Sub for La Scala

CapZark

like said before earthquake man u want best spend 1500 way it is 18 hertz 118 dbu its best deepest movie music blow u away bestthey make i heard and anyone that herd it is like wow 640 wts these pp build deshined this earthquake for 25 yrs exp of best angles ports dontw aste your time building when u can have this 1515 model about 1600 online last sub u ever buy

Jason - it doesn't have to be a Klipsch sub. I'm looking into your suggestion of building one like the Tuba HT and I also liked the Danley idea. I'm just curious at this point as to how much power I should be looking for in the amp section of the sub.

100 watts will drive the Tuba HT with authourity, i have the 240 watt Dayton unit and it does not break a sweat.

If you have the skills and the tools to build the Tuba it will be worth your time for sure.

Never heard the Danley subwoofers myself so i cannot comment on them but the word on the forum sounds positive if you have the dough.

Bill - If I didn't own La Scalas why would I be asking this question? I have not decided on a sub that's why I created this post. And third, I am trying to learn something about the technical aspects of adding a subwoofer to my sound system so I figured the technical board was the place to go. Sorry if these answers or my inquiry do not meet with your satisfaction.

Hey, don't feel sorry. I just wanted to understand your perspective. I am also looking for a sub, and my considerations are SVS PB or PC 13 Ultra, JL Audio F113, Epik Empire, Elemental designs A7-450, Danely DTS-10.. and that means a budget from 1500- 3500.

I was running a Velodyne FSR18 with my Khorns and Hersey II's and with my LaScala's I own a Velodyne FSR15 with no issues IMO, but TE is the subman on here, but for $300 for my FSR15 think I have a great sub with bang for the buck, sometimes it pays to be fruggle, just MO.

PS. If you insist on Klipsch the RSW12 would be fine, the RSW15 is overkill IMO.

Boom, I can't believe I just read that. I was coming back here to post that I just bought a used Sevo FSR15 for $350 and it is WAY more bass than I anticipated or need. I have the thing dialed down to practically nothing and it is sounds GREAT. I had to hide it behind by entertainment center. It was too much in the corner. I'm not sure how anyone could want anything more than this in a normal house. When I turn it up halfway the entire house shakes and my family goes nutso. As mentioned, I am using it for music only. My sub search is offically over.

Seems to be pretty good, Jason. I'm still mixing and matching a bit. I've noticed that blending has alot to do with where the thing is placed in the room/basement. At first glance these seem to pick up the low end real well. There is not alot of punch, but the La Scallas do such a good with that I think I will be okay. I really just needed something to pick up under 100hz and there's no problem there.

I was investigating the Epik which is on sale for $800, the Tuba kit (not sure I wanted to build right now), the Danley kit (guy never got back with me), and the Velodyne 18" when I came across the used Velodyne 15" so I just went for it. There were so many choices and considerations, I'm sort of glad I just pulled the trigger on this thing.

Boom, I can't believe I just read that. I was coming back here to post that I just bought a used Sevo FSR15 for $350 and it is WAY more bass than I anticipated or need. I have the thing dialed down to practically nothing and it is sounds GREAT. I had to hide it behind by entertainment center. It was too much in the corner. I'm not sure how anyone could want anything more than this in a normal house. When I turn it up halfway the entire house shakes and my family goes nutso. As mentioned, I am using it for music only. My sub search is offically over.

Hey CZ, to funny to read and congrats, welcome to the Velodyne family, subwoofers are what they make, and make they do! You got a great deal for $350, I found them to be the best timbre match for my Heritage after many moons of researching and sitting on the sidelines. Not bad for an "old school and vintage sub" eh?! I laughed when you said you have to dial it down, so did yours come with the remote control? Keep it by your side, you'll find yourself using the -minus(down boy) control alot', if you have carpet I would recommend some spiked feet for planting and keeping that beast in place, it does move around.

It is big, but a true beast, as you mention house, in my HT pics my FSR18 with Khorns was in an "apartment", it was interesting watching the windows rattle...ha. You were bang on when you mentioned "musical", best subwoofer yet I have heard for strictly music, VERY clean, the Paradigm Servo 15 was another close one. The Velodyne HGS and DD subwoofers were out of my price range at the time, but I'm still tickled pink at this bad boy even if 10 yrs old. It's to bad Klipsch doesn't take posts like this to heart and provide us with a "true" Heritage matching subwoofer, now that would be KILLER!

Congrats CZ, sit back and enjoy, I've never heard a bad word about Velodyne yet......

• 4 months later...

This is a trick question.

The Klipsch sub that was designed for the LaScala is the KP 480.

It's made to be placed right under the LaScala.

I think there are two versions. One with an AX and one with out. The AX means that it either did not or did have an internal crossover.

I have a 480 with out the AX and it has an internal crossover, but I think that Mike said it was a fluke, and it really should not have had one.

• 1 year later...

Welcome to the forum.

Necropost, haha.. Had to think about that one. My guy down at the audio store carries the JL home subs, and the Paradigm subs. Let me tell you, those JL home subs frickin crank! I would not toss them out of my living room for scratching my records. [:)]