Crites midrange diaphragms

troutboy

I decided to put the stock ones in for a bit to listen to them .... ick ... after a couple minutes of listening yes they have that slightly better height but at the sacrifice of detail, its sounds muffled in comparison to crites' midrange diaphgragms, this was especially noticeable when listening to vinyl, the thinness that i noticed with crites was simply a correction, it was more detail, was flatter, way smoother and you could hear more into the depth of the music, at the same volume level the stock was ever slightly louder, that upper midrange harshness that everyone speaks of is very very noticeable after having swapped back. Anyways it was a 1 hr experiment, I played a variety of jazz, supertramp, rush 2012, the xx, cowboy junkies trinities sessions .. all on LP, anyways it gave me the satisfaction of having made a good purchase, the crites mids are back in the speakers pumpin good tunes.

This Friday I think I'm going to order a pair for my Fortes. Already did new crossovers and tweeter upgrade from BEC and thought I would finish up the upgrades for this year.

How much did it help or sound better by replacing the crossover and tweets on your Fortes? I am going to do my FOrtes and hope it's worth it.

I recently replaced my networks on my forte II with BC networks, as well as the BC provided Titanium diaphragms. I did the networks first, it was as if a veil was lifted off the speakers. Bass, mids, and highs much more detailed than before. I added the replacement tweeter titanium diaphragms about 2 weeks later and was impressed again. I just ordered the replacement mid-range diaphragms from BC and will be replacing those sometime next week once I receive from Bob Crites. I will report back ater they burn in.

I recently replaced my networks on my forte II with BC networks, as well as the BC provided Titanium diaphragms. I did the networks first, it was as if a veil was lifted off the speakers. Bass, mids, and highs much more detailed than before. I added the replacement tweeter titanium diaphragms about 2 weeks later and was impressed again. I just ordered the replacement mid-range diaphragms from BC and will be replacing those sometime next week once I receive from Bob Crites. I will report back ater they burn in.

We did the same things and I got the same results John did![:D]

I suspect we will have similar results with the midrange diaphragms.

Well, I went to install them this evening. Pulled the mid horn from the speaker, removed the horn and diaphragm from the magent assembly, and the ring that is glued on to the magent that everything connects to became loose and I cannot realign due to the strength of the magnet. The ring pulls on one side up against the diaphragm housing and the diaphragm will not fit. Anyone have a spare midrange magnet assembly that I could buy for a forte II? I will be calling Klipsch in the morning to see if I can order a replacement. After speaking with BC this evening, first time he has ever heard of this happening and agrees next to impossible to realign the ring due to the strength of the magnet. Bob seems to think that the K-53, or the midrange magnet assembly for the Heresy is the same can anyone validate?

Thanks!

John

Thanks Moray. After Speaking with Steve Philips who is the in house "Heritage" expert at Klipsch the following is the solution:

Purchased (2) 53 TI Driver Assembly's. Everything is the same as the original in a Forte II, except that it is marked 53 TI due to the horn type it attaches to, and comes with a titanium diaphragm. It is used in Cornwall III, Heresy III, etc. If I replace the supplied titanium with a phelonic original and attach my horn to, absolutely no difference from original.

Since I will never consider selling my speakers, I am fine with. In addition, I am looking forward to see how they sound attached to my midhorn with the titanium diaphragms!? Can you believe that the entire driver with titanium diaphragms were only $84.00 each, wereas a pair of diaphragms are $80.00 a pair?! Go Figure. So for $185.00 with shipping I will have 2 new driver assemblies for the mid with titanium diaphragms.

I can always sell the titanium diaphragms if I do not like the combo, and get half the rebuild cost back. Downside is that I am without "sound for the next 5-7 days.

Just glad there is a fix that doesn't require buying a pair of speakers and stripping for parts!

I will post my thoughts on the titanium midranges that come with the new drivers once I install and burn in.

John

I will definitely post my thoughts on...... Too bad you are not closer to the Chicagoland area, you would be welcome over for a beer and a listen yourself. Gotta think it will sound good with the titanium diaphragms since they are using the same driver and diaphragm on the Cornwall and Heresy III's among others.

Forgot to mention in my last post that Klipsch does not "magnetize" the drivers until they are completely built. Got this from Steve Philips today, who checked with engineering. They said it would be nearly impossible to re-install the metal collar that attaches around the diaphragm housing and holds the horn and gasket to the magnetic driver. Not only was this the first time BC heard of this but Klipsch as well! Figures I would be the first!

John

Yeah i know huh but yeah I'd be down to get some three floyds brewski's if were in that area ... course if you were in my neck of the woods, Redhook brewery is only a couple blocks from my house, not to mention the two wineries next to it, and too many other microbreweries to list in my vicinity. ;p ;D

Wuzzer;

You can purchase the titanium diaphragms through Klipsch. The titanium diaphragms on the K53TI drivers now used in the Cornwall III and Heresey III are available through Klipsch parts at $84.00 a set. They will fit the forte II. I am waiting on a pair of new drivers with this diaphragm since after taking apart my horn etc. in order to install Bob Crites phenolics one of my drivers came apart which is not repairable. The K53 TI driver is the same as the forte II original except for the titanium diaphragm.

So I will try the new drivers with the titaniums first. I will let you know my thoughts. I have to believe that it will sound as good as the difference between the BC titanium tweeter diaphrams vs. the stock phenolic.

John

Yes, I remember being told by Steve Phillips that they are $84.00 or $85.00 per pair. I needed to purchase the K53TI dirvers as well which are $84.00 each including the titanium diaphragm. Cannot purchase the driver without the diaphragm according to Klipsch. You can purchase the titanium diaphragms without the drivers at $84.00 or $85.00 per pair. According to Steve I only needed 1 driver, but I was uncomfortable with a new & a 19 year old working together. This way they will be matched and I have 3 sets of diaphragms to work with. Titanium, BC phenolic replacement, and the original phenolic.

I will let you know my thoughts as soon as I get and burn in. They should ship on Monday from Hope AR, so I should have by Friday or Saturday of next week in Chicagoland if not sooner. Sent Fed Ex Ground.

Well, my new K-53TI drivers are on a Fed Ex truck somewhere between Memphis TN, and the Chicago area. Projected delivery is sometime tomorrow, barring any bad weather or other snafu's along the way.

I am going through withdrawl symptoms at this point! Hopefully I will be up and running tomorrow evening!

Well, my new K-53TI drivers are on a Fed Ex truck somewhere between Memphis TN, and the Chicago area. Projected delivery is sometime tomorrow, barring any bad weather or other snafu's along the way.

I am going through withdrawl symptoms at this point! Hopefully I will be up and running tomorrow evening!

John, put down the turkey leg and get those Ti drivers installed and let us know what you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [;)]