Tangent 500 to Heresys 2

rennoc442

It can be done.....

The easy way: Find a pair of used H-II cabinets and transfer the components.

The not so easy way: You would, in substance, build a pair of Heresy cabinets out of 3/4" birch (or MDF), and get someone to make the H-II motor board, but have it set in the recess against braces like the H-I.

The hard way.... Build a pair of H-II cabinets, but that requires precision table saw and router work. The construction technique is the same as the Tangent (tounge in groove inset motor board and rear panel), etc.

I've done the "not so easy way" as an experiment to have a pair of Heresy-I cabinets that can accept an H-I motor board, or an H-II motor board. Works very well and allows me to experiment around with drivers with the motor boards being a simple "quick change out".

Hey Bruce, found it shocking to see someone on the forum from the same town as me. Not too many of us on here from LaFayette.

I'm actually on the north side in Noble... close to the infamous crematory.. [:|]

We'll have to get together. I would love for someone else to hear my system and give me some feedback (no pun intended).

Bruce

Or just sell them and get something more efficient? I placed these next to my KLF-30's last night and wow! I really dont like them anymore! Damn it I shouldnt of done that! So the tweeters and the mids thats in the tangent is the same thats in the heresy II? The mids and the tweeters in my KLF blows the mids away in those tangents.

I think putting that tangents up against the klf-30's is a good reference to throw in the hopper for your consideration.

As mentioned above, using the tangent 500 drivers to fill a Heresy 2 cab is going backwards. The tangent cab is optimized for good bass response which exceeds what the laws of physics allow for a Heresy cab. a new cab would be the ticket, but probably not the best path to end up with an HII.

OTOH, if you are not satisfied with the Tangent mids, you will be similarly underwhelmed with HII mids.

The KLF 30's are fine speakers indeed.

So the tweeters and the mids thats in the tangent is the same thats in the heresy II? The mids and the tweeters in my KLF blows the mids away in those tangents.

The tweeter/mid/woofer is the same for the Tangent 400/500 as in the Heresy II. The Tangent 500 has a passive radiator instead of ports (as does the T400), the Heresy has no ports. The Tangent 400 has a Heresy II crossover, not sure abut the Tangent 500, since it uses the passive, but it's probably the same (and labeled as such on the crossover).

The biggest problem with the tangent cabs is the quality of construction. They just aren't that good a cabinet. In more solid cabinets, they would be a lot better.

The KLF-30 has two 12" woofers, the mid horn is a tractrix. It should be better that the Tangents or Heresy II. There's probably not a lot of difference between the two tweeters, it is more likely the tractrix midhorn making it sound better.

Where are you located? I might be interested in the Tangents. (I have Heresy IIs already)

Bruce