Kind of Blue Legacy CD 2009 remaster

Richard Guba

I just got the Columbia Legacy CD of Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I think this is the same CD that came with the 50th anniversary box set that retailed for about one hundred bucks. I got my CD for less than $15 new at Borders.

I also have the 1997 version of the Kind of Blue cd and the difference is huge. I believe that those who think that all CDs sound bad should check this new CD out. CDs (standard redbook) can really sound good, but the issue is in the mastering. I have some outstanding JVC (redbook) XRCD also. LPs can also sound good or bad, the mastering for the format is critical.

To my ears the 2009 Kind of Blue has great balance. I can hear the bass, piano and horns. The 1997 version was too hot with horns blasting way too loud (my opinion). You can actually hear tape hiss on the 2009 version which to me is a good thing. The 1997 version was too digitally clean. As much as I like my old LPs, when I am caught up in life's details I enjoy the ease of putting on a CD and getting on with the work at hand. This new Kind Of Blue sounds to my old ears as good as most of my LPs.

With the 1997 version I could not understand what ever was all of the praise and acclaim that this Miles Davis recording received. With the 2009 version I get it. I have also read that the 200g Classic records LP is very good and I may get that some day, but for now this is a huge step forward.

Nothing has ever been better than the original mono UK press to my ears and I will always reget selling it, even though I got a decent buck.

Mind you, haven't had the pleasure of hearing the original U.S., yet.

The pitch corrected version may be as it was originaly intended, but will never be to these ears, even after my short life of listening to the standard.