New Crossovers arrived today

Ocnorb

They sure are purdy. [:P]

Can't wait to get them in the LaScalas, but am going to do some serious listening with favorite vinyl for a few days first.

Hopefully this will enable me to readily notice any changes/improvements they have effected.

I'll be sure to report my findings

Jim

post-39534-13819539704582_thumb.jpg

post-39534-13819566694164_thumb.jpg

post-39534-13819568101132_thumb.jpg

They sure are purdy. Stick out tongue

Can't wait to get them in the LaScalas, but am going to do some serious listening with favorite vinyl for a few days first.

Hopefully this will enable me to readily notice any changes/improvements they have effected.

I'll be sure to report my findings

Jim

Hey Jim, Congratulations on the new Type AA/A Crossovers! [:P]

I think it is a good idea to get to know the music before installing them. I played a couple pieces I was only somewhat familiar with when I installed my crossovers. Then I played Roberta Flack's "First Take", which I know intimately and that is when I really heard the difference and over the next couple of weeks, I played more music I was very familiar with and I kept hearing things I'd never heard before and it just got better and better.

I don't want to go into specific's, I will just wait to hear what you think.

You are building quite a nice system Jim. Good for you! [Y] How's that new Nikko NR-1219 receiver sounding? I was thinking about it the other day and I thought it was a good choice for the La Scala's, it is of the same "Scale"! That thing is HUGE!!!! [:P]

Dennie

• 3 weeks later...

Well............... it has been a while but the new crossovers are now in use.

I
finally installed them in between listening to sides one and two of
Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here, and I must say there is a dramatic
difference right from the get go.

Not sure how to describe it yet.......... somehow the sound is bigger, clearer, cleaner and more "articulate" sounding.

I know I was/am expecting to hear differences so I will continue to listen and see what I think as time goes on.

Although
I am not sure how I will eventually be able to describe the changes as
I know the new capacitors will take some time to "normalize" but I do
know that is does sound better to me than before.

Stay tuned for more impressions as listening continues

Jim

Well, its some hours and a number of albums later and

I think the sound of the music is, overall, quite noticeably more dynamic

There seems to be "more life" in the music

The bass is not "louder" but I think sounds more defined or tighter and so is more apparent in the mix

I like it

Just listened to ELP's first albumn with some good volume

Simply Stunning is all I can say

It is like listening to new, better speakers

I think I will have to relisten to all the vinyl I have spun since getting the LaScalas

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the reports! So, was I way off when I said "it sounds like someone took a blanket off of my speakers"? [:^)]

Things just got "Clearer" and "Cleaner"!

I bet it sounds like you've got a whole new system and yes, you need to listen to ALL of your music again, because you've never heard it like this! [:P]

Keep us posted on how it sounds over the next couple of weeks or so and Congratulations on the Upgrade! [Y]

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Dennie

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the reports! So, was I way off when I said "it sounds like someone took a blanket off of my speakers"? Huh?

Things just got "Clearer" and "Cleaner"!

I bet it sounds like you've got a whole new system and yes, you need to listen to ALL of your music again, because you've never heard it like this! Stick out tongue

Keep us posted on how it sounds over the next couple of weeks or so and Congratulations on the Upgrade! Yes

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Dennie

Right from the first record the first thing I thought was what you said about your experience, but the clincher was when I listened to ELPs first album (a favourite of mine) at relatively high SPL the next morning. I was literally stunned by the experience.

And all this through a HK930 with some hum and buzz issues and even older caps than the crossovers had, so the next thing is to recap the HK930 and carry on from there.

D a m n I just cant wait :D

Jim,

Thinkin' about a set of these for my Forte IIs. How was the install? Pretty straight forward?

Frank W.

Hey Frank, it is very straight forward. A standard screw driver is all that is necessary and with one wire at a time, you'll have them replaced before you know it. [Y]

Jim, that sounds very much like my experience. It was Roberta Flack's first album (one of my favorites) for me and WOW! What a difference! They should just sound better and better the more you listen. [:P]

Dennie

I repositioned the speakers tonight making them quite a bit farther apart and more into the corners of the room.......... and once again it sounds better and better. I thought the new crossovers were the end of it and now I see that with the new and better sound from the speakers it is once again a matter of placement,,,, all over again.

They just sound better and better .......... but it is interfering with my sleep LOL.

Once I get it all dialed in with the space I have I will take some pics as it will be quite different than when I started

Jim