Preferences changing, considering new amps

v3spitfire

Hello. I've been using Adcom Amps for about 20 years. First on Heresy's then on my RF 7's for the last 5 years. I bought them because I liked the way they sounded - brighter vs warmer, and they have plenty of punch. When I first auditioned them, I bought them over a B&K that was definately warmer. Since then, I purchased some Scott 99ds that I use on my Heresy's now. And, I've been listening to my uncles Mc240 driving his patricians. Over time, as I've listened to them more and more, i've become more of a fan of that slightly warmer sound and am considering a more warm amp for my RF7s. Obviously, I can't replicate macintosh and patricians with what I want to spend, but have decided that I do want a slightly warmer sound after all these years. I have a RF7,RC7, RS7 set up, and use it for both movies and music. I would likely get a warmer 2 channel amp to power the fronts, and leave the adcoms for center and rears. I'm currently actively bi-amping the fronts with dbx crossovers, but may not do this depending on the amps I get. I would like to spend $500-$700 (so, used). I've never bought a used amp (other than the scott tubes), so this would be a first. I was thinking B&K, since I remember it being warm, possibly Rotel, I don't know much about Emotiva, but would consider these if someone could describe this (XPA2) amp relative to others. Are there other amps that in your opinion sound warmer, but still very detailed? I'm using a HK signature 2.0 processor, which I really like and will be keeping. I know amps are a personal preference, but for those who have heard several brands, can you point me in a direction of Warmer vs brighter? Sorry about a long question for what I know is a common question - but I don't want to swap out and not have the sound I'm looking for, and it may be unlikely to hear these amps on RF7s, so test driving may be hard. Thanks for any (and all) advice.

Del

• Like 1

The monoblocks sound great with my RF-63's. Very similar to the B&K in my opinion. When I bought these monoblocks, I was unaware how long they are(18.5 inches). They are about 2 inches too long for my tv stand when using banana clips. No room to connect with thick wood panel in rear of stand. I was really bummed when I came to that conclusion. This is the main reason I am selling them.

I have also used the 2252b/MA-700 combo with RB-5's and RB-35's with great results.

Now for the B&K, I really love the sound with my 63's. Very nice and detailed with plenty of punch while retaining some warmth.

Bill

Thanks Bill - I'll do a little research on the Marantz, but they sound interesting. Jason, in terms of upgrades to the adcoms, can you describe what you mean? Does it alter the sound?

Just like i mentioned, your amp can be upgraded with better parts for better sound.

Yes it will alter the sound, and can be customized to suit your needs.

Look local first if not there are many shops willing to customize your Adcom.

Such as :

http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_AdcomAmp_mods.html

Now for the B&K, I really love the sound with my 63's. Very nice and detailed with plenty of punch while retaining some warmth.

Bill

I have to second the B&K! I have a B&K Reference 200.7 hooked up to my RF-7s. The clarity and detail is just incredible, yet not the least bit fatiquing (at least to me). Especially considering the kind of music that I typically listen to!