warm and punchy. Mids were not as pronounced with these though. More balanced sounding.

We also dragged out the Belles into the basement room , with Beyma tweeters, Trachorns with JBL 1" drivers (phenolics I believe). Heck...they weren't even up against a wall and they had great bass below 50Hz. That was the first time I had heard the Beymas........nice.

I got to taste some vintage scotch friday night and drank another fifth of scotch. Yea...that didn't feel good the next day. Good thing I ate all those sandwhiches and shrimp. I had to drink a 12 pack of beer just to carry on a decent conversation the next day. Once I was back to base....i hit the wiskey.

Heck...after all that...We loaded up some cornwalls in my expedition and dumped my man at the airport.

What a weekend. Pleasures of scotch, cigars, music, audio gear and "male bonding" of some sort.

Thanks again Bob.

jc

Sounds like a blast. Every now and then you just have to blow out the cobwebs.

Those khorns look beautiful.

Thanks again Bob.

jc

James Wesley,

Nice post. (I don't have to do much text now)

Seti has turned me on to Picasa, I can reduce the file size of my pix and will post more (not all) of them soon.

Yes, it did get a bit twisted down stairs Fri night, but photo's will show that you were not alone.[:D] Reminded me of a '70's frat party. Sat AM, I asked one of the guys why he didn't join us down stairs. "Because I was afraid" was the answer. Bob hung in there with us and I would bet that his cheeks hurt the next day. Every time I looked at him he was LHAO at us. If nothing else, we provided some harmless entertainment that night.

Man, those Khorns at volume in that room............wow!

tc

If there ends up being any strange pictures of me from Friday night...........I was just checking out the sound in various places of the room at a high rate of speed............I wasn't drinking or dancing or anything like that. [8-)]

In fact it was all Bob's fault for playing those darn Khorns with all that bass. People with Khorns should talk to Bob about how he got them to sound that way. He somehow changed them from "engulfing" to "forward projecting" Like lasclas and Jubs. Best Khorn bass bins I ever heard.

FIrst of all that is not a strange picture. That is actually a pretty good one. But obviously I was trying to feed Terry a sandwich while he smoked. Then I was going to hand him that beer to wash it down.............and look who appears to be holding who up? Did Bob let people smoke in the house? I don't recall.

FIrst of all that is not a strange picture. That is actually a pretty good one. But obviously I was trying to feed Terry a sandwich while he smoked. Then I was going to hand him that beer to wash it down.............and look who appears to be holding who up? Did Bob let people smoke in the house? I don't recall.

It was out. I wouldn't smoke indoors.

.........and look who appears to be holding who up.......

No. I think that was shot just after a slow dance.[:#]

NO one can claim you guys don't know how to have a good time, sounds like some of that would hurt the next morning. Party!!!

Elden,

We were greeted Sat. morning with strong coffee and Richards wonderful coffee cake. (the boy can bake for sure) Shortly there after, I mixed a few Bloody Mary's for Winchester and myself. Beer in the afternoon and [D] that night. No pain was felt.

In my youth, I thought that the mark of a man was a guy that could get out there and really punish himself. Now at my advanced age............There is a price to pay. Got home late Sun afternoon and slept till 11:30 Mon. Had a nap on Tues.

But I continue to pattern myself after your Forum signature.[Y] Like you, I don't want to leave anything on the table when my time on earth is over.[:)]

tc

Now I need to listen to some Jubilees....how much different do they sound than CB's KH bottoms??

You're welcome to swing to Knoxville and take a listen for yourself.

Although only in the conversation stage right now, someone is building a pair of Jamboree's and wants to compare them side by side with the Jubilee's. Yes, he might schlep them here from 4 hours away!!!

That got me thinking... and here is how the idea is forming right now.

Have a weekend event and anyone can come/go as they please. Have available outdoors in a large field:

LaScala with stock drivers (30 years old) and extreme slope crossover
JubeScala, above speaker with 400/77 bypassed and K402 on top with active crossover
MWM single with K402 (or LaScala if wanted) on top
MWM singles stacked into double with K402 on top
Jubilee with 402 (however these won't make it out to the field)
Jamboree bass bins with ??? on top

Make it a day or two of mixing/matching and playing as loud as desired in the field. Toss some burgers & dogs on the grill kinda thing.

Sounds like an interesting idea...

I'm thinking I may not need to A/B CB's closed-back K-Horn bottoms and the Jubilee bass bins...because I may have already heard the best way up in the North-East corner of Georgia...but an invitation to swing by for a visit is imminently appealing. One of our ER Attending physicians is thinking about taking the plunge and it might be nice to plan a road-trip for the two of us....lots of options are possible...sure is different from the days when they had stereo shops...