Two pairs of mains ?

alynmar

Is there any advantage to having two pairs of main speakers when using a system in a two channel mode for listening to music? Just one of those questions that has been bugging me.

Current set up: KLF10's, KSW 12 sub.

Thanks

------------------

alynmar,

sure to be conflicting opinions here.

I run four KSP300's(and SW12II)in the four corners for music and if you could hear it,

you would no doubt have your answer.My room has three solid walls with the fourth wall open on either end by say 10' and 8'.This vents the sound all over the house.I'm now thinking about adding two to four more speakers to the mix.Sorta straight stereo

"surround". Go for it! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Keith

Thanks Keith, that was what was thinking of. Its to bad there isn't some type of switch box that would allow you to use the second set as mains or surrounds for HT, or maybe there is. I don't have enough room for another set of Legends and was thinging about a pair of RB5's on stands. Do you think that would work?

Thanks

Alan

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

alynmar,

sure to be conflicting opinions here.

I run four KSP300's(and SW12II)in the four corners for music and if you could hear it,

you would no doubt have your answer.My room has three solid walls with the fourth wall open on either end by say 10' and 8'.This vents the sound all over the house.I'm now thinking about adding two to four more speakers to the mix.Sorta straight stereo

"surround". Go for it!
biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Keith

I have a Denon 3300 and it does allow just that. I have 4 Legend towers, a c7 and 2 KSF S5's. My KLF 10's and S5's are in the rear(KLF 30's up front) and the Denon allows me to play all 4 rears at once or either 1 pair at any time during anything. You can also turn the rears off if you wanted to. It's a huge plus. I love the 5 ch stereo feature too. Even then I can listen to both sets of rears.

alynmar, there is such a box,I bought one in

1994.It allows for two amp/two speaker pair

hookup,with volume.Made by Russound and cost

$169 back then.It is a nice piece of equipment that allows you to switch either speaker pair to either amp and control the volume.Ordered it from NY prior to the internet thing.Had to order by-TELEPHONE?Lets

say you had the setup RWMIN has but the rear

floorstanders were to close to seating position.You could simply turn then down.Then

switch from power amp to AV reciever for HT surround.Worked great these years but in this

modern age would like to run five speakers with La-Z-Boy convienence.Thanks for answering one of my questions too RWMIN. smile.gif

Are you wanting to run the 2 fronts at the same time? If you did you could put a pair of Y's in the front main pre-outs in the receiver to a pair of 2 channel power amps. I would make sure the amps were identical though. This will give you a greater SPL and much less effort from each speaker and amp. I've heard it...IT's LOUD!! and clear. Hear it once and you'll love it.

------------------

Onkyo TX8511

ADCOM GCD-700

KLIPSCH CF3,s

KLIPSCH CF4's

KSW-300

• 4 weeks later...

I tried having 2 sets of main speakers for stereo. They were in the 4 corners. Ended up turning off the rear 2. They destroyed the sound stage imaging. I am thinking of trying them side by side. That might work as mentioned above.

john

I've got a denon 5700 which has the 5 channel stereo option. I like it. For some specific classical music I'll switch down to just 2 channel, but I like how the 5 channel envelopes you in the sound. I use belles for front, heresys for rear, a kg4 for center, and an LF-10. Would like another belle or maybe a lascala or heresy for center, but not in the cards for a while...

B

I've got a denon 5700 which has the 5 channel stereo option. I like it. For some specific classical music I'll switch down to just 2 channel, but I like how the 5 channel envelopes you in the sound. I use belles for front, heresys for rear, a kg4 for center, and an LF-10. Would like another belle or maybe a lascala or heresy for center, but not in the cards for a while...

B