Sub for La Scala

CapZark

• 2 weeks later...

There really isn't a 'recommended' sub from what I can tell. It's up to your ears. I've read where people shy away from the Klipsch subs. I've also heard that anything but a Klipsch isn't worth a pinch of ****.

My first sun was a KSW-12. Too directional so I added a second. Once I got the xover dialed in, I can't tell where the subs leave off and the Lascalas come in. That's just what I have - NOT - what I would would want. (15s would be great or maybe a few from the RW line)

This I can say, a good sub will pair up with any set of mains. What do you like? The low rumble or the in your face punch. Personaly, I feel that anything that overpowers the main source is simply youthful arrogance. It needs to blend. You don't want your neighbor's kid's car in your living room, right? Thump, buzz, thump, buzzzzzzzzzzzz, thump.

That being said, the badder the sub, the more oomph on those sudden explosions or those 50 ton robots hitting the ground. If I would have had the funds, I probably would have went for something a bit more. But, heck, when the kids giggle because they feel the bottom end on their butts and the wife says "Whoa!" when the meteor hits the ground, I think I'm pretty much OK for now. That may change when I go to a pre/pro and separate amp. (Soon!)

I have heard HT setups with 10" subs and yes, they are better than no sub at all but, when you then hear 12s or 15s, it's a no brainer. Just don'r skimp.

There are a lot of members here that have great stories to tell and recommendation. If they warn you about what NOT to invest in, take their advice.

Danley kit subs sold by Danley direct. Sorry to point these and not any other sub but these anihalate the competition in output and SQ at high output. For around $1000 plus shipping plus amp(200-$300) you have a monster that can keep up with large Klipsch horn loaded speakers.

I would also add that visually there are not many matching subwoofers. The Lascala, in today's speakers market, is HUGE and to me another mini fridge sized sub would look better than some small 12 or 15" sealed box sub.

Then again if you could find 4, 6, or 8 subwoofers currently forsale and they may match the output and provide even bass in a small room.

4x$400= $1600 sub system.

This is what is on my mind because I, also, am looking for suitable LF support for my system.

Velodyne's F1500 and even the HGS18/DD18 do not have the output capabilities to follow largehorn loaded Klipsch mains in a large room.

The Danley horn subs make the largest Velo sound like a weakling handicaped sub.There is no comparison, the amount of clean deep bass

is in another league. The 1812 is not much more capable than the DD18. Nice unit if you use two,then the price is way out the door.In this case two

JL Gotham subs take care of the 1812 with ease.

For a mere $1600 you have a Danley and a proper power amp /crossover to match your mains.There is no free lunch and you will not find anything worthy below that that can keep up with your mains while providing true 20Hz performance.

For a mere $1600 you have a Danley and a proper power amp /crossover to match your mains.There is no free lunch and you will not find anything worthy below that that can keep up with your mains while providing true 20Hz performance.

Or for a mere fraction of that you could build the mentioned Tuba HT for $300 or so depending on amp and driver selection.This has more than enough output at any frequency to shake down your drywall if so inclined and sound quality is unbelievable.

I feel that a few questions should be answered to develop this thread.

What is the bass requirement for the La Scala?

spec sheet from Klipsch indicates that is has a maximum output potential of 123 dB/m. I don't know the operating range. i.e. the rated frequency response -54Hz to 17KHz +/- 4dB. Is that what 123 dB covers??

If 123 dB is over the rated frequency response, then is the requirement 20Hz to 80Hz +/-3 dB with and average max SPL of 123 dB?

I wouldn't discount any sub. when you double your subs you raise your output by 3 dB AND there is much research (see harmanaudio.com) to the use of multiple subwoofers. Sure you would need the appropriate amount, many, of subs from velodyne, klipsch or JL Audio.

Still, a single or pair of subs meeting the Lascala Bass requirement is paramount with all other factors ( price, locations, Spouse, etc) and so far I think the Danely is a valid choice if it meets the Lascala Bass Requirment.

Velodyne's F1500 and even the HGS18/DD18 do not have the output capabilities to follow largehorn loaded Klipsch mains in a large room.

The Danley horn subs make the largest Velo sound like a weakling handicaped sub.There is no comparison, the amount of clean deep bass

is in another league. The 1812 is not much more capable than the DD18. Nice unit if you use two,then the price is way out the door.In this case two

JL Gotham subs take care of the 1812 with ease.

! My thoughts exactly.

Sorry for the basic question here, but I need an amp with the sub? Can't I just hook the sub to my reciever/amp? I've never had or used a sub so I don't know. Do the wires come out of the receiver and then into another power amp and then to the sub?? Thanks

Most subs come with amps and some don't

You cannot just hook it up to your receiver without a amp to power your subwoofer.

If your receiver has pre-outs or subwoofer out you can use those otherwise you will need to run speaker wires to your subwoofer then to your speakers.

Bill - If I didn't own La Scalas why would I be asking this question? I have not decided on a sub that's why I created this post. And third, I am trying to learn something about the technical aspects of adding a subwoofer to my sound system so I figured the technical board was the place to go. Sorry if these answers or my inquiry do not meet with your satisfaction.

Jason - it doesn't have to be a Klipsch sub. I'm looking into your suggestion of building one like the Tuba HT and I also liked the Danley idea. I'm just curious at this point as to how much power I should be looking for in the amp section of the sub.