First Impressions of the Harmony One

Youthman

• Moderators

I just received an early Valentines Day present from my wife!

HarmonyOne_Package

Box contents include Remote, Battery, Cradle, Manuals, Software CD, USB Cable, Power Cable and Cleaning Cloth

HarmonyOne_Contents

My first impression out of the box is that it is very stylish, fits great in my hand and the touch screen is really sweet.

I installed the CD and went through the setup menu and very easily added my Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Panasonic AE3000u Projector and Lutron Maestro Lighting by simply selecting those items from drop down menus. The user interface that allows you to add Devices and create Activities (Watch TV, Listen to Music etc) seems pretty straight forward and intuitive. Once I added the devices, I clicked Update Remote and it syncs the software with the remote.

I took the remote into the HT to test it out and it works the receiver, projector and the lighting perfectly! I love it when things work like they are supposed to.

Unfortunately I can't really setup any activities since the Harmony One does not have the innate ability to control the PS3. I will be ordering the Harmony PS3 Adapter that will enable it to do so tomorrow.

I am TOTALLY pumped about this purchase. The touch screen is fabulous and it's great to finally have a remote where all of the buttons are illuminated for access in the dark. I can't wait to get the PS3 adapter so I can add the various activities (Watch DVD, Listen to Music) etc and have it make all of the settings and dim the lights at the press of one button. This totally bumped the coolness and functionality factor of my HT up several notches.

I will need to work in some sort of repeater for the lighting since the IR is in the back of the room and blocked by one of the theater seats. I have always been able to bounce the projector remote's IR signal off my projection screen and reflect it up to the projector. The Harmony One has no problems with this either.

If you have a HT and do not have a Universal Remote, go get you one today. It's totally worth the money spent on it.

• Moderators

To be honest, when my AV friend dropped it off to me, I really wasn't that excited. In my brain I was thinking, "this is nice". No big deal kinda thing. I was probably thinking, "that's a lot of money for a remote" but after setting it up, I had a grin from ear to ear. After I added the Lutron Maestro by selecting it from a dropdown menu on the computer software, it automatically added buttons to the remote that says All on, All off, Up and Down. My Lutron system is very basic, that's all that it will do plus one "Scene" but for the Harmony to automatically know those settings are awesome to me, not to mention it looks and feels sweet too.

• Moderators

When you think of what they cost it might be hard for some to pull the trigger but I think once you use it for even a night you're hooked!

Totally agree. I was able to buy mine new for $100 since my friend is in the AV business and I did some design work for free for his business and printed them at my cost. I'm guessing he put some money towards it as a "thank you" for helping him because I don't think the dealer cost on them is $100.

• Moderators

Is the $200 mark about right for the cost?

That's what they seem to run online. Think I've seen them around $189 or so. That's why I think he kicked in some money towards it. Last year, he told me his cost was around $150 for it.

Is the $200 mark about right for the cost?

That's what they seem to run online. Think I've seen them around $189 or so. That's why I think he kicked in some money towards it. Last year, he told me his cost was around $150 for it.

I've been holding off on getting one because I'm just getting the GF to figure out the other 5 and I'm going to have to start all over. LOL

• Moderators

That's a good question because I don't really know. My last TV was a 32" CRT. We sold it since we never really used it and purchased the Projector for movies. I kinda skipped the whole LCD/Plasma deal so I have nothing to compare my projector to. I originally was considering a 50' Plasma for the HT but once I masked it off in the room, I quickly realized it would never give me the HT experience that I was looking for. The Panny has been great and now you can get the AE4000 $500 less than I paid for my AE3000u.

Original Plan....

theater_room_01.jpg

Revised Plan with a killer 19" screen, custom entertainment center (aka storage tote) and an economic substitute for a Lutron Lighting System.

room1.jpg

Final Result

1.jpg

They don't make a cinescope screen in a Plasma or LCD so I don't think I would have gone that route anyways. I think it was a good decision.

I originally was considering a 50' Plasma for the HT but once I masked it off in the room, I quickly realized it would never give me the HT experience that I was looking for.

What, you weren't happy with a plasma the size of an iMax screen??

• Moderators

Finally. Is that your smile I see glistening 50 miles to my southwest or a beacon on top of a tall radio tower?

Yes, it's been a long time coming. I just ordered the Harmony PS3 Adapter. Should have it up and running in a few days.

Christmas of 09 I bought a Harmony One for my wife since she was lost with the 5 remotes. When she first saw it she thought "There he goes again - buying me a techie present that he really wants for himself". Once I set it up she became an instant believer and totally appreciated it. Incredible WAF!

About 7 months later I foolishly left it on the floor and our dog thought it was a new toy for him. No, it did not pass that test! Well we quickly became very lost without it and of course had to get a new one. Not to be left on the floor again!

Rod

My wife and I both enjoy the harmony remotes we've been through a few and now have the One. My only gripe is that Harmonys service lack the ability to really customize devices.

Most devices we have no problem with, but the fisrt time you get a device that is not fully supported you'll be bummed out and start looking at other options.