What Do I got Here...???

oldenough

If for any reason you find these "furnitures" taken up too much of your precious real estate and want to get rid of them, just holler and I will bring my truck over and haul them away in a flash. Big Smile

LOL...Yeah you get first dibs, just don't expect me to meet you half way....[;)]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm trying to resist the urge to fire this thing up and give it a listen....what do you think?? Iv'e given the innards a quick look over everything is nice and clean and shiny with no signs of any leakage or burning, should I rev it up slowly on the variac?? The guy I got it from said that he had heard it working.Big Smile

Do you know when the last time it was used?

It would be best to get it to a tech. A variac is better then just power it straight up. Maybe Craig will comment on this.

Can you post picks of the underside?

Seti, the guy I bought it from said they had it running when he purchased it a few days ago, the only thing he didn't test was the Turntable. I did post a pic of the back of the amp, it's the only part I could readily access without pulling the whole thing apart.

What Turntable? I don't see no stinkin' turntable?

Wow, Oldenough, that looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dennie

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm trying to resist the urge to fire this thing up and give it a listen....what do you think?? Iv'e given the innards a quick look over everything is nice and clean and shiny with no signs of any leakage or burning, should I rev it up slowly on the variac?? The guy I got it from said that he had heard it working.Big Smile

Do you know when the last time it was used?

It would be best to get it to a tech. A variac is better then just power it straight up. Maybe Craig will comment on this.

Can you post picks of the underside?

Seti, the guy I bought it from said they had it running when he purchased it a few days ago, the only thing he didn't test was the Turntable. I did post a pic of the back of the amp, it's the only part I could readily access without pulling the whole thing apart.

What Turntable? I don't see no stinkin' turntable?

Wow, Oldenough, that looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dennie

Pic of the turntable....woulda been real nice if it had been a Garrard 301 or 401, but I ain't complainin'.

Well against my better judgement I ran it up on the variac...no sign of smoke...no burning smell, everything has lit up. Amp is quiet... no hums or nasty noises...just silence, thats gotta be good. Radio works Fm and Am, hey even the record player works, so I sacrificed an old Beatles single to the Mono Gods, this thing is awesome sounding. Just love that old green tuning tube on the radio dial.[:D]

Do you have someone Local to check out the Unit for You?..................

Unfortunately not Bill, but at the moment all seems fine. I actually bought it for the speaker the electronics were a bonus, now that I at least know they work they can sit idle until I feel the need to have them checked out. I just moved the speaker into a corner, what a difference in the bass. Hey I could get to like Mono again.

Wow Oldenough, that thing is beautiful! Thanks for the picture of the record player.

Is that a record "Changer"? [:o] Now I'm jealous! Do you have the longer spindle for it?

So, how does it sound?

Remember, I don't think you can play stereo records with a mono needle. You can play mono records with a stereo needle, but not visa versa.

Great Score!!

Dennie

Wow Oldenough, that thing is beautiful! Thanks for the picture of the record player.

Is that a record "Changer"? Surprise Now I'm jealous! Do you have the longer spindle for it?

So, how does it sound?

Remember, I don't think you can play stereo records with a mono needle. You can play mono records with a stereo needle, but not visa versa.

Great Score!!

Dennie

Yes it is a changer Dennie, but I haven't used it other than manually, it does have the spindles. It sounds pretty good actually. No I didn't play a stereo disc, I let it chew on an old beat-up mono Beatles disc.

Oldenough,

Mono? And it's makin' me drool. Who'd have thunk. That's a cool little system ya got there.

I'm sure Dennie's more up on the playing stereo LPs with mono stylus and vice versa but I thought thought you could play stereo with mono better than you could play mono with stereo... but my scrain is brobably prambled.

And dang if that tube amp doesn't look like you bought it new yesterday.

Nice score!

[H]

p.s. didn't Klipsch license EV to build some of their designs?

Oldenough,

Mono? And it's makin' me drool. Who'd have thunk. That's a cool little system ya got there.

I'm sure Dennie's more up on the playing stereo LPs with mono stylus and vice versa but I thought thought you could play stereo with mono better than you could play mono with stereo... but my scrain is brobably prambled.

And dang if that tube amp doesn't look like you bought it new yesterday.

Nice score!

Cool

p.s. didn't Klipsch license EV to build some of their designs?

Yup Mono, yes I did a little research and it seems Klipsch did license E-V in some of their speaker designs, not sure if this is one of them. Though the innards of the speaker and the design of the Bass Horn could point to that, maybe those more knowledgable will inform us. I have now set it up in our spare bedroom. I got permission from the wife, she thinks that it is beautiful and that it also sounded very nice. I spent the evening listening to Vinyl, Beatles, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven etc. What can I say? I could happily live with this as my only source of music...Honestly. The speaker is now tucked into it's own corner and that is certainly an improvement.

The "record player" actually sounds pretty good, but is in need of a clean and lube probably, I don't think I will trust any of my valued Vinyl on it (yet). The pre/amp has a couple of issues, but nothing that some De-oxit shouldn't fix. The sound is rich and detailed and it WILL play to realistic levels, it won't drive you out of the room but I'm sure it would get the neighbours complaining. I sat back in a comfy chair and soon didn't even notice I was listening in mono. I don't know that this would be called Hi-Fi, but you can sure call it "sheer pleasure"..[:D]

post-21054-13819539250162_thumb.jpg

post-21054-13819554697074_thumb.jpg

post-21054-13819567555198_thumb.jpg

Great score and beautiful pieces, just a bonus they work and sound good!

Congrats!

Thanks DB... Well I know we all like pictures so Iv'e pulled the amp out to give it a clean-up and check for leaks or ?. So I took the opportunity to take a pic to post

post-21054-1381953925969_thumb.jpg

post-21054-13819554707264_thumb.jpg

post-21054-13819567566668_thumb.jpg

Great Picture Oldenough! Hell, it looks like it could have been made yesterday! [Y]

I too think that is the Best $175 you've ever spent!! I bet it has a Sweet Warm Sound to it! Do you know what year it was made?

Thanks for the new pic,

Dennie

Great Picture Oldenough! Hell, it looks like it could have been made yesterday! Yes

I too think that is the Best $175 you've ever spent!! I bet it has a Sweet Warm Sound to it! Do you know what year it was made?

Thanks for the new pic,

Dennie

Dennie,the Gentleman bought it in 1956, he paid the princely sum of $1250, plus $525 for the TV that matched it. NO! I didn't get the tv..wish I had. The store I bought it from has just given me all the paper-work/manuals for it along with the price he paid.