Bi-wire question?

Matthews

I have been asked if I was going to bi-wire by a couple of different people. Should I bi-wire my RF-7's to The Yamaha M-80? What advantages are there to this setup? Is it advisable? How do I do it? My system seems fine to me. I am running 10 gauge wire now and thought that would be plenty. I dont really understand why I should/not bi-wire. My next planned upgrade was going to be wall treatments. What should I do? Thanks for your time...Matt

I have been asked if I was going to bi-wire by a couple of different people. Should I bi-wire my RF-7's to The Yamaha M-80? What advantages are there to this setup? Is it advisable? How do I do it? My system seems fine to me. I am running 10 gauge wire now and thought that would be plenty. I dont really understand why I should/not bi-wire. My next planned upgrade was going to be wall treatments. What should I do? Thanks for your time...Matt

Hey Matt,

I think "wall treatments" are the way to go and will make a very noticeable difference. Until you "treat" the room, all those changes like bi-wiring/amping etc..., are not going to be as noticeable. If you have the ability to put up wall treatments, some of us don't because of a fireplace or whatever, I would do that now. A treated room can be a beautiful thing! [Y]

Dennie

[:D]

A treated room can be a beautiful thing! Yes

I think this will be my next step. My listening area has some very odd angles and lots of concrete. My house can best be described as a circular tri-level treehouse like thing (pictures [^o)]) Its a fun place to live but acoustically more like a cave. I think a few panels behind the couch will help with the echo problem? system.jpg picture by mattao1970apt.jpg picture by mattao1970

Yea, I know, odd apartment. I built it on an underground parking garage ramp. It is underneath a large hotel downtown. The garage space has since been converted into other use areas now so the ramp is no longer in service (all mine [:D])

Wow Matt, that is an "interesting" shaped apartment, to say the least.

Can you get some "treatments" on the side walls too. If you can catch those first reflections on the side walls, that will help to "tame" the room also.

Do you know how to make "acoustic panels" with Owens Corning fiberglass panels? (I think that is what people use) It is cheaper than buying the ready made panels.

Dennie

Wow Matt, that is an "interesting" shaped apartment, to say the least

A little different huh? Sound really bounces around in here. I was planning on putting panels in the corner on each wall, two on the back wall, one on the door(cant see in pic) and then maybe one more in the middle of the circular wall (per Dennie suggestion). I am pretty excited to hear the improvement.

I did a little research on panels and they all say to use Owens Corning 703, which is hard to find apperantly. I have a full work shop in my basement so building them wont be a problem. I cant wait to get started. It seems to be getting more noticable now that I know the problem[^o)] I think I have all the material besides the fiberglass.

Hey Matt,

Here is some great info on building "room treatments".

It is from another forum that I belong to and there are some very knowledgable people there and they will help you out if you have any questions!

Click There------------------------------HERE

Hope it helps,

Dennie

Thanks Dennie, I am going to gather all the needed materials this weekend. This will be a fun little weekend project for me. I had a friend over last night and he was blown away by how "clean" my system sounds. I think these treatments will be the icing on the cake. What do you think about fabric color? Should I get something like white with brown frames (some what blend but noticable)? White frames? Brown fabric? Off white? white/white, more hidden? Ideas?

Keep a rockin'[:D]

Matt

Hey Matt,

I went and check the site I gave you the link too and here is what he recommended.......

" All of these designs require some sort of fabric be used to wrap the
panel. I recommend of relatively open weave fabric made from a
natural fiber and not over processed with inks or anything that blocks
sound. I like simple cotton fabric as well as hemp, canvas, muslin, and
such.
"

BTW, when it comes to acoutics and such, the guy who wrote "DIY Acoustic Absorbers", knows what he is talking about.

So, look for this type of fabric first, then see what they have as far as patterns and colors. I think you're going to have to decide which way to go, but a lot of guys do them in Plaid! [:P] Then, their wife makes them change it! [^o)] LOL

Dennie

Thanks for all the direction, I want these things to do what they are intended to do so if that means I have to use plaid then plaid it is. That makes sense for a loosley woven fab. My mom spends alot of time at all the sewing/knitting places so I think she will want to help. Its always fun to include momma...

Thanks for all the direction, I want these things to do what they are intended to do so if that means I have to use plaid then plaid it is. That makes sense for a loosley woven fab. My mom spends alot of time at all the sewing/knitting places so I think she will want to help. Its always fun to include momma...

Oh Man, you've got it made, by all means include Mom! The construction part, for me, would be the easy thing. Getting the fabic to "fit" the frame is where I would have problems. [:^)]

As far as fabric's, look at Muslin...

Muslin
is most typically a closely-woven unbleached or white cloth, produced
from corded cotton yarn. Wide muslin is called "sheeting". It is often
used to make dresses or curtains but may also be used to complement
foam for bench padding. Muslin breathes well, and is a good choice of
material for clothing meant for hot, dry climates.

2muslin.jpg

Muslin,+large+pic.jpg

It come's in many of the colors you mentioned earlier, white, off white, etc...

Dennie

Ive got to tell you Dennie, you are the "Wizard of Pics".[:o] Man are you good. where do you keep all this hidden material (data). It would take me 30 minutes just to find a good picture of muslin. another 30 minutes to figure out how to load it again. Id never get any sleep[:S] Just takes some practice?

Im gonna get some sleep brother, thanks for all the tips and guidance.

Keep a rockin'

[O]