Anybody Playing with T or D amps?

russ69

Hey Russ,

I don't know if you saw this thread that I started last week, as you will notice I have not had any responses via the thread

but I did get a couple PMs and several opinions via other venues.

After reading a few mainstream reviews along with as many board reviews that I could find, I decided to try one of the

W4S amps... ST-500

I am currently using a JM Peach II with a pair of Wright Mono4s (2A3 SET) and was looking to add a higher output amp

to swap in and out once in a while with my KHorns.

I am pretty happy with the JM/Wright sound but wanted to have the option of switching in a different flavor from time to time.

So far I have preferred all the tube amps that I have tried over any of the few SS amps that I have tried.

The ST-500 has an ETA of next Monday, I will be sure to post my observations here after I have given it ample break in time.

They are fun. I've been using them for awhile now. The best sounding ones that I have found on the top end are also the lowest powered - and most basic. Some of the little T amps are the smoothest solid state on the top end that I have ever heard.

If you want a treat, pick up a very inexpensive t amp (parts express still sells a dayton version for about 50 bucks) and hook up the amp directly to a source (CDP, ipod) and then to the speakers. At only about 10 watts, it won't crank to high spls, but the combo sounds pretty amazing for up to medium volumes. So much so that I have three of these little setups around the house (outside, garage, and bedroom). If you are going to use a little T amp to run full-range speakers, the amps sound better run directly without preamps - directly from a source.

The smaller T amps also make great "horn" amps on the top end. If you actively bi (or tri) amp, and if you only ask them to run one horn per side (or one horn plus a tweeter), they have more than enough power to go as loud as you want. My main setup downstairs is a 7.1 setup with active biamping up front and active triamping in the rear (VOTTs/Khorns up front and quasi-Belles in the rear). Up front for my Altec 902s, I use a Trends "T" amp the size of a matchbox, and in the rear for my two-inch mid drivers and tweeters, I use a Sonic Impact Super T amp. Both amps have their own stand alone power supplies (I chose Kingrex's PSU), the effect of which is to make the little amps sound even wetter and round off what little edges were left.

I have some nice tube amps in my setup and around the house and still enjoy my tube amps. But, for portable setups (and for portions of my main setup), I really love the little t amps. They are great so long as you do not ask them to do too much.

Carl.

I don't know if you saw this thread that I started last week

I did but I couldn't really offer any input. W4S are very popular for Magnepan (my other interest group) and are in common usage over there. I have no experience with these on high efficiency speakers. Give us a full report after they are burned in.

Thanx, Russ

I use one an older sonic impact amp that I use the battery power and hook it up to a small pair of B&O bookshelf speakers that I bought a at a garage sale using my Ipod as the source. Put the set up on my back patio and it sounds about 1000% better than most of my friends sound systems.

When I bought my La Scalas the guy who sold them to me was using a T amp and I was pretty impressed. I would like to have 1 or 2 around to sample and also travel with. Often we go places and I lug the Heresys and big Carver around and it would be great to shed some of the weight and space and just bring along a T-amp.

Here's a great review of the Trends TA-10.1 Class D Tripath TA2024-powered integrated amplifier. In the review, David Kan, the reviewer, was so impressed with the pairing of this small amplifier and the Klipsch LaScala's, that he purchased a pair of Klipsch Synergy F-2 floorstanders. In fact, he later purchased another pair to finish out a Klipsch Synergy 5.1 system. The Trends amp is one of the better T-amps on the market, but there are some great deals out there for other Tripath-powered T-amps:

Used Bel Canto eVo 200.2 power amplifier
Used Carver Pro ZR1600 pro audio power amplifier (requires slight mods for home audio use)

For DIYers, I would recommend the following Tripath amp module available on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MKIII-Tripath-TA2020-PCB-25watt-Class-T-amplifier-SET_W0QQitemZ250564223993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item3a56caa3f9

This uses a Tripath power chip, TA2020, that is slightly higher powered than the TA2024 in the Trends and Sonic Impact amplifiers. It has decent components and they can be easily upgraded for even higher performance.

• 4 weeks later...

Aloha!

I've got one of the famous (cough) LIHAO.HIS tripath 2024-based amps coming tomorrow and I'll report back to the forum. It would've been here on Saturday except for the pesky TSUNAMI we had! [:@]

Glad there's still a Post Office for it to be stuck in! [Y]

This amp is coming off of eBay for $39.99 plus $27 shipping from HK. The terminals are gold plated RCAs in / banana plugs out and the quality of the circuit board and components looks very good. It includes a very beefy-looking 12v DC convertor that's as big as the amp (which is small, about 2"x3"x7" and 1lb).

Here's the link..

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GOLDEN-Class-T-Amp-TA2024-Mini-Amplifier-Adapter_W0QQitemZ250577267202QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5791aa02

I plan to use this set up to run these split La Scalas (LSIs) with and ipod source and based on everything I've read thus far, I should be in for a treat. Ultimately I want a battery-powered rig that I can drive to the beach and rock the LSIs for a small crowd down at Hanalei Pier on Friday evenings...either powered from the truck cig lighter or even better, 8 AA batteries. I just like the concept of this. The LSIs are so ear-bleedingly efficient, that 2 or 3 W ought to do the trick unless half the island shows up. And the LSIs fit exactly into the back of a Toyota 4runner! Life is good sometimes.

I did read that review by David Kan as part of my research into T-class amps/Tripath etc. The amp I bought looks very similar to the one reviewed except the one I got is even cheaper ($39 vs $139). But peeking inside the LIHAO looks very simliar to the Trends TA-10 based on the photos I've seen.

I plan to review three amps actually: this LIHAO.HIS 2024-based t-amp, a $100 Sherwood receiver that uses discrete circuitry for its amp, and an amp I bought for one penny on eBay that I've already listened to and does work! I'll post this review in a week or so.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on audio gear and even if I did, I am completely deaf in my right ear, so there's only so much of an audiophile I can be...lol.

I ALSO plan to write a little review of being deaf as well sometime soon and post it. I lost my hearing at age 36 after being a musician and small-kine music producer in Austin, Texas, so I can vividly remember something most of you folks take for granted - stereo sound. Lately I've been reading all about stuff like Shakti Stones and $30,000 speakers and I just want to add my voice to the madness out there. I have a PhD in sensory neurophysiology, so I know a thing or two about the way the brain processes audio information...

What I find amazing is that with the LSIs I am able to hear a stereo-like effect even though that should be impossible for someone with hearing in one ear only. I have a couple theories about how that's possible and I'll include those in my post. Wonder where a thread about deafness/audio processing in the brain belongs amongst the Klipsch Forums?

I have a Trends TA-10.1 sitting on my desk, its been torn apart the past year or so. Its another project thatll be done someday lol. Im replacing the stock tank caps with Russian PIOs, replacing the electrolytics with Elnas, new binding posts, new RCA jacks, and a new enclosure. Its one fine sounding amp...used it with my Fortes for a short time.

So I have been powering my new to me La Scala with the following a Lepai TA2020, a Marantz 2245, and a Pioneer SX-636, my impressions are thus.

T-Amp: Abosulute monter on high end clarity, very very clear sound stage, however to me it has a serious bass hole, even on the scala which we already know lack a bit on the bottom.

2245: Much much more bass, very nice mids close to the Lepai, however the highs sound a bit more muted, muddy.

SX-636: Not much to say, Im using it at the moment becuase my marantz is down for refreshing and the Lepai does not have a phonostage, it does nothing as well as the other two amps except more bass output then the Lepai.

I also have HLLY MK III tube pre-amp in the mail, which will allow me to use my turn table with the Lepai and should give an interesting sound, I will update when it comes in.

I bought the Lepai origonally to power my KG4s and I certianly enjoyed it for that I now have of them, my second one is amping line audio from a xbox 360 to the speakers in my arcade cab that I have it hooked up too. I hear they sound much better once you delete the tone controls and replace the cheap stock caps, which may be a project for a rainy day, but for a $17 amp it does a pretty remarkable job.

I had a trends 10. It sounded ok at first then the longer I listened the more highs and lows seemed not quite right perhaps rolled off. I tried a cap upgrqade because I was starting to hate it. Then in an attempt to upgrade the thing I killed it dead which was a reasonable end for the T for me.