modding Jolida CD

winchester21

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoops! For some reason I though you had 12AT7's in those Jolida, not 12AX7'.s. You are in luck, though , since I have a lot of Telefunken's, some Amperex, a batch of NOS Jan's, some Mullards and maybe a few 5751's.

Totally agree; I love the analogy. I also agree that tube preference, like most everything in audio is subjective to one's own ears.

thanks for the feedback, good reference on the 12AX7s, i have a Grado Sonata and was thinking of upgrading to the Reference...How do you like the Reference?

I really like the Reference. Having heard and owned several other Grados, the top end of the Reference sounds more extended and the midrange is sweeter. The move was worth it to me.

Carl.

A fun thread guys!

Pulled out my paperwork from HotRodAudio to see what their Level 1 mod offers.

"Jolida 100 CD Player"

"Replace one pair RCA outputs with Cardas GRFA S Thick, using 22 awg solid silver wiring, Install Starrdamp CS inside chassis and lid (vibration damping), Install Russian Electroharmonix x2 12AX7 vacuum tubes, upgrade power supply with Stealth Diodes. Install KTS IsoDamp discs for isolation."

Includes shipping. They further reccommend that the interconects be replaced and suggest VeraStarr Silver Reference silver over copper. The supplied power cord is an inexpensive piece that also should be replaced[;)]

Looks like a lot of these upgrades could be done on a stock unit for not a lot of money....but buying new for $940 shipped why bother?

"Remember that using the digital output on the Jolida you will bypass the tube ouput and not realize the full potential"

Now back to the tube talk....seems like I could do better than the EH 12AX7s.

Had to roll something so I pulled the new Tung sol out of the phono imput slot on the Quicksilver preamp and plugged in a Telefunken.....let it warm up for a couple hours....bien. The John Brown track on Dylan's Unplugged sounded might fine.

Now back to the tube talk....seems like I could do better than the EH 12AX7s.

Absolutely! Based on Gary's (Gartenman) recommendation, I removed the EH tubes in my Jolida 502P and installed four GE 6550s and Mullard 12at7s and 12ax7s. The amp is still stock but sounds mighty good after the tube swap.

Frank

Russian Electroharmonix x2 12AX7 vacuum tubes

i'm glad you like this thread as much as i do, its just great when people can share knowledge to make it easier for others just getting into the tube world...I know people like EH's but I just think that better can be found without breaking the bank...Telefunkens are a great tube! what do you have in the Jolida now? i may have something to hel, lemme know...

Gartenman, you have a email, I don't know where to start

cb

i answered your email, if you didn't get it let me know...if you don't want call then pls contact me and let me know what budget you have in mind. I would start with changing the 12AX7s and 12AU7s in the VRDs. If happy with that then we could then work on the Peach and the Jolida last. I made some emails so when you give me a budget hopefully I can provide you options by Tue. at the latest. I do not sell tubes, but can refer you to people who's character is beyond reproach...remember here i am not doing this to make a profit so if you think i am you should look elsewhere...

Whoops! For some reason I though you had 12AT7's in those Jolida, not 12AX7'.s. You are in luck, though , since I have a lot of Telefunken's, some Amperex, a batch of NOS Jan's, some Mullards and maybe a few 5751's.

Thebes have you ever heard the RCA 6201s, very nice 12AT7 at a great price...

Still have the original EH 12AX7s in the Jolida. Rolled the preamp phono section to a Telefunken from a Tung Sol today. Like that change.

Yes this is a great thread. You and Thebes have been a lot of help. Been thinking about Amperex Bugle Boys or Mullards for the Jolida CDP. Who has the best prices?

i was stationed at Ft Bragg for 10yrs in the Special Forces...loved Wilmington, great place...my suggestion would be to get some RCA 6201s (i don't know who turned him on to the idea [;)]

Here's what the guy at the Tube Shop says"

The lower gain really opens up the sound. A customer turned me on to this

and I loved the difference in sound.

thetubeshop.com/tubeshp3.htm

they are a very good tube for a great price,...the tubes are used but all test as new or close to it...the guy is very friendly and i am sure if you didn't like the RCAs he take them back in trade for some Amperex Bugle Boys or Mullards...i'd call and talk to him, great guy...have bought from him many times and his recommendations and quality/prices are awesome! this is not a solicitation, i get no kick back, just trying to help out my fellow man...

Good to hear you are doing well Frank!! How's the Scott 299 treating you?

Gary, it's a mighty fine amp. Running Telefunken 12ax7s as you suggested. I put in a Kimber Kable interconnect between the Jolida 100 and the Scott and it made a little difference. But, installing the Amperex Bugle Boys really made a difference. The amp is not one bit tiring and I find it difficult to turn it off. Once it has been on for about an hour, it really opens up. No need to adjust the bass or treble. CDs that I have heard hundreds of times are totally different and wonderful sounding. It reminds me of the sound I had years ago with tube amps but lost along the way with SS equipment. I have had lots of Klipsch speakers but the combination of the Jolida 100 player, the 299 (Craig worked wonders when he went over this amp) and the cornwalls is perfect for me. Thanks for asking and thanks for all of your help.

Frank

G-Man, Never got your email. Sorry for any confusion. I agree with your previous post that I need to start with a budget. This will be for the VRD and the Peach, let's say $500 to replace the tubes in the VRD (except the K-88's) and the tubes in the Peach. After reading all the posts, I never realized that there are so many varations in each type of tube, you can't just say get a 12AX7 Bugle Boy, there is a ton of then out there. It even get more confusing when you get in to the Mullards and Telefunkens, RCA and the list goes on forever.

I do appreciate the fact that a lot of you guys are trying to help an old fart like me that don't know poop. You specifically seem to know a ton about these silly little suppositories that make things sound better.

So, all that being said, I guess that Brent Jesse and The Tube Shop are good places to purchase, then given the budget number, I hope I am in the ball park, that you can suggest some specific tubes..

The VRD has; 5AR4 - Sovt, ECC 82 - JJ, ECC 83S - JJ

The Peach has; 6JD8 - Ei made in Yug., 12x4 - don't know.

Again, thanks to all who are trying to hepl me.

CB

G-Man, Never got your email. Sorry for any confusion. I agree with your previous post that I need to start with a budget. This will be for the VRD and the Peach, let's say $500 to replace the tubes in the VRD (except the K-88's) and the tubes in the Peach. After reading all the posts, I never realized that there are so many varations in each type of tube, you can't just say get a 12AX7 Bugle Boy, there is a ton of then out there. It even get more confusing when you get in to the Mullards and Telefunkens, RCA and the list goes on forever.

I do appreciate the fact that a lot of you guys are trying to help an old fart like me that don't know poop. You specifically seem to know a ton about these silly little suppositories that make things sound better.

So, all that being said, I guess that Brent Jesse and The Tube Shop are good places to purchase, then given the budget number, I hope I am in the ball park, that you can suggest some specific tubes..

The VRD has; 5AR4 - Sovt, ECC 82 - JJ, ECC 83S - JJ

The Peach has; 6JD8 - Ei made in Yug., 12x4 - don't know.

Again, thanks to all who are trying to hepl me.

CB

I think you are well within your budget, you won't need to change the 5AR4 or 12x4 as they are rectifier tubes and although they affect tone it is at a MUCH smaller scale and could always be done later. I have sent some emails and made some calls. I'm hoping to do this for less than your budget if my contacts can come thru.

That's good news, I just picked that number out of the air, hopefully it will be less. The second reason I want the tubes is for spares, just in case something blows up, so I would like to get some of the 5AR4 and the 12X4, just to have around.

I do appreciate tthe work and effort you are putting into this for me, I guess the budget number is the only piece that was missing. I didn't realize that the value of these is all over the place.

Thanks again.

CB

Holy cr--. I started this thread fishing for current opinions on modding my Jolida and this thread has evolved to provide great intel on the peach which I already own plus the VRDs which are at Craigs place for a final checkout/ possible mod. This a 3 drink thread to digest the information provided. Thanks to everyone for more info to add to my limited knowledge in this area[Y]