�District 9� is awesome science-fiction thriller

Colin

I have been meaning to recommend “District 9” since I saw
this awesome science-fiction thriller. I loved the costumes and plot. I
especially liked the shift from documentary to action, with the transformation
that occurs. I think it is one of the best sci-fi movies in a long time. The disparaging
look at the treatment of the aliens in the refugee camps is particularly
intelligent twist to the movie. Of course that treatment is the premise for why
the plot twist works.

“District 9” is certainly more original than “Avatar.”
Although the 3D effects are wonderful, ‘Avatar” is “Dances with Wolves” meets
“Star Wars.” While wildly successful, I doubt “Avatar” will influence film
schools like either of those two movies did. Nobody will be quoting “Avatar” in
five years.

Working mostly as a 3D animator, newcomer director Neil
Blomkamp worked with Peter Jackson before. The New
Zealand film director, producer, actor, and screenwriter,
best known for The Lord of the Rings trilogy adapted from the novel by J. R. R.
Tolkien, is the producer of the critically acclaimed film.

The movie was nominated for four Academy Awards in 2010:
Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Visual Effects and Best Editing.
While Best Picture seems to be a long shot, compared with Avatar, I suspect it
will do well at the awards. One can only hope for a sequel as the aliens fire
up their ship and …

• 2 weeks later...

I liked certain parts and did not like others.

I liked the story except my main problem I list below. Great special effects(which is pretty typical nowdays)

The main problem I had with it was the main charcter was a idiot and would not be in charge of anything except a desk, in a office, in the basement and probably not even that. I don't care if his wife was the daughter of someone high up in the company. They just played him too dumb for me to accept him in the role he played.

I think also I heard too much about the movie and it could not live up to the hype I heard.

he is meant to look incompetent

When I watch a movie I always understand that it's a movie so it may have issues with the plot, writting, directing, acting, etc and give the movie some leeway and don't worry about it.

But sometimes a movie goes too far in wanting me to ignore obvious(to me at least) flaws in the script or other parts.

I think he was based on Giligan who would always get into the Professor's experiments. [:D]

• 2 months later...

I liked certain parts and did not like others.

I liked the story except my main problem I list below. Great special effects(which is pretty typical nowdays)

The main problem I had with it was the main charcter was a idiot and would not be in charge of anything except a desk, in a office, in the basement and probably not even that. I don't care if his wife was the daughter of someone high up in the company. They just played him too dumb for me to accept him in the role he played.

I think also I heard too much about the movie and it could not live up to the hype I heard.

I've worked for large state bureaucracy. There are people that incompetent and dumb in positions of authority. I've seen friends or family members put in positions well above them. It sucks. The main character in the movie was refreshing to me because he wasn't a typical hollywood hero.

Distric 9 was a nice change of pace. Very cool movie. Good sci-fi is few and far between. Can't wait for District 10.

district 10? great idea!

Well the ending certainly left it wide open for a sequal so I'm sure we'll see something along those lines within the next few years. I liked the movie, pretty decent. The fact that it was in South Africa and the issue of apartheid being the underlying theme made it a bit more interesting IMO as well. I wish they would have delved a bit more into why the aliens were there, i.e., why the leaders died off and left the drones behind.

Maybe I should have gave it longer. I watched about 30 min had take it out.

After 30 minutes I decided this could be the worst scifi movie I've ever seen 30 minutes of.I understand we all have different taste so no offense.

Zaskarx and All, This movie grabbed me right away. It reminded me of Independence Day with the huge ship and then turned everything on its ear with the ghetto. I think the protaganist was a believable bureaucrat naively following pure BS. I think its a good metaphor for a lot of what's wrong with us.

There are so many movies I get bored with and this one got a little tedious at times but not much for me.

A good story usually shows growth in the character and I think this one did yet I get it that this movie wouldn't work for some as previously posted. Nic

BTW, "District 9" is a much better movie than Best Picture award winner "Hurt Locker"

Yes District 9 and Avatar were better but they seldom give best picture to a sci-fi movie. The awards are a crock. I never see a movie just because of nomination or a win.

Have to say this was a great movie and I hope there are sequel/prequels.

I think the way it ended, there will definitely be a sequel. Plus they were moving the aliens to another spot so District 10 would make sense. Maybe they can explain why the leaders all died and the drones were left on their own and why the ship is stuck over Johanesberg (sic), etc...

While sometimes the swashbuckling high-action space adventure genre can work (e.g., Star Wars, etc.), the sci-fi genre that I like is when the author projects what would logically happen, for example, if aliens came to earth (as in D9), or we discovered them somewhere, meaning how society would react or change. A good example is Contact. A bad example is Independence Day. Also, a good story will logically project what society, technology, etc. would look like x number of years in the future, based on current patterns. Minority Report is a good example (despite the presence of nutjob Cruise). A clever scene is when he enters the Gap; lasers scan everyone's retinas, then highly localized, individualized audio greetings are piped in: "Welcome back Mr. Cruise. Are you satisfied with the sweater you purchased on March 22? Also clever are the "sick sticks," or nonlethal police weapons which render perps helpless because they are vomiting. Another good one like that is the Fifth Element. Just because it is in the future does not mean we will be wearing silver jumpsuits and flying on jetpacks.

While sometimes the swashbuckling high-action space adventure genre can work (e.g., Star Wars, etc.), the sci-fi genre that I like is when the author projects what would logically happen, for example, if aliens came to earth (as in D9), or we discovered them somewhere, meaning how society would react or change. A good example is Contact. A bad example is Independence Day. Also, a good story will logically project what society, technology, etc. would look like x number of years in the future, based on current patterns. Minority Report is a good example (despite the presence of nutjob Cruise). A clever scene is when he enters the Gap; lasers scan everyone's retinas, then highly localized, individualized audio greetings are piped in: "Welcome back Mr. Cruise. Are you satisfied with the sweater you purchased on March 22? Also clever are the "sick sticks," or nonlethal police weapons which render perps helpless because they are vomiting. Another good one like that is the Fifth Element. Just because it is in the future does not mean we will be wearing silver jumpsuits and flying on jetpacks.

Fifth Element is a great fun flick. The look of that movie is amazing. The soundtrack is also good.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I should have gave it longer. I watched about 30 min had take it out.

After 30 minutes I decided this could be the worst scifi movie I've ever seen 30 minutes of.I understand we all have different taste so no offense.

LOL.. Why do you think I included it with the PS3.. Sorry Bill[:D]